Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Rice Husk Particle Board : Alternative to wood and wood-based panel materials


Ajay0

Recommended Posts

Scientists and researchers in India have developed an alternative to wood and wood-based panel products, using discarded agricultural wastes of rice husks processed to create boards with similar properties of wood. This technology has become a success story in recent times , and has helped in the conservation of many trees. 

This serves as a case study or example of how science and technology can be used in the conservation of nature with commercial benefits.

https://www.thehindubusinessline.com/multimedia/video/watch-this-chennai-start-up-creates-boards-from-agricultural-husks/article65556865.ece

https://www.entrepreneurindia.co/project-and-profile-details/Particle Board from Rice Husk

 

Quote

 

Rice hulls (or rice husks) are the hard protecting coverings of grains of rice. Construction industry is one of the fastest growing sectors in India. Rapid construction activity and growing demand of houses has lead to the short fall of traditional building materials. Bricks, Cement, sand, and wood are now becoming scares materials. Wood or wood based composite boards with lightweight & high strength are still a preferred option for construction due to their reasonable costs. The growing shortage of wood has led to the development of suitable alternative materials. Rice husk particle board is one such material which is being considered as a potential substitute for wood & wood based boards. Agricultural waste or residue is made up of organic compounds from organic sources such as rice straw, oil palm empty fruit bunch, sugar cane bagasse, coconut shell, and others. Rice husk from paddy (Oryza sativa) is one example of alternative material that can be potentially used for making particle board.

The Indian market for particleboard and plywood is estimated in value terms, at over Rs 17 billion. Of the total market, particleboard accounts for over 30% of the market with the rest over 70% accounted by plywood segments. Particle boards are slowly gaining acceptance as a substitute for other board materials such as plywood and block boards and even for sawn timber whenever it is competitive in price. This trend is accepted to strengthen further in the coming years as the availability of plywood, blackboards and timber is declining and their prices are showing an upward trend. As the pressure on the limited forest resources increases there would be a greater need to manufacture reconstituted wood boards such as particle boards which is normally manufactured from forest management wastes whereas sawn timber and plywood and block boards require prime quality logs.

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

I guess it turns out that hemp, rice hulls, and bamboo make good substitutes for some of our wood based building materials.  I think just like traditional particle board these are dependent on the addition of 8-14% resins too, so its not exactly a primitive technology or free of modern chemical wonders.  Still good though.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

The big problem is finding enough fiber to make fiber board, paper, etc.

As an engineer at Hawesville told me:  "We could make paper out of horse s--t if we could find enough horse s--t.  We use wood because there's a lot of it.

Doug

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.