Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Wigan woman 'disgusted' by police caught watching Netflix at her home

Still Waters

A woman who caught police on CCTV watching Netflix at her home during an emergency search for her has said she was "disgusted by their behaviour".

Two officers were filmed on the sofa watching television and using dumbbells at Abbygail Lawton's Wigan home.

They were responding to a report the 21-year-old had gone missing during a mental health crisis.

Greater Manchester Police (GMP) said the officers did not breach standards after she filed an official complaint.

But the force's Professional Standards Branch (PSD) said the pair "should reflect on and learn from the complaint".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-68243228

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

They were waiting for the missing girl to turn up. They must have been given access to the house- perhaps by mum? Bit cheeky of them to makes themselves at home by watching TV, etc- but perhaps they should have been told there was CCTV at the premises.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, pellinore said:

They were waiting for the missing girl to turn up. They must have been given access to the house- perhaps by mum? Bit cheeky of them to makes themselves at home by watching TV, etc- but perhaps they should have been told there was CCTV at the premises.

I'm not sure how the laws are but in uniform as public servant... making yourself comfortable in someone's home might not be covered because previously to these two nobody was ever as 'relaxed' on the job?

LOL humans doing human things. I'd say the one who went on an episode should be greatful that they wasted the two additional too also to be there if she returns home, to complain about it: I'd bet borderliner... next time just send nobody looking for her in case they're 'doing it wrong' again, Karen

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, MrsGently said:

I'm not sure how the laws are but in uniform as public servant... making yourself comfortable in someone's home might not be covered because previously to these two nobody was ever as 'relaxed' on the job?

LOL humans doing human things. I'd say the one who went on an episode should be greatful that they wasted the two additional too also to be there if she returns home, to complain about it: I'd bet borderliner... next time just send nobody looking for her in case they're 'doing it wrong' again, Karen

I agree. Mum should think herself lucky two officers were actively assigned to the case- I've known them be asked to do an urgent welfare check at 10pm and they don't get there till 6am in the morning- (to be fair it was a weekend and people were kicking off in Bournemouth night clubs). You are right- if mum makes enough fuss, she will be way down on the list next time her daughter goes missing. The police can prioritise jobs.

• Like 2