Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Political tensions with Labour and Trump

TigerBright19

Can we expect a strong or a disastrous partnership between Trump and Labour both in power?  Do they share similar interests when it comes to foreign policy and Nato and putting their opinions aside?  I remember Corbyn's government was very negative of Trump.  Hard to imagine a relationship like Bush and Blair.  Another big difference is that Trump said Britain would be first in the queue for business during the Brexit vote.  Trump and Brexit both won, but it was not enacted until 2020 when his presidency was basically over.  Assuming he wins again, will he still keep to his word and what on earth would the Anglo/American trade agreements look like with Labour signing the dotted line?  

47 minutes ago, TigerBright19 said:

Can we expect a strong or a disastrous partnership between Trump and Labour both in power?  Do they share similar interests when it comes to foreign policy and Nato and putting their opinions aside?  I remember Corbyn's government was very negative of Trump.  Hard to imagine a relationship like Bush and Blair.  Another big difference is that Trump said Britain would be first in the queue for business during the Brexit vote.  Trump and Brexit both won, but it was not enacted until 2020 when his presidency was basically over.  Assuming he wins again, will he still keep to his word and what on earth would the Anglo/American trade agreements look like with Labour signing the dotted line?  

British history differs from our cousins over the pond.

In the 1970s we had what was effectively a communist government which nearly sent our state bust. Things got so bad that unionised industries were routinely awarding themselves pay rises of 15% per annum or greater. People were having to job share and electricity was only on for two hours each day. Constant strikes occurred and it got quite violent too.

So while the far-left loved Corbyn the rest of the British people made sure that prat didn`t get into power. We got stung once, we made dam sure it didn`t happen a second time. That lunatic would have given up our nuclear weapons, given Northern Ireland to the Republic of Ireland, would quite literally be fighting Israel at the moment, and would have bankrupted our state with a spending plan so vast the only way it could be funded would be to slap vast taxes on our businesses and the successful. His politics were also wholly negative (it might be where Biden got it from) but fortunately us Brits seem more resistant to that than American society.

The current Labour leader is normal, he tells a few lies about what will happen with immigration, but he is not a communist. His politics are not wholly negative and if he wins he would be able to form a professional relationship with Trump. I suspect the Tories will win though, they have still yet to unveil their election winner (all us Conservative members already know). He is going to propose a referendum to let the British people set the level of immigration.

Trump could do with copying that. Let Biden then tell the American people they are racists and Nazis, it won`t go down well.

Correction in my OP.  Mean't to say Labour under Corbyn's leadership not his government.

Edited by TigerBright19

33 minutes ago, Electric Scooter said:

British history differs from our cousins over the pond.

In the 1970s we had what was effectively a communist government which nearly sent our state bust. Things got so bad that unionised industries were routinely awarding themselves pay rises of 15% per annum or greater....

I think the Tories have a large PR hill to climb because number 10 became a revolving door with first Cameron getting in under a coalition government and then later winning full power with his pledge that he would lead Britain during Brexit regardless of the result, and then resigned when leave won.  Then came May, Johnson, Truss, and Sunak.  I think a Labour coalition with the other parties will be the likely outcome, with Trump in office again.  Looking back at his last visit to the UK the Labour party gave many speeches condemning Trump and applauded when he was refused to speak in parliament.  Just hope that Trump can forgive and forget moments like this.

Edited by TigerBright19

8 hours ago, TigerBright19 said:

I think the Tories have a large PR hill to climb because number 10 became a revolving door with first Cameron getting in under a coalition government and then later winning full power with his pledge that he would lead Britain during Brexit regardless of the result, and then resigned when leave won.  Then came May, Johnson, Truss, and Sunak.  I think a Labour coalition with the other parties will be the likely outcome, with Trump in office again.  Looking back at his last visit to the UK the Labour party gave many speeches condemning Trump and applauded when he was refused to speak in parliament.  Just hope that Trump can forgive and forget moments like this.

Putting aside claims that it is because of this and because of that, one would expect short-term governments during economic instability which is what we have had. None of which any government could have done much about. The big shockers have been outside of our control.

I dont think we are headed for a coalition government. As things stand it will be Labour, unless the Tories pull out the immigration referendum in which case it will be them.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Electric Scooter said:

Putting aside claims that it is because of this and because of that, one would expect short-term governments during economic instability which is what we have had. None of which any government could have done much about. The big shockers have been outside of our control.

I dont think we are headed for a coalition government. As things stand it will be Labour, unless the Tories pull out the immigration referendum in which case it will be them.

A few years back Cameron needed the additional votes from the DUP to form a government.  Sinn Fein are now the ruling head of Northern Ireland who want a united Ireland, but the only way to trigger a national vote for a united Ireland is through Westminster.   I wonder which party Con/Lab would be willing to deal with Sinn Fein for their votes in the event of a hung parliament and risk starting a process that would break up the United Kingdom.  In the past America had strong influence on Irish affairs.  I wonder if the new US President would try to put pressure on the next PM to honour any agreements they make with Sinn Fein.  I wonder if the next PM would deal with Sinn Fein to secure power, knowing that it could lead to a vote that could break up the United Kingdom.  I believe something similar happened with Scotland.  The deal was made and the vote for Scottish independence took place.  I recall Cameron said the Queen had "purred" like a cat on the phone when the vote failed to pass.  Dealing with Sinn Fein post Brexit is quite another thing.

Edited by TigerBright19

I predict two general elections this year.....

The first the Tories win, the second will come from outrage over the PM giving NI a referendum on independence.