Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Baby dies as mother falls asleep after mistakenly putting her in oven

Still Waters

Something in the water in Kansas City with these BS stories?  First three guys allegedly freeze in a back yard and the homeowner didn't know it...  now a mother mistakenly puts her kid in an oven?

Not buying it.

• Like 9

Doubting the mistake part. Sadly. Should be locked up for life. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

She 'mistakenly' put her child in the oven, yet still had the presence of mind to turn the oven on. She also managed to sleep through what were no doubt the loud, horrific screams of a baby suffering an agonizing death. Unless she's a certifiable nut job or was high on drugs, and in a moment of who knows what thought her child was a turkey, there's no other reason to believe it was a mistake.

What an upsetting story.

Drug and or alcohol is my guess too.   

• Like 7

2 hours ago, ouija ouija said:

It doesn't seem possible for someone to make that mistake. :unsure2:

Not unless they were extremely intoxicated or out of touch with reality due to some other cause.  There is more to this story.  SMH...

• Like 6

There is so much wrong with this that I don't know where to begin.

It is possible that the mother was on drugs and/or alcohol but even at that how can one mistake a oven for a crib?

I don't buy the sobbing 'grievous accident' story one bit; my spidey senses tells me that this was no accident

Horrible for that poor baby but considering her mother I dare say the little one is better off.

If the mother was on drugs then did the hospital and doctors know of this and why wasn't she on a rehab program.

I just..I can't wrap my mind around this tragedy.

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, Bendy Demon said:

Horrible for that poor baby but considering her mother I dare say the little one is better off.

Sadly, I was thinking the same thing.  Damn...what a world.  I also was immediately reminded of the story out of Israel from that 10/7 attack where one of the Hamas "fighters" took an infant and baked it in an oven while holding its mother at gunpoint, forcing her to watch.  THAT is a demonic level of evil.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

2 hours ago, ouija ouija said:

It doesn't seem possible for someone to make that mistake. :unsure2:

I'm not buying this story either. Mom doesn't know the difference between an oven and a crib? They'd be in completely different rooms as most people don't put a baby's crib in the kitchen. And she knew to close the door and turn the oven on. Mom needs to go to prison for life without parole.

• Like 5

Another news article on this story, with photos of the mother and baby. It mentions that friends of the mother have stated that her mental health may have played a role. She apparently chose to remain silent when taken to the police station, but did agree to a blood test and also gave them her phone.

https://www.the-express.com/news/us-news/127466/missouri-mom-bakes-baby-death-oven-crime

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Something about this whole scenario just doesn't seem to add up in the least. So it seems that the mother was aware of her own mental issues as were her friends yet no one offered her help. Am I somewhat correct?

If she knew she had a problem then she also had to have had enough of her faculties in order to know the difference between a oven and a crib.

Still, there is something incredibly off about all of this.

• Like 5

If she was aware enough to know she had a problem and felt she wanted to kill her child, why not take him to a friend or relative? The Police?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, ouija ouija said:

If she was aware enough to know she had a problem and felt she wanted to kill her child, why not take him to a friend or relative? The Police?

Maybe in her twisted 'logic' she felt it was easier to sacrifice a life than to admit she needed help but unfortunately the results of such faulty thinking only leads to worse consequences.

But then again of she wanted to dispose of the wee one then I suppose she felt she could just blame mental illness for her actions figuring she would get off more easily. In some way I feel everyone close to her (family mostly) shares a bit of blame; they knew (I assume) yet sat on their hands and hoped for the best.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Bendy Demon said:

Maybe in her twisted 'logic' she felt it was easier to sacrifice a life than to admit she needed help but unfortunately the results of such faulty thinking only leads to worse consequences.

But then again of she wanted to dispose of the wee one then I suppose she felt she could just blame mental illness for her actions figuring she would get off more easily. In some way I feel everyone close to her (family mostly) shares a bit of blame; they knew (I assume) yet sat on their hands and hoped for the best.

I don't think anyone would think it would go this far.   I have a brother with a wife and kids.  I wouldn't let my daughters stay the night over there but I would not actively try to have the kids removed.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Myles said:

I don't think anyone would think it would go this far.   I have a brother with a wife and kids.  I wouldn't let my daughters stay the night over there but I would not actively try to have the kids removed.

There are, sadly, some people will go to any length to justify their actions. What puzzles me is that apparently this woman as well as her friends and family were aware of her issues and apparently seemed cognizant of the fact that it could be serious then why not offer to help with babysitting while she rested or something?

If they knew the illness was bad enough that she would pose a danger to her baby then wouldn't it be prudent to do something to make sure both of them are safe?

Still..something is not fitting together too well right now.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bendy Demon said:

I agree!  Imagine the guilt of living with the knowledge that you might have saved that poor innocent a horrific death by doing something as simple as making an anonymous call to police or state social services.  :(

• Like 3

1 hour ago, and-then said:

I agree!  Imagine the guilt of living with the knowledge that you might have saved that poor innocent a horrific death by doing something as simple as making an anonymous call to police or state social services.  :(

Hindsight is 20/20.  

I'm sure there were some signs, but unless there is obvious outward abuse and neglect there isn't much that can be done.  

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Edumakated said:

Hindsight is 20/20.  

I'm sure there were some signs, but unless there is obvious outward abuse and neglect there isn't much that can be done.  

No one who has had no charges of abuse/neglect is just going to pop the baby in the oven, turn it on then take a nap then claim afterward that they 'thought' the oven was a crib.

So either she was horrifically high on drugs or this was premeditated and was hoping to use her mental illness as some sort of defense.

However there is information lacking in this story; did she have other children? Married? What sort of mental illness did she have? Is she an alcoholic? Drug user? Things like this don't just come out of the blue.

This whole story seems odd from the get-go.

• Like 2

She may be suffering from postpartum psychosis which can cause drastic changes in behaviour. Some women who have it may even attempt to harm their children. I also read an article where someone (a relative I believe) mentioned something about her going off her mental illness meds so at she could breastfeed her baby. We can only speculate at this point, but whilst I can understand the possibility of being so out of it you mistake the oven for a crib, I cannot understand why then, she would turn the oven on. That's the bit that bothers me most.

• Like 3