Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Bibical Narrative & 4 Ancient Rulers

ReadTheGreatControversyEGW

** There are over 25,000 archaeological finds which support/coincide with Biblical narrative. 

4 of 25,000: 

#1 The Mesha Stele 840 BC, King Mesha of Moab. 

"Both documents, 2 Kings 3 [Bible] and the Mesha Inscription, describe the same event, the revolt of Mesha, but from entirely different perspectives." 

https://evidencetobelieve.com/the-mesha-stele-or-moabite-stone/

#2 Merneptah Stele of Pharaoh Merneptah 1213 to 1203 BC 

"The Merneptah Stele (or Israel Stele) is an engraved stone slab which describes Pharaoh Merneptah’s military victories in 1207 b.c.e. The stele itself is dated to the year 1205 b.c.e. ... It contains the earliest undisputed extra-biblical reference to Israel to date." 

https://armstronginstitute.org/122-merneptah-stele-proving-israels-3200-year-existence

• Like 1

#3 Tel Dan Stele - "King of the House of David." 9th century BC. 

"The Aramaic text scrawled on the stele revealed the boasting of an Aramean king who erected the stele to commemorate his military victory at Tel Dan." "specifically mentions a triumph over the “House of David.” "Now the kingdom will return to the house of David... He set up one in Bethel, and the other put he in Dan" —1 Kings 12:26–33." 

https://waynestiles.com/blog/tel-dan-stele-providential-ironies-in-favor-of-king-david

#4 Kurkh Stele of Shalmaneser III - "Ahab, the Israelite." 

"The Kurkh Monolith confirms the existence of an Israelite king, mentions the name of a biblical king of Syria, provides evidence of peaceable relations and military cooperation between Israel and Syria, and demonstrates the strength of the Northern Kingdom of Israel in the early ninth century b.c.e. 

Now on display in the British Museum, these artifacts tell an intriguing 2,800-year-old story of Israel’s resistance against an imperialistic Assyrian Empire." 

https://armstronginstitute.org/130-the-kurkh-monolith-confirms-king-ahab-the-israelite

** https://logosherald.com/2018-biblical-archaeological-evidence-archaeology-findings-prove-bible/#:~:text=25%2C000 Finds Supporting Bible Record.,Archaeological Evidence from Prominent Figures%3A“
--

• Like 2

Anybody ever heard of these? Pretty cool uh? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, ReadTheGreatControversyEGW said:

Yes....aaaannnnnd? 

The Merneptah stele just states a war against Canaanite nomads. It doesn't prove a kingdom.

The Mesha Stele just states the House of Omri. It also disagrees with 2 Kings. 

Tel Dan mentions David's House .....woo hoo....

Nobody denies David wasnt a petty warlord who founded a city-state or the existence of Israel. Just your blatant misinterpretation of the Bible and  the rest of your lies.

• Like 7

Why are these even considered a big deal? While there was some measure of historical accuracy to them it was never to the degree the Bible claimed. 

cormac

• Like 8

Two OP's and I still missed the discussable point of the thread.

Oh wait, there's a third OP.

3 hours ago, ReadTheGreatControversyEGW said:

Uh? Yes, cool.

I don't think we've ever completely agreed on anything before. :tsu:

• Like 6

I agree with everyone else in this thread.  The OP is not particularly enlightening.  No one would argue that places in the Bible exist, like the city of Ur, where Abram was said to be from.  We have an archaeological record showing that place existed, and not only that, we can read their writings.  So yeah, not a big deal.

Making an axe head float on top of the water would be not as easy to believe.

• Like 6

Common sense, wisdom, Biblical archeology and even "scientific facts" have proven true many things written in the Bible. As time goes by, more and more will be revealed. Supernatural activities will become more prevalent in the world, it will become worldwide and acknowledged by the majority. The thing tho is that when it happens many of us won't be able to discern between which side is good and which side is evil. We won't be able to tell by looking. We'll be tricked very easily because we're taught to go by our senses and by that which is well spoken of.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

27 minutes ago, ReadTheGreatControversyEGW said:

Common sense, wisdom, Biblical archeology and even "scientific facts" have proven true many things written in the Bible. As time goes by, more and more will be revealed. Supernatural activities will become more prevalent in the world, it will become worldwide and acknowledged by the majority. The thing tho is that when it happens many of us won't be able to discern between which side is good and which side is evil. We won't be able to tell by looking. We'll be tricked very easily because we're taught to go by our senses and by that which is well spoken of.

Common sense, wisdom, Biblical archeology and even "scientific facts have nothing to do with the garbage you post. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

Common sense, wisdom, Biblical archeology and even "scientific facts have nothing to do with the garbage you post. 

She can’t even tell the difference between what’s real and what’s fake. Her opinions can be dismissed for lack of evidence and wishful thinking. 

cormac

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

7 hours ago, ReadTheGreatControversyEGW said:

Aaannnnnd.....the thread devolves to preaching nonsensical fear and doom.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

11 hours ago, ReadTheGreatControversyEGW said:

You can't tell the difference between good and evil now. Lies are evil. Get it!

But then again you never experienced real evil. You have to actually leave your bedroom in your parents house for that. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, HerNibs said:

In a thousand years from now, digging up London will NOT make Harry Potter real.

Nibs

I don't know. Imagine some enterprising 31st Century archeologist unearthing this gem

kingscross.jpg.dd5a74da8054a57e22a0602d1a2444a8.jpg

and its context securely dates it to the late 20th Century, known as the "Hogwart's Period."

It would be provocative of me to observe that that would be more tangible evidence than anything Jesus has. So I won't.

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

15 minutes ago, eight bits said:

It would be provocative of me to observe that that would be more tangible evidence than anything Jesus has. So I won't.

🤣

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, HerNibs said:

In a thousand years from now, digging up London will NOT make Harry Potter real.

Nibs

I hope not since Hogwart's was in Scotland and the Dursley's lived in Surrey. :w00t:

Sorry, couldn't resist. 

cormac

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, cormac mac airt said:

I hope not since Hogwart's was in Scotland and the Dursley's lived in Surrey. :w00t:

Sorry, couldn't resist. 

cormac

😝

Nibs

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

"though He [Jesus] had done so many miracles before them, yet they believed not on him." Same with the individuals delivered from Egyptian bondage (Exodus).They saw the miracles and were excited but there was no real change. They continually met challenges and obstacles with the same mindset of doubt and unbelief, even trying to kill Moses or return back to slavery. 

As soon as they came in contact again with a difficult situation, they behaved as they did before. God was working great miracles among them but they had no faith even though He was right there and they could see the supernatural pillar of fire by night and a whole bunch of other supernatural manifestations of God. 

Some people say I'll believe it when I see it. Smokescreen, I believe honestly. Miracles and wonders affects different people in different ways - brings some to their knees. Others, it's entertainment and excitement, stirs up curiosity. But nothing changes. So you could receive a million and one different kinds of evidence indicating that a certain reality is true [i.e. this person isn't right for you] but if it isn't the kind of reality you want, you'll pass 'em all by. 

Got a question for anyone who have an answer. If Jesus appeared to you today, told you to follow Him and keep His commandments, would you? 

15 minutes ago, ReadTheGreatControversyEGW said:

Got a question for anyone who have an answer. If Jesus appeared to you today, told you to follow Him and keep His commandments, would you? 

No. But I'd buy the first round.

• Haha 6

6 minutes ago, eight bits said:
22 minutes ago, ReadTheGreatControversyEGW said:

No.

Why? 

Edited by ReadTheGreatControversyEGW

25 minutes ago, ReadTheGreatControversyEGW said:

If Jesus appeared to you today

Which one?  Jesus the pacifist, Jesus the judge of sinners, Jesus the hippie, Jesus the metaphorical family-cleaving sword-wielder, Jesus the divine healer, Jesus the conceited 'savior', Jesus the guy who was likely just a normal benevolent, well-meaning human and was tragically killed unjustly, just like millions before and after him?  There are a lot of different Jesuses to choose from.  To be honest though from what little I've read of your conception of him and depending on the degree to which your views and attitudes are shared by him, I definitely wouldn't 'follow' your Jesus.  Not much appeal.

31 minutes ago, ReadTheGreatControversyEGW said:

So you could receive a million and one different kinds of evidence indicating that a certain reality is true [i.e. this person isn't right for you] but if it isn't the kind of reality you want, you'll pass 'em all by. 

I'll just assume that you were also including yourself in this quote as far as just ignoring things that don't fit your reality, one of the things that's semi-common amongst most conceptions of Jesus is that he's not a big fan of hypocrisy...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, ReadTheGreatControversyEGW said:

"though He [Jesus] had done so many miracles before them, yet they believed not on him." Same with the individuals delivered from Egyptian bondage (Exodus).They saw the miracles and were excited but there was no real change. They continually met challenges and obstacles with the same mindset of doubt and unbelief, even trying to kill Moses or return back to slavery. 

As soon as they came in contact again with a difficult situation, they behaved as they did before. God was working great miracles among them but they had no faith even though He was right there and they could see the supernatural pillar of fire by night and a whole bunch of other supernatural manifestations of God. 

Some people say I'll believe it when I see it. Smokescreen, I believe honestly. Miracles and wonders affects different people in different ways - brings some to their knees. Others, it's entertainment and excitement, stirs up curiosity. But nothing changes. So you could receive a million and one different kinds of evidence indicating that a certain reality is true [i.e. this person isn't right for you] but if it isn't the kind of reality you want, you'll pass 'em all by. 

Show me ONE verified miracle.  ONE instance where it cannot be explained, the source isn't second hand, copied via mundane acts or is backed up by actual evidece.  Just one.

If Jesus showed up today would I follow him?  Whole bunch of "depends" right there. Personally, if Jesus, actual "son of god" guy showed up I'd also buy him a drink and ask him why the hell he would follow his "father" who treats him like crap and sacrifices him.

Nibs

• Like 2
  • Thanks 7

2 hours ago, ReadTheGreatControversyEGW said:

Exodus happened? Do you have archaeological evidence? Because there doesn't seem to be any for that. The Egyptians have no record either. 

If the Biblical Jesus, who there is no evidence for either, showed up he would certainly be disgusted with ole Ellen. You know, false prophets and all that.

Edited by Piney
The End Times is for hopeless losers
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4

9 minutes ago, Piney said:

Exodus happened? Do you have archaeological evidence? Because there doesn't seem to be any for that. The Egyptians have no record either. 

If the Biblical Jesus, who there is no evidence for either, showed up he would certainly be disgusted with ole Ellen. You know, false prophets and all that.

Darn it!  THAT was the other question I had for her post.  It was the first thing that popped into my mind and by the time I was typing...I couldn't remember.

So I will add

"Yeah, where is the evidence for Exodus?"

Nibs

• Thanks 5

4 minutes ago, HerNibs said:

Darn it!  THAT was the other question I had for her post.  It was the first thing that popped into my mind and by the time I was typing...I couldn't remember.

So I will add

"Yeah, where is the evidence for Exodus?"

Nibs

At Hogwarts in Richard Harris' filing cabinet. Right next to @cormac mac airts build a perfect human who eats leaves and doesn't poop notebooks.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6