Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Handheld Console Advice

Alex_Rogan

I'm thinking about buying a handheld game system and hoping for some advice. Are there any options for something that doesn't require internet/wifi, has decently priced games, and a good selection of games? I like the older RPGs and nostalgic retro stuff.

Maybe? I have no idea about what's available these days.

Everything requires wifi

Steam deck is the way to go. You can run any emulator on it plus you can add any launcher (GOG, EPIC, ETC) and you have acces sto the steam store. 

• Like 2

@Occupational Hubris

Thank you.

The Steam Deck looks interesting. I heard about Steam awhile ago. It caught my attention because it had games available from the old Commodore-64. Do you think games like that would work on the deck? Sorry. I don't know anything about Steam.

I just found info about the RG351. It looks like it may be closest to what I'm looking to find.

Might be a good "starter" handheld?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Alex_Rogan said:

@Occupational Hubris

Thank you.

The Steam Deck looks interesting. I heard about Steam awhile ago. It caught my attention because it had games available from the old Commodore-64. Do you think games like that would work on the deck? Sorry. I don't know anything about Steam.

I just found info about the RG351. It looks like it may be closest to what I'm looking to find.

Might be a good "starter" handheld?

You can run just about anything on a steam deck. 'Ive been playing Elden Ring and some old PSX games. Might add an SNES emulator. 

It runs Linux natively, but you can dual boot another OS

Edited by Occupational Hubris
  • Thanks 1

There are plenty of Sega and Nintendo handheld devices that emulate the old classics.  Most have the essential games already built in, and have a SD card slot so that more games (roms) can be downloaded and transferred over.  Although I'm not sure if people these days still use SD cards, which many used for digital cameras.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Gameboy. 

• Thanks 1