Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Trans women’s milk as good as breast milk, says NHS trust

itsnotoutthere

Avoiding Hormones in Meat and Poultry?

I’m trying to feed my family healthy foods but can’t afford to buy organically-raised chickens and beef to avoid the hormones and antibiotics in meat, eggs and dairy products. I really can’t give them vegetarian foods at every meal. Any suggestions?

I’m glad you asked this question because it gives me a chance to set the record straight on use of hormones in commercially raised animals. This is a legitimate concern because hormone residues in food can increase the risk of breast cancer and other reproductive system cancers among women and may promote development of prostate cancer in men.

Some people think that all commercially raised animals – cattle, hogs, sheep, and poultry – are fed hormones as growth promoters. In fact, the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) does not permit the use of hormones in raising hogs or chickens, turkeys and other fowl. That is why the USDA does not allow the use of the term "no hormones added" on labels of pork or poultry products unless it is followed by a statement explaining that "Federal regulations prohibit the use of hormones."

cont...

Avoiding Hormones In Meat Or Poultry? | Andrew Weil, M.D. (drweil.com)

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Michelle said:

Avoiding Hormones in Meat and Poultry?

I’m trying to feed my family healthy foods but can’t afford to buy organically-raised chickens and beef to avoid the hormones and antibiotics in meat, eggs and dairy products. I really can’t give them vegetarian foods at every meal. Any suggestions?

I’m glad you asked this question because it gives me a chance to set the record straight on use of hormones in commercially raised animals. This is a legitimate concern because hormone residues in food can increase the risk of breast cancer and other reproductive system cancers among women and may promote development of prostate cancer in men.

Some people think that all commercially raised animals – cattle, hogs, sheep, and poultry – are fed hormones as growth promoters. In fact, the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) does not permit the use of hormones in raising hogs or chickens, turkeys and other fowl. That is why the USDA does not allow the use of the term "no hormones added" on labels of pork or poultry products unless it is followed by a statement explaining that "Federal regulations prohibit the use of hormones."

cont...

Avoiding Hormones In Meat Or Poultry? | Andrew Weil, M.D. (drweil.com)

I don`t know what is going on with American food, I feel sorry for you lot across the pond.

You could buy some goats or chickens.

3 minutes ago, Electric Scooter said:

I don`t know what is going on with American food, I feel sorry for you lot across the pond.

You could buy some goats or chickens.

This is a UK thread. 😄  I simply interjected that in the US it's been made illegal to use homones to produce more food and dairy. The side effects are bad enough for adults. I can't imagine what hormones and the other misc drugs to make men lactate would do to a newborn. Okay y'all can start calling me a transphobe now.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

Or, joyfully, humanity has not reached its pinnacle yet.

Yeah, I'm sure you're right.  We'll get it right.  People who ignore history and ignore the base nature of humanity as a way of dreaming of a better future aren't changing the world.  They're just blowing sunshine up their own ****.  Anyone who has lived 50 years or so and who claims to be objectively looking at our world and seeing positive outcomes is either delusional or lying, IMO.  This nation and the wider West is falling apart in real-time at an accelerated pace.  But by all means, keep that positive attitude.  

Here's an example from today -

https://www.oann.com/newsroom/massachusetts-girls-high-school-sports-team-forfeits-after-6-foot-male-identifying-as-female-injures-3-players/

THAT^ is INSANITY and it would never have been allowed even 10-15 years ago.  The world is losing its mind and morality at a staggering pace.  If that seems positive to you then bless your heart...

1 hour ago, Michelle said:

Some people think that all commercially raised animals – cattle, hogs, sheep, and poultry – are fed hormones as growth promoters.

I used to think this with meat chickens but they are just bred to grow fast, so much so they rarely live past 3 months old if raised at home but they get the chop at around 6 weeks anyway. It's the antibiotics used on intensively farmed animals that is the cause for real concern.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Michelle said:

This is a UK thread. 😄  I simply interjected that in the US it's been made illegal to use homones to produce more food and dairy. The side effects are bad enough for adults. I can't imagine what hormones and the other misc drugs to make men lactate would do to a newborn. Okay y'all can start calling me a transphobe now.

Are good growth hormones typically used to induce prolactin?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, and-then said:

Yeah, I'm sure you're right.  We'll get it right.  People who ignore history and ignore the base nature of humanity as a way of dreaming of a better future aren't changing the world.

How's that theocracy going?

1 hour ago, and-then said:

Yeah, I'm sure you're right.  We'll get it right.  People who ignore history and ignore the base nature of humanity as a way of dreaming of a better future aren't changing the world.  They're just blowing sunshine up their own ****.  Anyone who has lived 50 years or so and who claims to be objectively looking at our world and seeing positive outcomes is either delusional or lying, IMO.  This nation and the wider West is falling apart in real-time at an accelerated pace.  But by all means, keep that positive attitude.  

Here's an example from today -

https://www.oann.com/newsroom/massachusetts-girls-high-school-sports-team-forfeits-after-6-foot-male-identifying-as-female-injures-3-players/

THAT^ is INSANITY and it would never have been allowed even 10-15 years ago.  The world is losing its mind and morality at a staggering pace.  If that seems positive to you then bless your heart...

I understand what you are saying and I have some sympathy for it.  You quote an article above.  It is an event, it has no permanence. We are 300+ million people in the US.  What we call the West  probably 700 million to a billion.  With that many people, there are always a lot of experiments; people try a lot of different thing.  Most of them never affect the culture, they only last for a generation or less.   Some that might add to the good and justice of our society, stick for longer.  

In my youth 60 years ago,  it was sport for jocks to beat up ****** and everybody else to watch.  Coaches took an indulgent time to break it up.   Girls that played volleyball and basketball to a lesser extent were accepted.  Girls that chose tennis, or track events  were too manly for total acceptance.  Girls who were smart were told they were not.  Women were told they didn't have the intellect for math or science.  I went to integrated schools.  Blacks were also told they were not smart enough for math or science in college. Mexicans did not go to our schools and Chinese and Indians were viewed as, humorous curiosities, tolerable as long as they were the butt of jokes. 

Over time, some people began to realize they don't feel good about some of those things, and that overall it is not beneficial to a just and prosperous society. .  When that becomes enough people, society changes.

I can't wish any of the things I mentioned back to plague another generation.  I do not think it adds to greatness of the nation, or more  importantly, justice and comfort to all of its citizens.  The acceptance I see today is better IMO.

13 hours ago, Rolltide said:

can-you-milk-me.gif

Thought of this immediately.  Thank you for finding and posting it.

• Thanks 1