Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Could aliens be using supernovae explosions to get our attention ?

This is a more recent slant on an older idea. Before the regular nature of the pulsings of quasars was understood, they were theorized by some to be intelligent signals created by extraterrestrials.

• Like 6

This is what astrophysicists initially thought about pulsars in the 1960s. I'm glad no one besides laypeople still think like this. 

Edited by asper
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, MysteryMike said:

Go home internet. You're drunk.

Well said.

I mean, I expect most folks to be centered on self... but if they published this article with a straight face, super novas are an attempt to get the attention of mammalian fleas inhabiting infesting a moist speck of dust circling an insignificant dot of light in the universe?  That's a new level of narcissistic self absorbtion.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

:lol: Honestly , sounds like one of the most ridiculous things i have heard.From what i understand , these things can be light years across , who the heck is gonna create something like that? And if the rest of the universe is seeing it as a natural occurrence , what good would that do? I mean if it was a giant smiley face explosion , it might be different.

Edited by Razman
  • Like 3

The idea seem pretty silly to me, but it did make me think of this great short story by Athur C. Clarke. Enjoy.

• Like 1

Quote from article:

This is a great demonstration of how we can prioritize our search efforts by considering what sorts of synchronization schemes other species might employ to get our attention

'Our' attention? What, just humans?  What makes  astronomer Jason Wright feel aliens know we exist?

1 hour ago, Razman said:

:lol: Honestly , sounds like one of the most ridiculous things i have heard.From what i understand , these things can be light years across , who the heck is gonna create something like that? And if the rest of the universe is seeing it as a natural occurrence , what good would that do? I mean if it was a giant smiley face explosion , it might be different.

They did not make this clear  but, they are not saying the aliens 'create' the supernova, they are saying the aliens go to the supernova and make some kind of signal for others to see

It seems to me that it's just as hard to get to a supernova as it is to get to some other solar system the same distance away, but way more dangerous.

In other words, the supernova happens, and it takes thousands of years to reach it and make your signal. Is it worth it? and it's dangerous to approach that region of space. 

bad idea. IMO

3 hours ago, quiXilver said:

I mean, I expect most folks to be centered on self... but if they published this article with a straight face, super novas are an attempt to get the attention of mammalian fleas inhabiting infesting a moist speck of dust circling an insignificant dot of light in the universe?  That's a new level of narcissistic self absorbtion.

I haven't observed such a quite curious case of self-loathing in quite some time. Fascinating.

I think all that has been needed to say on this thread has been covered. Could they? Who knows. Would any advanced intelligent species be that irresponsible? Also, don't know. However, I think it is safe to assume the answer should be "no".

Edited by Trelane
  • Like 4

Stuff that can take on random shapes like this abstract painting, does anyone see the woman?

woman.thumb.jpg.ea23502d3e82eae57e470820d3bde69f.jpg

9 minutes ago, trevor borocz johnson said:

Stuff that can take on random shapes like this abstract painting, does anyone see the woman?

No but I do see the murder victim though.

• Haha 3

33 minutes ago, trevor borocz johnson said:

Hubba Hubba.💞😍

2 hours ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

They did not make this clear  but, they are not saying the aliens 'create' the supernova, they are saying the aliens go to the supernova and make some kind of signal for others to see

Even then , what are they going to do with something that could be light years across?

• Like 1

well... you see, it wasn't a supernova. It happened a long long time ago, in a galaxy far far away.

It was the planet Alderaan exploding after the Death Star went fully operational.

An intriguing hypothesis indeed! The idea of God as an alien race blowing up stars to send powerful messages coukd be hinted in historical events like the shining Star of Bethlehem during the birth of Jesus. Also, God making references to "us" and his hierarchy frequently, not to mention the intriguing part of the Genesis which says we were created after his image. So if we can add this layer of interpretation of the religious narration, the point is valid.

Edited by qxcontinuum

7 hours ago, quiXilver said:

Well said.

Mammals that they don't even know exist.  Just set off a kaboom and ... someone notices it?  Someone you can't communicate with and who is too far away to communicate with?

Yeah.  Sounds legit.  (not)

• Thanks 2

On 2/19/2024 at 8:44 PM, trevor borocz johnson said:

That's mothman that bigfoot crushed with a rock.on a wall. Was buzzing arround the damn campfire.

• Like 2

How about them solar flares? They say they're natural but why not aliens? 🤔

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2