Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Scientists shocked to discover new species of green anaconda, the world’s biggest snake

Waspie_Dwarf

Soon to be seen in a Florida swamp near you. Some rich fool will buy one, then release it after it tries to eat little Bobby Jr.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Hankenhunter said:

Soon to be seen in a Florida swamp near you. Some rich fool will buy one, then release it after it tries to eat little Bobby Jr.

Isn't there already a big snake hunt competition in Florida?

It's about Python though, are there Anacondas in the US?

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, MrsGently said:

Isn't there already a big snake hunt competition in Florida?

It's about Python though, are there Anacondas in the US?

It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest. There's always one nut job that thinks it's a great idea til it eats the cat, and the dog. Then releases it. Multiply that by the lower states. 

Louisiana is infested with pythons. There's a sizable bounty on them ($250+) and the gators hunters have switched over to snake hunting. 3-4 snakes caught a day is considered a so-so day. You do get bit a lot though, lol.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, Hankenhunter said:

It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest. There's always one nut job that thinks it's a great idea til it eats the cat, and the dog. Then releases it. Multiply that by the lower states. 

Louisiana is infested with pythons. There's a sizable bounty on them ($250+) and the gators hunters have switched over to snake hunting. 3-4 snakes caught a day is considered a so-so day. You do get bit a lot though, lol.

But snakes are really awesome, scary but beautiful and impressive. But I mean... I wouldn't let that thing out of its habitat.

But that is also something I really love, I used to have two iguanas and that is to me too some form of art, to build great terrariums.

Like the following, but you can build that as jungle too, with little fog sprinklers and such, water-run through it. We made ours out of a green house, repurposed the dining room which was open to the living room and had three big windows put it in there... keeping it clean is a b**** though.

I drifted I am sorry

terrarium.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, MrsGently said:

But snakes are really awesome, scary but beautiful and impressive. But I mean... I wouldn't let that thing out of its habitat.

But that is also something I really love, I used to have two iguanas and that is to me too some form of art, to build great terrariums.

Like the following, but you can build that as jungle too, with little fog sprinklers and such, water-run through it. We made ours out of a green house, repurposed the dining room which was open to the living room and had three big windows put it in there... keeping it clean is a b**** though.

I drifted I am sorry

terrarium.jpg

The problem is that constrictor snakes need to be handled often to reinforce the "he's the bringer of food, not food" training. Eventually the snake gets to big to be a cuddle buddy. 

The above habitat would need to be reinforced with thick plexiglass, and frame beefed up. It's very esthetically pleasing though.

• Like 3

Florida DistributionGreen anacondas have had relatively few sightings in Florida with a majority of them found around central and north central Florida. They have been reported as far north and Gainesville and as far south as Miami near Everglades City.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Common Garter Snake (Thamnophis sirtalis) · iNaturalist

When I was young I had a garder snake as a pet, but the boys came over and drowned it 😑

• Sad 4

1 hour ago, docyabut2 said:

When I was young I had a garder snake as a pet, but the boys came over and drowned it 😑

A nice snake.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Hankenhunter said:

The problem is that constrictor snakes need to be handled often to reinforce the "he's the bringer of food, not food" training. Eventually the snake gets to big to be a cuddle buddy. 

The above habitat would need to be reinforced with thick plexiglass, and frame beefed up. It's very esthetically pleasing though.

No wild animal should be a pet. Especially a reptile or amphibian. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, docyabut2 said:

I had a pine snake until my grandfather explained it shouldn't be in a cage and had me let it go.

The  snakes are dry, handing them.  but I can `nt  stand touching  the worms that  are so slimy :(

• Haha 2

On 2/20/2024 at 3:16 PM, docyabut2 said:

Thanks, docy. 👍

Dutch biologist Dr Freek Vonk, who can be seen in this footage swimming alongside a 26-foot southern green anaconda (Eunectes murinus), is a co-author of the academic article detailing the newly described northern green anaconda (Eunectes akayima).

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/scientists-discovers-species-anaconda-amazon-171945438.html

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

One Of World's Biggest Snakes Found Dead In Amazon Just Weeks After Its Discovery

Just weeks after making her public debut, one of the world’s largest snakes – a new species of giant anaconda – has been found dead in the Amazon rainforest. 

The tragic news was shared earlier this week by Professor Freek Vonk on Instagram, who said: “With enormous pain in my heart I want to let you know that the mighty big green anaconda I swam with was found dead in the river this weekend.”

https://www.iflscience.com/one-of-worlds-biggest-snakes-found-dead-in-amazon-just-weeks-after-its-discovery-73594

• Sad 2