Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why America hates its children

Kittens Are Jerks

30 minutes ago, Edumakated said:

That's the problem though... government rarely "invests wisely".  As has been noted, many of the problems are due to over regulation, bureaucracy, self-dealing...  not too mention culture.

Usually, the best results are when we reduce the roll of government and allow people to address problems locally on a smaller scale without the bureaucratic oversight and management of funds.  This is why churches, private schools, etc are often way more successful at addressing community needs than the government.  They are closer to the problem...

I can understand why that would make sense in some instances. But there are also some significant investments that the current administration has proposed, such as universal preschool, extending the Child Tax Credit expansion, and expanding free school meals to millions more children. Those would have to be done at federal and/or state levels would they not?

• Like 1

'Murica is a financially predatory society on all fronts.

Dismal and disheartening to witness.

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Piney said:

And I just signed a contract to pay 1,700.00 a month in rent.

I might as well burn that ****ing money.

Ick.  And I'll bet it's not for a 4 bedroom house.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Piney said:

And I just signed a contract to pay 1,700.00 a month in rent.

I might as well burn that ****ing money.

I'm paying $900 a month to BUY a house.  The three houses adjacent to me are renting for $1800 a month.

Doug

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Kenemet said:

Ick.  And I'll bet it's not for a 4 bedroom house.

I bedroom apartment.

15 minutes ago, Doug1066 said:

I'm paying $900 a month to BUY a house.  The three houses adjacent to me are renting for $1800 a month.

Doug

See above. 

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, Edumakated said:

That's the problem though... government rarely "invests wisely".  As has been noted, many of the problems are due to over regulation, bureaucracy, self-dealing...  not too mention culture.

Yes as you have said.  The problem is lavish teacher retirements and teacher's unions.  We should break the unions and hire $12/hr.  replacements  to teach our children,.  That will fix it and show how much we really care about kids.

Got any kids yourself?  Any idea how expensive it is to support them?  Any idea how hard it is to find good teachers?  Any idea why we love kids so much and yet so many young people say they can't afford to start a family?  All down to Teacher's Unions and government waste?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

2 hours ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

I can understand why that would make sense in some instances. But there are also some significant investments that the current administration has proposed, such as universal preschool, extending the Child Tax Credit expansion, and expanding free school meals to millions more children. Those would have to be done at federal and/or state levels would they not?

Albuquerque added free meals, breakfast and lunch, for school children from kindergarten to 5th grade.   And in the summer they usually have a park in the lower income areas where they provide lunches for the kids.  It is a city program, though, not a state program.

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 5

5 hours ago, Edumakated said:

That is a result of government bureaucracy and mismanagement.  Most school districts are broke not because there isn't enough money floating around, it is because it is typically funding lavish teacher retirement pensions and scores of administrators.  Schools spend upwards of $20k/yr per student with poor results.  Giving them more money isn't the answer.  Schools need some common sense leadership, breaking teachers unions, parental accountability, and more efficient use of funds. 

The problem is that teachers no longer run the schools.  Bureaucrats do.  Especially, bureaucrats in the Department of Education.  Teachers must spend hours every day keeping individual records on children's education.  That is time that would be better-spent in teaching.  We need to get out of the way and let teachers teach.

Here is the pay schedule for Oklahoma teachers.  Kind of chintzy for a job that requires you to spend your own money on supplies and work 10 and 12-hour days, part of it at home.

https://sde.ok.gov/sites/default/files/23-24 State Minimum Salary Schedule_1.pdf

Doug

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Tatetopa said:

We should break the unions and hire $12/hr.  replacements  to teach our children,.

To support a family of four at the federal poverty level costs $16.07 per hour.  So teachers should live in poverty?

Doug

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Desertrat56 said:

Albuquerque added free meals, breakfast and lunch, for school children from kindergarten to 5th grade.   And in the summer they usually have a park in the lower income areas where they provide lunches for the kids.  It is a city program, though, not a state program.

That's great! There are some good things happening in New Mexico. Not only was it the first state to make childcare free (for one year) for nearly all residents, it created new child tax credits, and also expanded eligibility for state assistance to families.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Doug1066 said:

To support a family of four at the federal poverty level costs $16.07 per hour.  So teachers should live in poverty?

I believe @Tatetopa was being sarcastic, but he can correct me if I'm wrong.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

That's great! There are some good things happening in New Mexico. Not only was it the first state to make childcare free (for one year) for nearly all residents, it created new child tax credits, and also expanded eligibility for state assistance to families.

Most cities have free food for elementary school kids along with summer lunch programs.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Michelle said:

Most cities have free food for elementary school kids along with summer lunch programs.

I was able to find the following which lists all of the states that have passed universal free school meals so far. I noticed that some (perhaps all) are offering free meals to all students from kindergarten through to Grade 12. The article also outlines what other states are currently planning, drafting, discussing, or negotiating expanded free school meal legislation.

https://www.nycfoodpolicy.org/states-that-have-passed-universal-free-school-meals/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

The city I live in does the same.  

• Like 4

On 2/21/2024 at 3:11 AM, Kittens Are Jerks said:

Why America hates its children

Every country has its share of adults who pose a threat to children. But the difference in how America treats its kids goes far beyond the "it takes a village" attitude that prevails in countries like Greece. Virtually every other industrialized nation provides more government aid for their children than America does. Of the 38 countries that belong to the leading Western trade alliance, the US ranks No. 32 in spending on early childhood.

https://www.businessinsider.com/why-america-hates-its-children-parenting-expensive-childcare-schools-kids-2024-1

I was curious to see what the "32 out of 38" included, but I can't find what source they used. And it wasn't linked in the article, that I saw anyway.

I've found people quoting it all over the internet, but not a single link, or search result, leading to the actual data/paper/study.

And what is the Western Trade Alliance? Can't find that either. 

Starting to sound like an article built on a politically created "fact". 

EDIT: According to Statista, the US is like second in educational spending per child...

https://www.statista.com/statistics/238733/expenditure-on-education-by-country/#:~:text=Out of the OECD countries,full-time student in 2020.

Screenshot_20240223_045335_Chrome.thumb.jpg.f770fe5a853836f1480ab0be20ab355d.jpg

Screenshot_20240223_045656_Chrome.thumb.jpg.e2671b3f365dfd0e2a5a723dd428fd9c.jpg

Edited by DieChecker
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 2/23/2024 at 7:40 AM, DieChecker said:

I was curious to see what the "32 out of 38" included, but I can't find what source they used. And it wasn't linked in the article, that I saw anyway.

Some stats that pretty much back up that claim: https://qz.com/2119811/us-lags-oecd-average-spending-on-early-education-and-child-care

More stats if you're interested:

Top 10 Best Countries to raise a child (spoiler alert, the US is not one of them): https://www.globalrcg.com/post/best-countries-to-raise-a-child-in-2021

How America Ranks in Protecting Children: https://www.childrensdefense.org/blog/how-america-ranks-in-protecting-children/

And what is the Western Trade Alliance? Can't find that either. 

By Western trade alliance, the author is referring to western countries that are trading partners.

Starting to sound like an article built on a politically created "fact". 

That assertion is easily dispelled by the number of stats and studies available.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

No, not according to Allsides, according to YOU. Just because a media source has a liberal bias does not mean its information is not factual.

A liberal or conservative bias usually means reporting only the the facts that support their narrative .

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, WVK said:

A liberal or conservative bias usually means reporting only the the facts that support their narrative .

Not all media bias reaches the extreme of propaganda, but will concede that Business Insider has a propensity to use loaded language and misleading clickbait headings.

• Like 2

On 2/22/2024 at 11:35 AM, Doug1066 said:

The problem is that teachers no longer run the schools.  Bureaucrats do.  Especially, bureaucrats in the Department of Education.  Teachers must spend hours every day keeping individual records on children's education.  That is time that would be better-spent in teaching.  We need to get out of the way and let teachers teach.

Interesting and not isolated to schools.  Boeing is now saying some of their problems are due to accountants taking over for engineers in setting company policies. Go figure.  It all comes down to money not teaching or flight safety, just money.;

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

Not all media bias reaches the extreme of propaganda, but will concede that Business Insider has a propensity to use loaded language and misleading clickbait headings.

Yes and not the no nonsense information you expect from something called Business Insider. 

On 2/23/2024 at 7:06 AM, WVK said:

According to this Business Insider peddles propaganda 

https://www.allsides.com/news-source/insider-media-bias

No offense meant here, but I'm just a tad skeptical of that site.  I had a look at their Media Bias chart (seen here: https://www.allsides.com/media-bias/media-bias-chart) and I don't think I agree with their findings (I prefer this one: https://adfontesmedia.com/gallery/

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

Some stats that pretty much back up that claim: https://qz.com/2119811/us-lags-oecd-average-spending-on-early-education-and-child-care

More stats if you're interested:

Top 10 Best Countries to raise a child (spoiler alert, the US is not one of them): https://www.globalrcg.com/post/best-countries-to-raise-a-child-in-2021

How America Ranks in Protecting Children: https://www.childrensdefense.org/blog/how-america-ranks-in-protecting-children/

By Western trade alliance, the author is referring to western countries that are trading partners.

That assertion is easily dispelled by the number of stats and studies available.

And yet can you point to where the article info came from?

That there's parallel info that's somewhat close, isn't exactly a source, is it?

So, the arguement I'm reading is we're talking before even preschool funding. As in for children 3 years and younger.

I'm kind of glad we don't spend as much as other nations. That means the child is home with a parent, getting attention, rather then in a baby detention facility. 

Nations paying for childcare at 6 months are basically breaking up families and the kid is being raised by strangers.

I do see the US having a infant mortality issue. Just a few percentages worse then Canada, according to the links. That hell hole for children that is Canada... 

7 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

Interesting and not isolated to schools.  Boeing is now saying some of their problems are due to accountants taking over for engineers in setting company policies. Go figure.  It all comes down to money not teaching or flight safety, just money.;

Intel lost technology leadership because an accountant became CEO. He focused on selling chips rather then R&D, and caused Intel to have financial issues for over ten years.

An accountant was put in charge and caused stock price to drop, and income to drop, and lost many top customers, but he doubtless had it all recorded correctly.

• Like 3