Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Carnton Mansion

TheOriginalF

Hi all,

I was recently in Nashville and while touring the battlefields of Franklin I was taken on a tour of Carnton Mansion. Carton Mansion of course was the home of the McGavock family during the Civil War, and during the battle of Franklin it was used as a field hospitol.

I think these links will probably explain the history of the house better than I can:

Historic Carnton Plantation

Anyway a few things the article neglected to mention was how Carrie and John actually dug up almost 1500 graves a year after they were buried so they could be placed in a proper cemetery. I can't even begin to imagine the horror of having to undertake that endeavor. Also when touring the the tour guide pointed out blood that had soaked into the hardwood floor around the surgeons table and where they had stacked the amputated limbs...very disturbing. (The above was told to us by the tour guide)

Back to my original point I've heard a great deal about this mansion being extremely haunted, and I have to say that being in and around the house was quite overwhelming, most seem to report a very heavy sadness. Supposedly at night you can hear drums and marching soldiers, a floating head has been reported in the kitchen area, and a girl in white is know to wonder about the top floor of the mansion. I can't really seem to find any stories or accounts around the net. Has anybody been to this house and if so do you have any ghost stories might be able to share? I would also appreciate any books or webpages anybody might know about.

Thanks

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TheOriginalF

• LittlePrincess

• Amoo

• fullblownchevy

i went there a long time ago.. all i can say is that it gave me the creeps.. i was on a school field trip there like 10 years ago broad day light... and that place just freaked me out... and ive been to all the battle fields around middle tennessee and was never freaked out by any of them, but that house you're talking about.

i went there a long time ago.. all i can say is that it gave me the creeps.. i was on a school field trip there like 10 years ago broad day light... and that place just freaked me out... and ive been to all the battle fields around middle tennessee and was never freaked out by any of them, but that house you're talking about.

552807[/snapback]

Yeah I know whay you mean, it kind of made me feel sick just being there. The creepest part was the whole time I was there a raven was perched up on the chimney, it was very forboding.

Thanks for the story

Hi all, 

I was recently in Nashville and while touring the battlefields of Franklin I was taken on a tour of Carnton Mansion. Carton Mansion of course was the home of the McGavock family during the Civil War, and during the battle of Franklin it was used as a field hospitol. 

I think these links will probably explain the history of the house better than I can: 

Anyway a few things the article neglected to mention was how Carrie and John actually dug up almost 1500 graves a year after they were buried so they could be placed in a proper cemetery. I can't even begin to imagine the horror of having to undertake that endeavor. Also when touring the the tour guide pointed out blood that had soaked into the hardwood floor around the surgeons table and where they had stacked the amputated limbs...very disturbing. (The above was told to us by the tour guide) 

Back to my original point I've heard a great deal about this mansion being extremely haunted, and I have to say that being in and around the house was quite overwhelming, most seem to report a very heavy sadness. Supposedly at night you can hear drums and marching soldiers, a floating head has been reported in the kitchen area, and a girl in white is know to wonder about the top floor of the mansion. I can't really seem to find any stories or accounts around the net. Has anybody been to this house and if so do you have any ghost stories might be able to share? I would also appreciate any books or webpages anybody might know about. 

Thanks

552739[/snapback]

never been there, but now I wanna go. original.gif

Hi again,

Okay I stumbled on this webpage that gives some very detailed descriptions of the goings on at Carnton Mansion

Haunted Carnton

This is also an interesting link

Ghost?

Finally I found this while going through my own photos. I'm not to sure what the blue thing in the fore ground of this picture is....but I found it kind of wierd.

http://us.f3.yahoofs.com/users/41ae51dfze1...hVdhTCBzbulWQ97

Take Care

Edited by TheOriginalF

TwilightDemon:

It's worth a visit if you get a chance, a very interesting experience.

Edited by TheOriginalF

Aye, I've been there as well. I didn't really get a sad feeling, but more of an overwhelmed feeling being in the particular room where the amputations were performed. It's bad enough the thought of what that would have felt like without any pain killers and a rough blade.. let alone the infections that set in later. I can really understand why there would be left feelings of pain and sorrow.

The time that I went was right at Christmas, and maybe that alone did make things feel somewhat more at peace. They had luminaries that were outside and the interior was done in that era of decorations. I do remember though standing inside and kept visualizing what it would have been like and looked like.. and that would not leave my mind. To this day I can remember the blood stained floor, and the creaking of the house.

Fable;

I know, hearing the stories about that house really makes me appreciate modern medical science!

There is indeed something very unsettling about the house, and I really think a good deal of what people experience there had a lot to do with the history of the building. Haunted or not it's very hard not to be drawn into the house on some emotional level considering it's brutal past.

Icarusu;

I'm always excited to meet a fellow MST3K fan! I mean really, TV didn't get much better.

That's so cool that you made your puppets, I've been on the verge of building my own for some time but I never seem to get around to it. I'd love to see a photo of them if you ever get a chance.

Take Care

• 3 weeks later...

The 'Ghost?' link is my story - my friend posted it for me, and I'm glad it's getting noticed. I'm quite interested in discovering if I got 'spoofed' or not. None of us who were there believe we were taken - we believe it's almost certainly genuine (I've kept the digital memory card as-is, just in case). My group was probably the last one at the house and included myself, my sister, my mother and my two children (8 and 13). The adults are all over 40 btw.

We had major chicken skin on our tour that evening, which was on March 19, 2005. My sister, who is a nurse, got a very strong scent of blood in the room used as the surgery. As for me, I felt 'heavy', but detected no smell. The room directly behind the surgery - the bedroom, was very much disliked by both my 13 year old son and myself. If you see any images in that window, they are most likely reflections of a light that's shining near the canopy bed.

The girl/image in the window however cannot be explained as originating from inside of the house, and it's highly unlikely that it came from outside. Carrie McGavock had several children who died early on - one was a 5 year old girl. I believe the image is of this girl.

I'll bookmark and check this link again for your comments and feedback. Carnton is definitely worth the visit. The story is macabre, but the hearts of the people who lived there were good and they tried to do the right thing by all concerned. It's sad, but not scary (at least to all of us involved).

Hi again,

Okay I stumbled on this webpage that gives some very detailed descriptions of the goings on at Carnton Mansion

Haunted Carnton

This is also an interesting link

Ghost?

Finally I found this while going through my own photos. I'm not to sure what the blue thing in the fore ground of this picture is....but I found it kind of wierd. 

http://us.f3.yahoofs.com/users/41ae51dfze1...hVdhTCBzbulWQ97

Take Care

553196[/snapback]

• 4 months later...

ok after reading about this place and all the stories me and a few buddys decided to head up to this place ...we got there about 9 oclock that nite and if u been there its in a neighborhood we ran threw the feild to the house and looked around we heard a horse but no horses around it walked on the porch and u could hear like something beating on the floor went to the side houses which were empty and nothing really happened when i was walkin threw the garden u could see bright flashes by ur face but u turn to look nothing was there it was kinda weird ....

I have to say that it looks remarkably like a location that was used in a civil war period horror movie I watched recently called Dead Birds (which is pretty cool BTW) thumbsup.gif

Hmmmm.... Reading through this thread makes me want to pack my bags and go on a road trip to Tennessee! I will definitely have to look through the websites you posted...

I saw Dead Birds..... I wanted my $2.99 back from Block Buster......