Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

First Tactile Dreams

Liquid Gardens

About a month ago I unfortunately had to say goodbye to my old creaky 18-year-old cat, too many health problems had piled up, sucked obviously but was the right thing to do.  Since then I've had multiple dreams that she has been in where I've been able to feel her fur while petting her in my dream. The first one I had was the most vivid, it wasn't quite a lucid dream but I remember when I saw her thinking 'you can't be here' because she had already passed, but when I petted her I could feel the texture and how soft her fur was.  I've had dreams before that are visual obviously, have heard music that doesn't even exist in reality on lucky occasions, and like a lot of people I think have felt certain emotions but don't recall ever being able to feel things so vividly with my sense of touch before in a dream.

Since that first most powerful dream I've had about three other ones, none of them lasted as long but in all of them I was again able to feel her fur.  I had a short one yesterday and in that one I even 'shut my eyes in the dream' while I was petting her and could still feel what it was like.  These dreams were cool partly because I was straddling the line between a lucid dream which I had control of and one where I was just in normal involuntary dream mode, but the sensation of touch was very new to me and surprisingly vivid and direct.  I've always kinda thought this anyway but these kind of sensation-involved dream experiences give me a better understanding I think as to how people have similar experiences that they interpret as divine visions or something supernatural. The idea of something supernatural in this case doesn't add anything to it for me though, I'm thankful and think it's cool to have these dreams of her at all.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I have not had too many tactile dreams, but the ones I have had did have a significant impact upon me.  And there is something to cats.  A friend of mine talked about having what he considered a kind of spiritual link with his cat.

• Like 3

@Liquid GardensAre these your first tactile dreams?  I have had only a few myself and it's been years.

• Like 1

I had dreams of my cat sleeping next to me and I would feel him jump down from the bed, years after he died in a place I had moved afterwards when I had not had a cat.   

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, OverSword said:

@Liquid GardensAre these your first tactile dreams?  I have had only a few myself and it's been years.

These are the first I remember but I'll admit most nights I don't remember my dreams at all.  Was trying to think if maybe I had a dream where I felt pain or something and don't recall any.  I've felt I guess 'euphoric' a few times in dreams but that's more general and a step removed from actual sense of touch or physical feelings like these dreams.

Such an interesting topic, you and your cat had a spiritual bond between you.

• Like 5

There is a person who is a legend on this forum who used to be able to astral project.  I came to know him as friends here.  He said that is was his cat that was his anchor to this world or some such thing about his astral projecting.  The cat was his spiritual partner.

• Like 4

Sorry @Liquid Gardens,   I/we lost Juniper after 17 yr.  (I adopted her)  and we lost Sena after 18 yrs. (She adopted me!)  It’s not easy.   Maybe you were both comforting each other at parting… letting go slower.        My wife has felt CAT get on the bed, and her legs.

Edited by lightly
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Great topic.  Thank you for sharing.  I've a few to share, but need to consider how much given the darker side of the board.