Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Another balloon intercepted today over Utah

susieice

US tracking balloon observed over southwest earlier this morning, but it does not pose a threat, according to NORAD | CNN Politics

Balloon detected by NORAD over Utah intercepted by fighters (msn.com)

Aerospace defense fighters intercepted a small balloon traveling over Utah, the North American Aerospace Defense Command (NORAD) announced Friday.

NORAD’s announcement did not further specify when or where the interception occurred. The agency in a news release said the balloon was detected at an altitude varying between 43,000 and 45,000 feet.

The fighters determined the balloon was “not maneuverable” and did not pose a national security threat, the release stated.

NORAD will continue to “track and monitor” the craft, the release added.

• Like 1

No threat?  They either have no clue what it does or they understand and don't want to be embarrassed.  DC is filled with TRAITORS to this nation and those who support the current regime are just as bad...

47 minutes ago, and-then said:

No threat?  They either have no clue what it does or they understand and don't want to be embarrassed.  DC is filled with TRAITORS to this nation and those who support the current regime are just as bad...

And you missed a third possibility, they know but don't want to tell you what it does.

Could be a weather balloon or something as mundane.  I watched several balloon launches from Palestine Texas of the giant skyhook balloons carrying infrared telescopes and other astronomical equipment.  My university had some  packages on those.  They are expensive and so several institutions go together with grant money to pay for the package launch and recovery.  Point is, there are non-government  launches by private companies for revenue. So, yeah, it could be no threat.  Not being steerable is a clue that it will go where the jet stream takes it and not over specific locations. 

• Like 7

26 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

And you missed a third possibility, they know but don't want to tell you what it does.

Could be a weather balloon or something as mundane.  I watched several balloon launches from Palestine Texas of the giant skyhook balloons carrying infrared telescopes and other astronomical equipment.  My university had some  packages on those.  They are expensive and so several institutions go together with grant money to pay for the package launch and recovery.  Point is, there are non-government  launches by private companies for revenue. So, yeah, it could be no threat.  Not being steerable is a clue that it will go where the jet stream takes it and not over specific locations. 

With the balloons coming from China there are tracked across the pacific.

Its not a case where someone can release one in the USA and yet it gets mistaken as coming from China.

1 hour ago, and-then said:

Or they know that if they shoot i5 down, something worse will happen (ie they’re full of Anthrax or Zyclon B). 

Shoot it down with a $500k missile instead of cheaper 20mm cannon shells. :w00t:

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

The aliens are going under cover.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Electric Scooter said:

With the balloons coming from China there are tracked across the pacific.

Its not a case where someone can release one in the USA and yet it gets mistaken as coming from China.

Did the article say it came from China?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

Did the article say it came from China?

No. They only said it was much smaller than the Chinese spy balloon from last year and doesn't have a payload anywhere near as big or equipped. It's being monitored.

Small, nonthreatening balloon intercepted over Utah by NORAD - Las Vegas Sun News

Edited by susieice
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Hawken said:

Shoot it down with a $500k missile instead of cheaper 20mm cannon shells. :w00t:

Cool story Ace.

Or we could just listen to an experienced fighter pilot.

• Like 7

Probably another pica balloon launched by amateur radio enthusiasts - so like the one that was shot down over Alaska very likely to be extremely dangerous :D 

• Like 3

Something that we don't know where it is from, what it is about, or how it got here?  KEEEELLLLLLL IT!   

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I guess the Chinese thought that it they made the balloon smaller it wouldn't be detected but they were wrong.

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, Golden Duck said:

Cool story Ace.

Or we could just listen to an experienced fighter pilot.

Video is nearly two hours. Care to summarize?

13 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Video is nearly two hours. Care to summarize?

Sure, listen to a fighter pilot explain the difficulty in shooting a stationary object at high altitude, rather than some trolling nuffie.

Note, the question is the first answered and Mover doesn't take two hours to explain.  He's done in 10 minutes. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Somewhat shocking the admin gives a sht.  

2 hours ago, fred_mc said:

I guess the Chinese thought that it they made the balloon smaller it wouldn't be detected but they were wrong.

I guess there are other balloons in the air besides those launched by the Chinese.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Cho Jinn said:

Somewhat shocking the admin gives a sht.  

Are there not plenty of other threads for that?

Its a balloon FGS, not even that big.   If you haven't noticed, both the Chinese and the US have been at pains not to escalate tensions.  The Chinese economy is tanking, they don't need more trouble ATM.

We really don't need to set each others hair on fire just yet.  

• Like 4

Kind of amazing that they were able to track such a small balloon.   Untill it is brought down, we won't know what it really is.

2 hours ago, Gromdor said:

It has escaped!   The ballon left US airspace last night.  

Yep. It's gone. Article doesn't say where it left US airspace.

High-altitude balloon intercepted by US fighters over Utah a 'likely hobby balloon': NORAD | WMAY - 92.7 WMAY

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Gromdor said:

Something that we don't know where it is from, what it is about, or how it got here?  KEEEELLLLLLL IT!   

Have you only just met Americans?

• Haha 2

48 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Have you only just met Americans?

To be fair, as an American, I usually don't kill unknown things.

(I identify them, study them, and then I kill them.) 

• Haha 8

I think it would have been funny if they reported seeing a license plate on this balloon that said something like FLOATER 1 ?

:D

• Haha 2