Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Artifact could be linked to Spanish explorer Coronado's expedition across Texas Panhandle

Still Waters

It's a small piece of obsidian, just over 5 centimeters long, likely found on a hard-scrabble piece of ranchland in the Texas panhandle. But when SMU anthropologist Matthew Boulanger looks at it, he gets a mental image of Spanish explorer Francisco Vasquez de Coronado making his way across the plains more than 470 years ago in search of a fabled city of gold.

Boulanger believes that the flaked-stone tool with its sharp edge was likely dropped by a member of Coronado's expedition, which included people indigenous to Mexico, as they trekked across parts of Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, Oklahoma, and Kansas. His theory is backed by a spectrometer analysis of the blade's chemical composition, which ties it to Central Mexico's Sierra de Pachuca mountain range, where indigenous people used obsidian to produce cutting tools until the Spanish conquest.

https://phys.org/news/2024-02-artifact-linked-spanish-explorer-coronado.html

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

They found an arrow head?   Jeez, that may or may not have anything to do with Coronado.   The natives in the southwest & North West U.S. Before the Spaniards invaded had a trade route from Mexico into Canada.   The route went through New Mexico, Colorado, Wyoming and Montana.   The people used to travel from all over to the stations on the trade route.  There are some state monuments in New Mexico and Colorado that were stations on that trade route.   

That wasn't the only trade route the native had in the American continents either.

"Oh, it had to be Coronado's forray into Texas that brought that arrowhead there."   Ignorant!

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

They found an arrow head?   Jeez, that may or may not have anything to do with Coronado.   The natives in the southwest & North West U.S. Before the Spaniards invaded had a trade route from Mexico into Canada.   The route went through New Mexico, Colorado, Wyoming and Montana.   The people used to travel from all over to the stations on the trade route.  There are some state monuments in New Mexico and Colorado that were stations on that trade route.   

That wasn't the only trade route the native had in the American continents either.

"Oh, it had to be Coronado's forray into Texas that brought that arrowhead there."   Ignorant!

I agree. I found Yellowstone obsidian in New Jersey dating from the Late Archaic-Early Woodland. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Piney said:

I agree. I found Yellowstone obsidian in New Jersey dating from the Late Archaic-Early Woodland. 

I know there were several east-west trade routes as well, it is just the european idea that natives were at war with each other irks me, as well as the idea that the eurpeans colonies were more important than the people already here.   As if they were stupid and the eurpeans weren't, but what I see is the eurpeans are much more stupid than the natives in any continent.   Ignoring nature and the roman attitude that god told man to change anything natural to suit himself is a lie and pure stupidity that has gotten us the crisis that we are living in now.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1