Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

UFO and Bigfoot sightings abound in Massachusetts' 'Monsterland'

UM-Bot

The central and western portions of Massachusetts, particularly, have certain gambrel quality, and it makes sense Lovecraft drew much inspiration from those locales.

Biologist can find a small bird thought to be extinct in the middle of a cloud forest but cannot find any real evidence of a giant hominid. What do you think that means?

See here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

Sightings abound, evidence yet to be found.

• Like 3

A small strip of land with hiking trails all through it--and evidence of Bigfoot have never been found . . .   Gets recognition somehow?  

Edited by ercbreeze

I live in Massachusetts and have never heard of a bigfoot sighting. UFO's., yes, several times

• Like 1

Most of the sightings could be explained as bears walking upright on their back legs. I find the most intriguing stories are the ones from First Nation people who have encountered strange hairy hominids for hundreds of years.

18 hours ago, esoteric_toad said:

Biologist can find a small bird thought to be extinct in the middle of a cloud forest but cannot find any real evidence of a giant hominid. What do you think that means?

See here.

The birds aren't of near human intelligence, equipped with nature's own ghillie suit, experts in stealth and mimicry, and eager not to be found.

44 minutes ago, sanchez710 said:

Most of the sightings could be explained as bears walking upright on their back legs.

On the contrary, most BF sightings are never reported, because nobody wants the ridicule and threat to their employment that revealing what one witnessed entails.

Also, if you go and look at what footage of BF exists, it may surprise you that almost none of it looks anything like a bear on its hind legs.  I can think of perhaps 2 examples out of many dozens, that were bears caught in such footage, but any experienced hunter knows the difference, despite what debunkers would have you believe.

4 hours ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

I live in Massachusetts and have never heard of a bigfoot sighting. UFO's., yes, several times

I live in MASS presently.  We have had plenty of BF sightings in the Bridgewater Triangle, Leominster, and many other sites.  Please consult the Big Foot Sighting Maps.

9 hours ago, ercbreeze said:

A small strip of land with hiking trails all through it--and evidence of Bigfoot have never been found . . .   Gets recognition somehow?  

BFs know to be wary of humans.  Some BFs can speak English btw, and have their own language that sounds a lot like Japanese..  If they didn't know about breaking trail, burying their dung, and so forth, they would be decorating the world's museums as extinct "taxidermed curios" right now.  Plenty of people have reported seeing BFs despite their best efforts to remain hidden, and that is only a fraction of the total sightings.  BFs move surprisingly quickly given their apparently slow gait, are mountain dwellers who sometimes come down to lowlands to forage during warmer months, and ritually cannibalize their dead, according to folklore.  The range of a BF can be huge.

• Like 1

On 2/27/2024 at 2:49 AM, sanchez710 said:

Most of the sightings could be explained as bears walking upright on their back legs. I find the most intriguing stories are the ones from First Nation people who have encountered strange hairy hominids for hundreds of years.

If I recall correctly, the First Nation people believe that the big hairy man was here (America's northwest) before the First Nation people! That's 20,000 years, at least. 

On 2/27/2024 at 3:59 AM, Alchopwn said:

I live in MASS presently.  We have had plenty of BF sightings in the Bridgewater Triangle, Leominster, and many other sites.  Please consult the Big Foot Sighting Maps.

The Bridgewater Triangle, I have heard of, thanks to TV show I saw on it years ago. But I don't live near there, I'm up in Cape Ann. 

But now that I have read your post, I am a bit upbeat by it. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

If I recall correctly, the First Nation people believe that the big hairy man was here (America's northwest) before the First Nation people! That's 20,000 years, at least. 

The Bridgewater Triangle, I have heard of, thanks to TV show I saw on it years ago. But I don't live near there, I'm up in Cape Ann. 

We've gone over this. The First Nations peoples invented the "hairy man" as a storytelling device. It has varied for its purpose depending on specific regions.

On 2/27/2024 at 3:59 AM, Alchopwn said:

The birds aren't of near human intelligence, equipped with nature's own ghillie suit, experts in stealth and mimicry, and eager not to be found.

On the contrary, most BF sightings are never reported, because nobody wants the ridicule and threat to their employment that revealing what one witnessed entails.

Also, if you go and look at what footage of BF exists, it may surprise you that almost none of it looks anything like a bear on its hind legs.  I can think of perhaps 2 examples out of many dozens, that were bears caught in such footage, but any experienced hunter knows the difference, despite what debunkers would have you believe.

BFs know to be wary of humans.  Some BFs can speak English btw, and have their own language that sounds a lot like Japanese..  If they didn't know about breaking trail, burying their dung, and so forth, they would be decorating the world's museums as extinct "taxidermed curios" right now.  Plenty of people have reported seeing BFs despite their best efforts to remain hidden, and that is only a fraction of the total sightings.  BFs move surprisingly quickly given their apparently slow gait, are mountain dwellers who sometimes come down to lowlands to forage during warmer months, and ritually cannibalize their dead, according to folklore.  The range of a BF can be huge.

That is not remotely true these days. Every Harry, Dick and Tom has some story or horrible video alleging to be BF and plasters them all over social media platforms.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Trelane said:

We've gone over this. The First Nations peoples invented the "hairy man" as a storytelling device. It has varied for its purpose depending on specific regions.

That is not remotely true these days. Every Harry, Dick and Tom has some story or horrible video alleging to be BF and plasters them all over social media platforms.

Yeah, some footie enthusiasts want it both ways. On the one hand, people don't report their sightings because of embarrassment, yet on the other hand some apologists claim the "thousands of reports" are significant, forgetting of course that the plural of anecdote is not data.

Edited by Resume
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

Dear old Massachusetts has a ton of folklore and a great many spooks, cryptids, and cosmic horrors.  It is Lovecraft Country.  I come from Dunwich myself.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Alchopwn said:

Dear old Massachusetts has a ton of folklore and a great many spooks, cryptids, and cosmic horrors.  It is Lovecraft Country.  I come from Dunwich myself.

I had to look that up. Dunwich? very clever. :rolleyes:

On 2/26/2024 at 11:46 PM, esoteric_toad said:

I'm pretty sure that means those biologists are baffled.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 3/2/2024 at 7:15 AM, Alchopwn said:

The Gloucester sea serpent is my personal favorite.

I hail from Arkham. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Antigonos said:

The Gloucester sea serpent is my personal favorite.

I hail from Arkham. 

So... Danvers?  That is where the maps show Arkham being.