Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

US airman dies after setting himself on fire outside Israeli Embassy in Washington

OverSword

An active-duty member of the US Air Force who set himself on fire outside the Israeli Embassy in Washington, DC, on Sunday, has died, authorities said.

Aaron Bushnell, 25, of San Antonio, Texas, said in a video of the incident obtained by CNN that he would “no longer be complicit in genocide” and that his suffering was minimal compared to that of Palestinians as the humanitarian crisis persists in Gaza.

He then sets the recording device on the ground before pouring an unknown liquid over himself and igniting it while yelling “Free Palestine” repeatedly. He eventually collapses as police officers rush to douse the flames with fire extinguishers.

Link

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Just a pre-emptive note for this thread to ask members not to post or link to the actual footage as it's quite graphic.

Thank you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I hope there aren't a lot of other mentally unbalanced people in uniform these days.  Imagine if this individual had been deployed there and decided to sabotage an effort that he disagreed with.  He could have killed other members serving with him.  

• Like 7
  • Confused 1

Another US military member who has committed suicide. RIP

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.  

• Like 2

Hmm.  The guys AFSC was Client Systems Technician.  It makes me wonder if he was privy to/accessed some information the general public was unaware of.

I understand people with the courage to die for a cause, but I think he took it a bit too far.

But dang, I don't think I know of anyone with the fortitude to just stand there while burning to death.

His death accomplishes absolutely nothing except the extreme sorrow his family will now suffer.  Suicide is almost always selfish and wrong.

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, OverSword said:

His death accomplishes absolutely nothing except the extreme sorrow his family will now suffer.  Suicide is almost always selfish and wrong.

I don't think his death accomplished nothing.  He got to be a martyr for a cause.  People who believe in that cause could very well be spurred into action.  Who knows, this event could be the catalyst that brings peace to the mid-east.  

I personally don't think it will happen though.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Gromdor said:

I don't think his death accomplished nothing.  He got to be a martyr for a cause.  People who believe in that cause could very well be spurred into action.  Who knows, this event could be the catalyst that brings peace to the mid-east.  

I personally don't think it will happen though. 

I doubt anyone in a position to bring about a cease fire or an end to war will be moved one bit by this.  As far as others I doubt this action will bring one person over to his side.  Likely a majority of his fellow protesters will think he went way too far.  So for nothing.

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 4

You have got to LOVE the racist left :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, OverSword said:

You have got to LOVE the racist left :rolleyes:

Some of these people are insufferable.. 

On 2/26/2024 at 6:45 PM, OverSword said:

I think he was obviously on something, even if it was just powerful pain killers.

Not one scream out of him, although he started struggling and grunted through it.

2 hours ago, Electric Scooter said:

I think he was obviously on something, even if it was just powerful pain killers.

Not one scream out of him, although he started struggling and grunted through it.

I hope he suffered an agonizing death which i am sure he did.   

The cop pointing the gun at him the entire time while the other guy screams that they "need fire extinguishers not guns" is the most violently American part of the entire incident. 

• Thanks 5

They said he worked at Joint Base San Antonio, which is the old Kelly Airforce Base  and belonged to the 531st Electronic Survelliance  Support  Unit,. That's the new name for Security Service. why do I know, because my dad worked at Kelly and Security Service in the 1950s,and 60s, .   He was stationed at Kelly, then we went to Okinawa, and then came back  here. My brother was born on Okinawa and my sister in San Antonio  in 1964. My dad made chief mastersargent out at Kelly and then it was onto the Alaskan Air Command and then to NSA and came back to San Antonio in 1971 where he retired in 1975, after 33 years of service.

The purpose of having Security Service was so they could spy on the communists in Cuba, Mexico and points south. Alaska it was the russians, you get the idea. I'm sorry the young airman died, but that wasn't the way to help the people in Gaza. It would have been better to give donations to the International Red Cross, Catholic Relief Services, Society of St.Vincent de Paul, Doctors without Borders, etc  orginazations  that work in that area. Some like the Franciscans and Benedictines have been there since the Middle Ages.  Canned food, clothing ,first aid kits or other things would have been welcome  and go be distributed to the people. Even if he had collected donations the money could go  to help purchASE NEEDED SUPPLIES. Sorry about that. Also people forget there are christians in Palestine and places like Egypt  since  the days of when Jesus sent his disciples out. There has to be a solution to the whole problem. But both sides over there are so blind in their hate, they  can't see the forest for the trees. There may very well be a solution, its just neither side wants to give in .

• Like 1