Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

23-year-old pregnant Amish woman killed in Pennsylvania, police say

docyabut2

That's up by where my son lives. I lived near Spartensburg for a while when I was still married. That's really a rural area and not a lot more than very small towns. It has a very high Amish population. Police still have no suspects.

A vehicle being seen in the driveway indicates someone who wasn't Amish was at the home. The Amish don't drive cars but they do hire people to take them to work. Several members of my ex's family do this. So did he at one time.

Crawford Co. Amish community in shock after suspicious murder (msn.com)

Investigators are being tight-lipped but neighbors told us a young Amish couple lives in the house where that murder investigation is underway. 

We know the victim is in her early 20s and investigators told us her two young children were in the home when her body was discovered. 

We also know the victim’s husband was not home at the time of the murder.

Family members also said that a red Jeep was seen in the victim’s driveway around 10 a.m. Monday morning. That Jeep was also seen driving up and down the road.

A pregnant Amish woman is killed in her rural Pennsylvania home, and police have no suspects - ABC News (go.com)

Edited by susieice
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Death of Amish woman in Crawford County PA investigated as a homicide (goerie.com)

State police in Corry learned of Byler's death shortly before 12:30 p.m. Monday, when troopers were sent to a residence on Fish Flats Road, which runs from Centerville northeast to Route 89 south of Spartansburg. The house sits about a mile from Route 89 near Sportsman Road.

Investigators would not comment Tuesday on how Byler possibly died. More details were expected to be released following the completion of an autopsy, which was scheduled to take place in Erie County mid-afternoon Tuesday.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, docyabut2 said:

Maybe her husband did it, because she was having  affair with a worker. but Amish don `nt believe in killing  So maybe it was a worker that raped and killed her, could be Curry? 

https://www.yourerie.com/news/crime/corry-man-arrested-after-holding-woman-captive-for-three-days/

According to the reports the husband was at work and he and a coworker found the body when they got to the house after noon.

I want to know more about that red jeep in the driveway.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The autopsy was completed yesterday but the coroner isn't releasing the results. Police aren't releasing anything either. They won't even confirm that she was pregnant. I saw an article that claimed she was shot but that is totally baseless. 

Authorities mum on autopsy details in Amish woman's killing (goerie.com)

An autopsy was performed in Erie County Tuesday afternoon on the 23-year-old woman, whose death the Pennsylvania State Police are investigating as a homicide. But details on her death, including the cause and manner, are not being released by the Crawford County Coroner's Office.

"Details of the autopsy will not be released at this time in order to maintain the integrity of the active investigation," Coroner Eric Coston wrote in a news release issued early Wednesday afternoon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/28/2024 at 11:51 AM, susieice said:

That's up by where my son lives. I lived near Spartensburg for a while when I was still married. That's really a rural area and not a lot more than very small towns. It has a very high Amish population. Police still have no suspects.

A vehicle being seen in the driveway indicates someone who wasn't Amish was at the home. The Amish don't drive cars but they do hire people to take them to work. Several members of my ex's family do this. So did he at one time.

Crawford Co. Amish community in shock after suspicious murder (msn.com)

Investigators are being tight-lipped but neighbors told us a young Amish couple lives in the house where that murder investigation is underway. 

We know the victim is in her early 20s and investigators told us her two young children were in the home when her body was discovered. 

We also know the victim’s husband was not home at the time of the murder.

Family members also said that a red Jeep was seen in the victim’s driveway around 10 a.m. Monday morning. That Jeep was also seen driving up and down the road.

A pregnant Amish woman is killed in her rural Pennsylvania home, and police have no suspects - ABC News (go.com)

Its got to be someone driving in that red Jeep:(

Edited by docyabut2
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, docyabut2 said:

Slain pregnant Amish woman had cuts to her head and neck, police say

https://apnews.com/article/amish-woman-killed-pennsylvania-9c996ed30ce1b66237419ff1e012bb4a

It sounds like this may have been some sort of a stabbing. That red jeep bothers me. Even if someone Amish decided to go against the community rules, they'd never choose a color as flashy as red.

Edited by susieice
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

Would `nt the two children left behind know who was there ? 

Byler had been home alone with two young children, 

Edited by docyabut2
  • Like 1

Who was the Amish man that gutted his wife?
Edward Gingerich
Edward Gingerich (1966 – January 14, 2011) was an Amish man from Rockdale Township, Pennsylvania, who was convicted of manslaughter in the 1993 death of his wife, Katie.\

There was a Amish man that killed his wife :(

Just wondering if her husband took a red truck from his work and killed her ?

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, docyabut2 said:

Just wondering if her husband took a red truck from his work and killed her ?

The Amish don't drive vehicles docy. They only use a horse and buggy for transportation. They hire people to drive them if they need to. This is a good article. Spartansburg is a very small town. More like a village. They all know each other. I used to live there. My son is still near there and so is my ex.

Pregnant Amish woman found dead in northwestern Pennsylvania had cuts to her head and neck, police say - CBS Pittsburgh (cbsnews.com)

The Amish generally follow basic Christian beliefs and practices but are not homogeneous, according to the Young Center for Anabaptist and Pietist Studies at Elizabethtown College in Pennsylvania. They are known for simple clothing and for relying on horses and buggies for transportation. Local congregations maintain a variety of rules and restrictions regarding dress, the use of technology and participation in American society.

Residents said the Amish had a longstanding presence here and mix well with the surrounding community. Amish and non-Amish visit each others' homes, and the Amish work jobs for the non-Amish and attend events like the fish fries, they said. Neighbors have been raising money to help the Byler family.

"They are a big part of our community," Smith said. "They support us a lot."

Katie Rhodes, a waitress at the Dutch Treat Restaurant in Spartansburg's small business district, said people are still absorbing the shock of the news.

Edited by susieice
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, susieice said:

The Amish don't drive vehicles docy. They only use a horse and buggy for transportation. They hire people to drive them if they need to. This is a good article. Spartansburg is a very small town. More like a village. They all know each other. I used to live there. My son is still near there and so is my ex.

Pregnant Amish woman found dead in northwestern Pennsylvania had cuts to her head and neck, police say - CBS Pittsburgh (cbsnews.com)

The Amish generally follow basic Christian beliefs and practices but are not homogeneous, according to the Young Center for Anabaptist and Pietist Studies at Elizabethtown College in Pennsylvania. They are known for simple clothing and for relying on horses and buggies for transportation. Local congregations maintain a variety of rules and restrictions regarding dress, the use of technology and participation in American society.

Residents said the Amish had a longstanding presence here and mix well with the surrounding community. Amish and non-Amish visit each others' homes, and the Amish work jobs for the non-Amish and attend events like the fish fries, they said. Neighbors have been raising money to help the Byler family.

"They are a big part of our community," Smith said. "They support us a lot."

Katie Rhodes, a waitress at the Dutch Treat Restaurant in Spartansburg's small business district, said people are still absorbing the shock of the news.

Byler had been home alone with two young children

what about the children?

the children saw her being killed ?

• Like 1

What is his motive and why he hates her so or was it a sexual attack ?

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

The man arrested is from Corry. I know where that is. It's not far from Spartansburg and just a small town. The suspect isn't Amish but could have had some dealings with the family. If that's the case, as sparsely populated as the area is someone could easily have given a name to police. I'm just glad they caught him.

The second link is from Erie. Police aren't releasing any details right now. As for the children, @docyabut2 they were too young to know anything. She was only 23 so I doubt the oldest was much more than 3 or 4.

Man arrested in death of Amish woman in northwestern Pennsylvania (msn.com)

Police: Pregnant Amish woman shot, throat cut in killing that led to arrest of Corry man (msn.com)

Titusville District Judge Amy Nicols placed Cranston in the Crawford County Correctional Facility without bond after arraigning him at 4:24 a.m. Saturday.

Hours before Cranston was taken for arraignment, state police searched his home in the 400 block of East Main Street in Corry in southern Erie County, about 10 miles north of the crime scene.

Details on what led police to identify Cranston as a suspect, and information on a possible motive in the killing, were not immediately available Saturday afternoon. The criminal complaint filed in the case did not include an affidavit of probable cause.

Edited by susieice
  • Like 2

Arrest made in killing of pregnant Amish woman in her Pa. home - pennlive.com

Shawn C. Cranston, 52, of Corry, has been charged with criminal homicide, criminal homicide of an unborn child, burglary and criminal trespass, Pennsylvania State Police said.

He was denied bail at a preliminary arraignment early Saturday morning and is being held at the Crawford County jail. Online court records show a preliminary hearing has been scheduled for March 15; they do not list a defense attorney.

The Bylers’ home is along a dirt road in a remote farming area. Scores of Amish turned out for calling hours Thursday evening at a home in the community. Many arrived by buggies lit by headlights along the narrow country roads.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, susieice said:

The man arrested is from Corry. I know where that is. It's not far from Spartansburg and just a small town. The suspect isn't Amish but could have had some dealings with the family. If that's the case, as sparsely populated as the area is someone could easily have given a name to police. I'm just glad they caught him.

The second link is from Erie. Police aren't releasing any details right now. As for the children, @docyabut2 they were too young to know anything. She was only 23 so I doubt the oldest was much more than 3 or 4.

Man arrested in death of Amish woman in northwestern Pennsylvania (msn.com)

Police: Pregnant Amish woman shot, throat cut in killing that led to arrest of Corry man (msn.com)

Titusville District Judge Amy Nicols placed Cranston in the Crawford County Correctional Facility without bond after arraigning him at 4:24 a.m. Saturday.

Hours before Cranston was taken for arraignment, state police searched his home in the 400 block of East Main Street in Corry in southern Erie County, about 10 miles north of the crime scene.

Details on what led police to identify Cranston as a suspect, and information on a possible motive in the killing, were not immediately available Saturday afternoon. The criminal complaint filed in the case did not include an affidavit of probable cause.

suspect isn't Amish but could have had some dealings with the family? what dealings with the family?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, docyabut2 said:

suspect isn't Amish but could have had some dealings with the family? what dealings with the family?

He may have been a driver for them. Business dealings. I don't know docy. We'll have to wait and see what they say. He's not Amish.

Edited by susieice
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

The daughter of the alleged gunman suspected of killing a pregnant Amish mother-of-two has claimed that her father meant to kill previous homeowner.?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13151967/gunman-pregnant-Amish-woman.html

Cranston's daughter, who was similar in age to the young victim, told JET 24/Fox 66 that she believed the killing may have been a case of mistaken identity.

The Amish couple, who lived in Byler's home a few years ago, adopted Cranston's grandson. The daughter said: 'As far as I know, he just wanted his grandson back.'

Edited by docyabut2
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Did Cranston's daughter, have a son and had the previous homeowners adopted Cranston's grandson.?

and who was the father ?   and was Cranston's daughter the target ?

Edited by docyabut2
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

These articles are all from today. None mention anything about a previous homeowner or a daughter of the suspect. Police are still searching for a motive and are actively investigating. The part quoted is from the Erie-Times.

Slain Amish woman was found with throat cut, affidavit shows (msn.com)

Pregnant Amish woman killed in Pennsylvania home had 'scalping type wound,' slashed throat (msn.com)

Police: Arrest in Amish woman's killing aided by community cooperation in Spartansburg, Pa. area (msn.com)

Shawn C. Cranston was no stranger to the Amish community in eastern Crawford County.

The Corry man was known by certain members of the community in the Spartansburg area, said Lt. Mark Weindorf, crime section supervisor for Pennsylvania State Police Troop E in Lawrence Park Township.

Information on what led state police to accuse Cranston of killing Byler is being held close to the vest. Scant information was released during the five-day homicide investigation and following Cranston's arrest in Corry on Friday night. The criminal complaint state police filed against Cranston did not include an affidavit of probable cause, and the affidavits filed with search warrants for the Byler home addressed only the discovery of Byler's body.

Weindorf said investigators are continuing to search for a motive in Byler's death. Troopers involved in the case are still actively investigating the killing, he said.

"We want to uncover why this happened," Weindorf said.

Troopers have investigated multiple possible theories in the case, and nothing is being discounted at this point, he added.

Edited by susieice
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, docyabut2 said:

The daughter of the alleged gunman suspected of killing a pregnant Amish mother-of-two has claimed that her father meant to kill previous homeowner.?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13151967/gunman-pregnant-Amish-woman.html

Cranston's daughter, who was similar in age to the young victim, told JET 24/Fox 66 that she believed the killing may have been a case of mistaken identity.

The Amish couple, who lived in Byler's home a few years ago, adopted Cranston's grandson. The daughter said: 'As far as I know, he just wanted his grandson back.'

The New York Post has an article like this. These are claims that Cranston's daughter makes but these claims haven't been officially released by the police. The article also says the victim was shot, which has never been said before in anything I read. I'm sure police are looking into this. Patience docy. Little is ever released during an investigation.

Foster daughter of Amish mom’s alleged killer says she could never picture her dad being a ‘cold-hearted monster’ (msn.com)

Edited by susieice
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, susieice said:

The New York Post has an article like this. These are claims that Cranston's daughter makes but these claims haven't been officially released by the police. The article also says the victim was shot, which has never been said before in anything I read. I'm sure police are looking into this. Patience docy. Little is ever released during an investigation.

Foster daughter of Amish mom’s alleged killer says she could never picture her dad being a ‘cold-hearted monster’ (msn.com)

I see now that the Erie-Times is saying that Byler was shot along with having her throat cut. There were also scalping wounds on her head. So is this news article from a TV station in Massachusetts. A red jeep was towed from Cranston's Corry home. The full criminal complaint is in the link. 

He must have told her what happened if she says she knows this. 

Daughter of arrested suspect reacts to pregnant Amish woman murder case (msn.com)

“As far as I know, he just wanted his grandson back,” she added.

Cranston’s daughter believes the murder was a case of mistaken identity. She added the Amish couple who lived in Byler’s home a few years ago adopted Cranston’s grandson.

“Supposedly she started yelling at him, coming in, then that’s when boom, all it took. It’s just horrifying to think that,” she continued.

Edited by susieice
  • Like 1