Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Are You in a UFO Hotspot?

America's UFO hotspots revealed in new map that shows nearly 100,000 sightings spanning two decades ... is YOUR hometown in the 'red zone?'

The first step toward identifying what unidentified flying objects (UFOs) actually are might just be mapping where these enigmas are most sighted, a new study says.

Geographers with the University of Utah — working with the Pentagon's recently retired UFO chief Dr. Sean Kirkpatrick — analyzed roughly 98,000 total UFO reports spanning a 20-year period across the 21st Century, from 2001 to 2020.

The researchers aggressively cross-referenced the data by local population density, light pollution levels, annual cloud cover, 'tree canopy' cover, proximity to airports and military bases and a host of other factors that effect the number UFO sightings.

Geographers with the University of Utah analyzed roughly 98,000 total UFO reports spanning a 20-year period across the 21st Century, from 2001 to 2020

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-13136607/america-ufo-hotspots-map-sightings-red-zone.html

• Like 2

I am.

• Like 1

On the map. A red spot.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Zebra3 said:

On the map. A red spot.

No, no silly.

If you're in a "hotspot" it stands to reason there would be an abundance of photos and videos. Let's see what you got.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

Why?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Trelane said:

If you're in a "hotspot" it stands to reason there would be an abundance of photos and videos. Let's see what you got.

Zebra3 isn't claiming to have seen anything - he's simply saying that he lives in an area indicated on the map in the article as a UFO hotspot.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

We all know his opinions are anyway. The responses would be the same you'd find in every other UFO thread.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

This is as close to a "famous" UFO case as I have been... 

The Baltic Sea anomaly is a feature visible on an indistinct sonar image taken by Peter Lindberg, Dennis Åberg and their Swedish OceanX diving team while treasure hunting on the floor of the northern Baltic Sea at the center of the Gulf of Bothnia in June 2011. The team suggested their sonar image showed an object with unusual features of seemingly non-natural origin, prompting speculation published in tabloid newspapers that the object was a sunken UFO.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baltic_Sea_anomaly

Sonar image.

image.jpeg.9005d30beac35a78f773aeec2cbdf40e.jpeg

...and here is what wishful thinking can do...

image.jpeg.a4d655b766d937be81f2eaa89eb09dce.jpeg

image.jpeg.1fa11927dfe756b22a132945c5d8a147.jpeg

Edited by Hazzard
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Saru said:

Zebra3 isn't claiming to have seen anything - he's simply saying that he lives in an area indicated on the map in the article as a UFO hotspot.

I didn't say he was claiming anything. Again, it's logical that if you're in a "hotspot" of something, you might be able to produce something to lend to that claim. For example, I used to live in an area that was a hotspot for black bears. I had lots of pictures and videos of them in my backyard. Nice to see this response though. Thank you for your cooperation.

1 hour ago, Zebra3 said:

Why?

I'm curious to see what you might have.That's all.

1 hour ago, Zebra3 said:

We all know his opinions are anyway. The responses would be the same you'd find in every other UFO thread.

That right there is the textbook example of a closed mind.🧐

Edited by Trelane
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Every single one of these new cases/disclosures always start out really promising.

Then after taking a closer look it all turns into DOG💩!

• Like 3

How does a particular location become a “UFO hotspot” ?

• Like 5

42 minutes ago, Antigonos said:

It's easy.  On a quiet news day a "journalist" for a local newspaper spots a report on social media from someone who took a blurry photo of Venus, a star link satellite or an aircraft contrail and thought it must be an alien spaceship.   They then publish the story with a sensational headline next day.  Everyone sees it and rushes out to see a passing aircraft, a twinkling star,  the ISS or even the Moon and excitedly reports that they too have seen an alien spacecraft.  Overnight your town has become a UFO hot-spot with dozens of sightings.... 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Antigonos said:

By analyzing the 98k reports over 20 years.

• Thanks 1

I would say accumulating 98K reports over 20 years and not analyzing. Not much real analysis goes into a lot of these alleged events from what I've seen.

Edited by Trelane
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Okay, counting reports and how many are from certain areas of the US to establish the hot spots. Jesus ****ing Christ.

• Like 2

oh, darn. I thought I was in one, but I just missed out. 

they must like it west of the Mississippi 

11 hours ago, Essan said:

It's easy.  On a quiet news day a "journalist" for a local newspaper spots a report on social media from someone who took a blurry photo of Venus, a star link satellite or an aircraft contrail and thought it must be an alien spaceship.   They then publish the story with a sensational headline next day.  Everyone sees it and rushes out to see a passing aircraft, a twinkling star,  the ISS or even the Moon and excitedly reports that they too have seen an alien spacecraft.  Overnight your town has become a UFO hot-spot with dozens of sightings.... 

That is exactly how it works. 

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Zebra3 said:

Okay, counting reports and how many are from certain areas of the US to establish the hot spots. Jesus ****ing Christ.

Wow, no need to get worked up. 

• Like 2

The geography of UFOs. Like a geographical map of world religions, the non-random distribution of UFO sightings is a strong indicator that this is a purely socio-cultural phenomenon.- Michael Shermer.

Bild

https://twitter.com/michaelshermer/status/1685130412094550016/photo/1

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

This is odd.

When I first thought about it, I looked up and got the following: 40% of Americans live near a coast (Oceanic, great lake, large estuaries. SOURCE Bing)
So, my theory of most sightings being where there are most people, is trashed. All out west, and northern new england. very interesting. 

On 3/2/2024 at 6:22 AM, Hazzard said:

The geography of UFOs. Like a geographical map of world religions, the non-random distribution of UFO sightings is a strong indicator that this is a purely socio-cultural phenomenon.- Michael Shermer.

Well, mister Sherer said "a strong indicator", but not proof that it is socio-cultural. But I would like to see his evidence. Anybody support him?? 
I think Sherer's effort is more the "wave-the-magic-wand" show than anything else. To me. it shows that UFO's appear out west a lot more than the east. very simple. 

Edited by Earl.Of.Trumps
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

This is odd.

When I first thought about it, I looked up and got the following: 40% of Americans live near a coast (Oceanic, great lake, large estuaries. SOURCE Bing)
So, my theory of most sightings being where there are most people, is trashed. All out west, and northern new england. very interesting. 

Well, mister Sherer said "a strong indicator", but not proof that it is socio-cultural. But I would like to see his evidence. Anybody support him?? 
I think Sherer's effort is more the "wave-the-magic-wand" show than anything else. To me. it shows that UFO's appear out west a lot more than the east. very simple. 

You need to take a couple of steps back, and look at the entire world map. That is what Shermer is talking about. 

The US seem to be obsessed with UFOs.. hence the socio cultural phenomenon remark. 

• Like 3

On 3/2/2024 at 6:22 AM, Hazzard said:

Bild

https://twitter.com/michaelshermer/status/1685130412094550016/photo/1

Because UFOs would necessarily be uniformly zipping around all areas of the planet?   Michael Shermer is the soft cheese underbelly of pseudo-intellectualism.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Cho Jinn said:

Because UFOs would necessarily be uniformly zipping around all areas of the planet?   Michael Shermer is the soft cheese underbelly of pseudo-intellectualism.

No, not necessarily. However, it is curious how the stark uneven distribution lands almost exclusively in the US.

• Like 2