Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Britain For Sale: The country's biggest firms are being picked off 'one by one'

pellinore

Posted (edited)

Foreign investors are picking the carcase of bankrupt Britain. And they don't want to invest, they want to lay off staff and make a quick buck.

First it was Wincanton, then Currys and now Direct Line. Companies at the heart of the UK economy are being preyed on by foreign suitors – and it could be just the start.

As global dealmaking comes back with a bang after a long hiatus, private equity barons and cash-rich corporations see listed British businesses as a bargain.

And some observers fear the worst. ‘The situation is looking structural and terminal for UK mid-cap businesses,’ said Richard Bernstein, boss of activist investor Crystal Amber.

‘This is very serious. They are just being picked off one by one.’

Britain For Sale: The country's biggest firms are being picked off 'one by one' as foreign predators pounce | This is Money

Edited by pellinore
  • Thanks 1

It would be a problem if few new companies started up, fortunately -

Record Number of New Startups Launched in the United Kingdom in Past Year – Report

"The New Startup Index from NatWest and Beauhurst has found that over 900,000 new companies were incorporated in the UK in 2023, making it a record year for new businesses.

The startup boom brings the number of active companies “operating in the UK to 5.31m, also a UK record high, pointing towards continued growth in the UK’s population of entrepreneurs, despite challenging economic conditions such as heightened inflation and increased operational costs.”

James Holian, Head of Business Banking, NatWest Group, said:

It is hard not to feel a sense of pride in the resilience and dynamism of the UK’s business landscape. Today’s report shows that despite the recent economic challenges, entrepreneurial spirit in the country has not just endured, it has thrived. Small businesses are the lifeblood of our economy, accounting for three-fifths of employment and about half of the private sector’s turnover.

https://www.crowdfundinsider.com/2024/02/221624-record-number-of-new-startups-launched-in-the-united-kingdom-in-past-year-report/

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, L.A.T.1961 said:

It would be a problem if few new companies started up, fortunately -

Record Number of New Startups Launched in the United Kingdom in Past Year – Report

"The New Startup Index from NatWest and Beauhurst has found that over 900,000 new companies were incorporated in the UK in 2023, making it a record year for new businesses.

The startup boom brings the number of active companies “operating in the UK to 5.31m, also a UK record high, pointing towards continued growth in the UK’s population of entrepreneurs, despite challenging economic conditions such as heightened inflation and increased operational costs.”

James Holian, Head of Business Banking, NatWest Group, said:

It is hard not to feel a sense of pride in the resilience and dynamism of the UK’s business landscape. Today’s report shows that despite the recent economic challenges, entrepreneurial spirit in the country has not just endured, it has thrived. Small businesses are the lifeblood of our economy, accounting for three-fifths of employment and about half of the private sector’s turnover.

https://www.crowdfundinsider.com/2024/02/221624-record-number-of-new-startups-launched-in-the-united-kingdom-in-past-year-report/

So, the Crowdfund Insider Magazine sees a boom in crowdfunding startups? Would you like to buy a bridge? I have a nice one in London. Maybe I'm a bit late pitching my offer.

UK Saw Foreign Investment Collapse After Brexit, UN Says - Bloomberg

Edited by pellinore

This is great news. 

I now have an exit strategy for my businesses.

No.wondwr the UK is experiencing record numbers if start ups, the future is very bright, start up, grow it, get a foreign buyer to invest into the UK and allow the owne to exit.

This creates lots of prosperity. That start up to mid cap is the biggest employer in the UK. Lots more jobs, lots more optimism for entrepreneurs who can now see the real fruit of their labour.

Well done UK. 

1 hour ago, OpenMindedSceptic said:

This is great news. 

I now have an exit strategy for my businesses.

No.wondwr the UK is experiencing record numbers if start ups, the future is very bright, start up, grow it, get a foreign buyer to invest into the UK and allow the owne to exit.

This creates lots of prosperity. That start up to mid cap is the biggest employer in the UK. Lots more jobs, lots more optimism for entrepreneurs who can now see the real fruit of their labour.

Well done UK. 

I`m against the self off of those organisations which could grow into the mega corporations of tomorrow.

But as for regular ones, sure, sell and make a decent bit of profit. Then onto the next project. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, pellinore said:

So, the Crowdfund Insider Magazine sees a boom in crowdfunding startups? Would you like to buy a bridge? I have a nice one in London. Maybe I'm a bit late pitching my offer.

UK Saw Foreign Investment Collapse After Brexit, UN Says - Bloomberg

So, you're now trying to tell us that companies formed after Brexit are less significant than companies formed before Brexit. 🤔

It is a fact that more companies are formed than dissolved each year, yet you are casting doubt on companies formed post-Brexit.

It can be assumed that companies formed after Brexit and into the future will be less reliant on UK membership of the EU.

This should help you understand things better. You can see from the Chart (Chart 1) that UK incorporations and dissolutions from 1979 to 2023 have been steadily growing in sync since 1979 (except for a period in 2008/09, probably due to the Global Financial Crisis). 👇👇👇👇

https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/companies-register-activities-statistical-release-2022-to-2023/companies-register-activities-2022-to-2023

So it is a fact that companies are forming and dissolving as they always have done, and always will do.

New companies will always replace dissolved companies. As they do, they will be less reliant on UK membership of the EU.

In summary, it could be a fact that companies that failed to adapt to exiting the EU have indeed gone out of business, however, it can equally be assumed that companies formed after 2016 are more diverse. And in any case, the trend is up, NOT down.

Edited by Destination Unknown
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Meanwhile, in the real world outside of the Remoaners perpetual version of doom and gloom, the first few weeks of 2024 alone has seen the UK's automotive industry absolutely booming, with:

. Aston Martin creating more than 400 new jobs at its Gaydon, Warwickshire, and their St Athan, Wales, plants to support the production of its next generation of sports cars and the DBX707 SUV.

Shhh. Don't tell pellinore. 🤫👇👇👇👇

https://www.astonmartin.com/en/our-world/news/2024/2/19/aston-martin-to-create-new-manufacturing-jobs-at-gaydon-and-st-athan-facilities

. Stellantis has announced plans to build electric vans at its Luton plant from next year, securing the site's future, and more than 1,500 jobs.

https://www.wardsauto.com/industry-news/stellantis-open-second-bev-production-hub-uk

. Ford Motor Company opened a new £24 million facility at its UK headquarters in Essex, reaffirming the Dunton Campus’ vital role in delivering Ford’s European electric vehicle plans.

https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/feu/gb/en/news/2024/02/14/ford-expands-electric-vehicle-test-laboratories-at-uk-headquarte.html

. Tata Group's new £4 billion manufacturing plant, which is expected to create 4,000 direct jobs and thousands more across the supply chain, will be built at the 620-acre Gravity Smart Campus in Bridgwater, Somerset.

https://www.businesstoday.in/latest/world/story/tata-groups-first-gigafactory-outside-of-india-to-be-set-up-in-englands-bridgwater-419285-2024-02-28

. A huge expansion of the MIRA Technology Park in the Midlands (Europe's largest Automotive Technology Research and Development Cluster, which is already home to over 35 major firms including Aston Martin, Bosch, Toyota, Polestar, Triumph, GKN and JLR), has been approved, creating more than 2,500 jobs.

https://www.travelandtourworld.com/news/article/mira-technology-park-expansion-fuels-job-surge/

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Destination Unknown said:

Meanwhile, in the real world outside of the Remoaners perpetual version of doom and gloom, the first few weeks of 2024 alone has seen the UK's automotive industry absolutely booming, with:

. Aston Martin creating more than 400 new jobs at its Gaydon, Warwickshire, and their St Athan, Wales, plants to support the production of its next generation of sports cars and the DBX707 SUV.

https://www.astonmartin.com/en/our-world/news/2024/2/19/aston-martin-to-create-new-manufacturing-jobs-at-gaydon-and-st-athan-facilities

. Stellantis has announced plans to build electric vans at its Luton plant from next year, securing the site's future, and more than 1,500 jobs.

https://www.wardsauto.com/industry-news/stellantis-open-second-bev-production-hub-uk

. Ford Motor Company opened a new £24 million facility at its UK headquarters in Essex, reaffirming the Dunton Campus’ vital role in delivering Ford’s European electric vehicle plans.

https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/feu/gb/en/news/2024/02/14/ford-expands-electric-vehicle-test-laboratories-at-uk-headquarte.html

. Tata Group's new £4 billion manufacturing plant, which is expected to create 4,000 direct jobs and thousands more across the supply chain, will be built at the 620-acre Gravity Smart Campus in Bridgwater, Somerset.

https://www.businesstoday.in/latest/world/story/tata-groups-first-gigafactory-outside-of-india-to-be-set-up-in-englands-bridgwater-419285-2024-02-28

. A huge expansion of the MIRA Technology Park in the Midlands (Europe's largest Automotive Technology Research and Development Cluster, which is already home to over 35 major firms including Aston Martin, Bosch, Toyota, Polestar, Triumph, GKN and JLR), has been approved, creating more than 2,500 jobs.

https://www.travelandtourworld.com/news/article/mira-technology-park-expansion-fuels-job-surge/

This is just nonsense. Of course there will be startups, investments and business as usual. It will just be at a lower intensity. About 5-6.5% less intense. Which doesn't sound a lot, but my word, wouldn't Jeremy Hunt and Rishi Sunak like to point to 5% growth!

Brexit is over, even the Telegraph admits it. Liz Truss tried a Brexit budget (Singapore on Thames style) and it crashed and burned, and UK citizens are still paying for it.  The electorate have had enough of lies, they now want stability and some restoration of wealth.

Your nonsense doesn't wash against the real hardship people are experiencing. People don't care if entrepreneurs or property magnates are getting richer (we all know the gap between the rich and poor has increased since 2010 and the number of foodbanks has rocketed). They care about paying bills, which are increasing under the mad economic experiment of Brexit.

The Daily Mail printed the article I quoted- they are very right wing and pro-Tory- even they know the economy is going down the plughole.

Edited by pellinore

24 minutes ago, Destination Unknown said:

All whilst we were in your beloved EU.

It should be your beloved, as well. It is our continent. I love the Greek Islands, Spanish beaches, Italian food. Unlike you, I have been part of a NATO army based in Germany. It is our home. (Maybe not you, as you may be some Russian bot).

And we should support it, for so very obvious reasons.

• Like 1

Well they been sellin the US over here too. Acre by acre, mostly to China, or perhaps Arizona's water to Saudi Arabia.

Posted (edited)
56 minutes ago, pellinore said:

It should be your beloved, as well. It is our continent. I love the Greek Islands, Spanish beaches, Italian food. Unlike you, I have been part of a NATO army based in Germany. It is our home. (Maybe not you, as you may be some Russian bot).

And we should support it, for so very obvious reasons.

Are you actually for real pellinore?

Europe is a continental region consisting of around 50 countries, whilst the EU is a political institution consisting of just 27 of those European countries.

The EU and Europe are two entirely different things altogether, so stop interchanging them, because they are NOT the same thing at all.

Heck, part of Russia is also on the continent of Europe as well, where most of the Russian population live. In fact, the largest country in Europe is Russia, so does that mean Putin should apply for Russia to become an EU member then? 🤦

https://www.nationsonline.org/oneworld/europe.htm

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Destination Unknown said:

Are you actually for real pellinore?

Europe is a continental region consisting of around 50 countries, whilst the EU is a political institution consisting of just 27 of those European countries.

The EU and Europe are two entirely different things altogether, so stop interchanging them, because they are NOT the same thing at all.

Heck, part of Russia is also on the continent of Europe as well, where most of the Russian population live. In fact, the largest country in Europe is Russia, so does that mean Putin should apply for Russia to become an EU member then? 🤦

https://www.nationsonline.org/oneworld/europe.htm

Russia and Belarus are European countries.

The Russians just grabbed Siberia a few centuries back, and believe it or not even owned Alaska. They sold it to America.

1 hour ago, Electric Scooter said:

Russia and Belarus are European countries.

The Russians just grabbed Siberia a few centuries back, and believe it or not even owned Alaska. They sold it to America.

That Alaska sale was actually kind of a scam.  The native Americans there were a little miffed that someone claimed their land and then sold it to someone else.

It would be like me selling someone my neighbor's house.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, pellinore said:

The Daily Mail printed the article I quoted- they are very right wing and pro-Tory- even they know the economy is going down the plughole.

The Mail's support for the Tories has changed due to the fact they do not see a traditional conservative gov operating in number 10.

Until the bulk of the Tory party remember how to make logic driven regulation, cut red tape and hold down taxation I can't see this changing. 

Unfortunately they are also tethered by a civil service hell bent on making brexit a problem. 

They will never forgive those who cut off their retirement jobs in Brussels with a nice office, generous expense allowance and gold plated pensions.

3 minutes ago, L.A.T.1961 said:

Unfortunately they are also tethered by a civil service hell bent on making brexit a problem. 

Brexit is making Brexit a problem. Read the FT article I posted- if you erect barriers to trade, you will do less trade. It is so simple.

5 minutes ago, pellinore said:

Brexit is making Brexit a problem. Read the FT article I posted- if you erect barriers to trade, you will do less trade. It is so simple.

Brexit leaves UK trade unscathed, finds new IEA report

The UK’s trade patterns with the EU fail to show a Brexit effect, either since the referendum or the end of the transition period.

Trade continued to grow between 2016 and the conclusion of the Brexit transition in 2020, indicating that Brexit uncertainty did not reduce UK-EU exchange.

UK goods exports rose by 13.5 per cent to EU countries and 14.3 per cent to non-EU countries between 2019 and 2022, before and after Brexit. This indicates no impact of Brexit on goods trade.

UK services exports rose by 14.8 per cent to EU countries and 22.1 per cent to non-EU countries over the same period. Varying demand levels for different products across countries, rather than any consistent Brexit impact, explains this finding.

UK trade patterns compared to other G7 countries have not changed since Brexit.

https://iea.org.uk/media/brexit-leaves-uk-trade-unscathed-finds-new-iea-report/

22 minutes ago, L.A.T.1961 said:

Brexit leaves UK trade unscathed, finds new IEA report

The UK’s trade patterns with the EU fail to show a Brexit effect, either since the referendum or the end of the transition period.

Trade continued to grow between 2016 and the conclusion of the Brexit transition in 2020, indicating that Brexit uncertainty did not reduce UK-EU exchange.

UK goods exports rose by 13.5 per cent to EU countries and 14.3 per cent to non-EU countries between 2019 and 2022, before and after Brexit. This indicates no impact of Brexit on goods trade.

UK services exports rose by 14.8 per cent to EU countries and 22.1 per cent to non-EU countries over the same period. Varying demand levels for different products across countries, rather than any consistent Brexit impact, explains this finding.

UK trade patterns compared to other G7 countries have not changed since Brexit.

https://iea.org.uk/media/brexit-leaves-uk-trade-unscathed-finds-new-iea-report/

The FT is used by UK and international investors and financiers. The IEA is a pro-Brexit thinktank. Which one do you think will give impartial advice? Anyway, just think: what do you think will be the effect of erecting trade barriers? You don't need to be an economist to see that it will decrease. Which it has.

8 minutes ago, pellinore said:

The FT is used by UK and international investors and financiers. The IEA is a pro-Brexit thinktank. Which one do you think will give impartial advice? Anyway, just think: what do you think will be the effect of erecting trade barriers? You don't need to be an economist to see that it will decrease. Which it has.

The FT is not pro Britain and was one of the group regurgitating a brexit cliff edge scenario.

I would say the number of professionals depending on FT advice have long since moved to other less blinkered and realistic publications.  

1 hour ago, L.A.T.1961 said:

The FT is not pro Britain and was one of the group regurgitating a brexit cliff edge scenario.

I would say the number of professionals depending on FT advice have long since moved to other less blinkered and realistic publications.  

You've never understood what the "cliff edge" referred to with regard to Brexit, though I have explained to you in the past. If you would prefer to get your info from a Tufton Street thinktank, that's up to you, as long as you realise it is not truthful.