Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

War On The Internet - A CT, or is it?

MrsGently

Let's start in the year 2014, with TheGuardian:

At first it reads like just another tweet extolling the power of social media. At 9am on Thursday, as news broke of the latest US air strikes in northern Iraq, its author likened the might of social networking to that of the "gun or sword". But the mention of weaponry was not just a fancy bit of metaphor. Hundreds of jihadists currently fighting in the Middle East are believed to follow the Twitter account of Nasser Balochi, a Sunni Muslim and one of a proliferating army of tweeters doubling as online recruiting sergeants for the intensifying conflicts in Syria and Iraq.

Strategically it makes perfect sense, because we in the West want our internet to actually connect us to the 'world' (unlike China or Russia fe one would almost assume because they knew all along how powerful it can be to destabilize a country) it is very easy to access, basically no cost and no 'hardware' required, just a little phone and some wifi everybody has anyways.

We thought they recruit among people already culturally or religiously associated with Muslim countries, but no. Look at the one who got shot at the Mega Church in Houston recently: Free Palestine.

I don't have a comprehensive list of all the recent people who lost their marble just that it was many and often like the Airman who set himself on fire in front of the embassy: pro Palestine. That is who they recruit. That is the war on the internet.

People like Teixeira who join in their free time a harmless discord group about Minecraft and get 'worked on' when they found out who they worked for, with cognitive dissonance and a game of carrot and stick until all they want is to be a part of the group and make them think 'you're cool' and that good Christian boy, who was friendly and totally doesn't deserve it, spends his life in prison as traitor.

Australia is, it would seem, the first country to take the threat seriously.

Believe what I write, or not, that's not important to me. But please: use two step identification on your email, idealy an email for important stuff you keep extra safe; and one 'for fun stuff', like games and forums and pinterest, discord, or whatever you do. Maybe even two or more seperate devices and keep your router updated.

And don't let anybody tell you, you could be anything other than unique and cute. lol

More serious: That is basically my Conspiracy Theory of the day: we are at war. The internet is a wild west without borders. Take care and stay safe.

• Like 2

Most of the world has become completely dependent on The Web.    Which is mostly possible through Satellite  Networks??     Those systems seem extremely vulnerable to attack ??   Missiles?  …I worry about a destructive electromagnetic weapon of some sort…. A  BEAM of light basically which incapacitates it’s communications????     Is something like that possible . . .YET!??    If the WWWeb went down….this society stops. !  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, MrsGently said:

The internet is a wild west without borders.

Well said. This is why countries are starting to clamp down on it. It's a double edged sword that we keep cutting ourselves with. Is the internet the best thing that's happened to humans, or a curse that will doom us? It seems to be that the internet is where truth came to die.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Hankenhunter said:

Well said. This is why countries are starting to clamp down on it. It's a double edged sword that we keep cutting ourselves with. Is the internet the best thing that's happened to humans, or a curse that will doom us? It seems to be that the internet is where truth came to die.

That is true. I mean I have experienced the Q saga developing front row and to me the 'lore' behind it which is really just a melasse of all conspiracy theories ever, boiled down to this disgusting sirup of paranoia, is a sort of 'mental terrorist attack'. Q is for Trump and this is sign for a collaboration between domestic terrorists, with Russia, and actual Jihadis with the help of Mafia/cartels... unproven as of yet.

But to me that is the line where freedom of speech gets superseded by preventing a civil war. A conspiracy theory sure, but I got strong reasons to suspect that is what this actually is. Globally. The far right has teamed up with crime & terror. imho

7 hours ago, lightly said:

Most of the world has become completely dependent on The Web.    Which is mostly possible through Satellite  Networks??     Those systems seem extremely vulnerable to attack ??   Missiles?  …I worry about a destructive electromagnetic weapon of some sort…. A  BEAM of light basically which incapacitates it’s communications????     Is something like that possible . . .YET!??    If the WWWeb went down….this society stops. !  

I appreciate the enthusiasm, but this is taking what I said and blow it way out of proportion. Reality is they try to work on the mind of the weak and vulnerable exactly with hyperbole like that.

• Thanks 1

On 3/1/2024 at 11:59 AM, MrsGently said:

And don't let anybody tell you, you could be anything other than unique and cute. lol

You are paranoid.

The great problem as I see it with the Internet is that every person is far too ready to give their opinions the value of truth (without evidence).

The worst offenders are religious groups, who regard their ancient scriptures as evidence, when they aren't.