Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Dugway expansion: Is it the new Area 51 ?

UM-Bot

Posted (IP: Staff) ·

news icon rDoes the Army want to expand its Dugway Proving Ground in Utah so it can forcibly obtain nearby land it contaminated with chemical weapons but has refused to clean? Or does it want to keep UFO-hunting groups farther away from the secretive base because they now closely watch it, suspecting that it stores and works on alien spacecraft as a "new Area 51"? Pick either theory or one of your own because the Army isn't going to say.

news icon View: Full Article | Source: Deseret News

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• UM-Bot

• stillcrazy

• ROGER

• Gatofeo

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not sure if it's important, but the Article said the ARMY was looking at the expansion. But the sign in the picture clearly reads United States Air Force.

Also, if the area was used for chemical and biological agent bombings I don't think they would build a research facility there. They probably want to keep people out so they don't kill them selves.

Back in the 70's I served at Castle AFB in California. Years later they closed the base and sold it to the neighboring towns. But it took 65 million dollars to clean it up the soil contaminated with Jet fuel, Oils, and residue from the Bomb holding area. This was only a couple of miles. This base in Utah is Huge!

I think the sign is a stock photo.

Either way. The expansion would not be that hard to imagine as the military is looking to expand it's operations in Utah for several reasons.

1. Remoteness of the locations. Most of the state is desert and sage brush. But due to it being high desert, has extremes in weather.

2. Political influence. Utah, considered the cradle of current mormonism, a religious group who are, by and large very patriotic, would be less nosey than a more liberal state such as Nevada.

3. Better infrastructure in regards to roads connecting other bases/facilities.

While Groom had a good on site system of transporting goods, it was hell on contractors to bring in material and personal to the facility. Dugway and the GRC eliminate these problems and still maintain their privacy.

• 1 year later...

Dugway Proving Ground adjoins the even larger Utah Test & Training Range (UTTR), which is a huge bombing and test-flight area operated by the Air Force. The UTTR takes in parts of Idaho, Utah and Nevada.

That photo was obviously taken at the boundary of the UTTR. The reporter who took that photo didn't know Dugway from the UTTR.

By international treaty, the outdoor use of chemical or biological agents --- even to test defenses --- is banned. Signatory countries send inspectors to each other all the time, to ensure compliance. The US sends inspectors to France, Israel, Great Britain, Russia and so on, and they send their inspectors to the U.S. to ensure America is complying.

Outdoor use of biological agents was banned in 1969. Outdoor use of chemical agents (nerve gas, mustard gas, etc.) was banned in the early 1980s.

Therefore, chemical or biological agents are not used outdoors at Dugway Proving Ground. Instead, benign substances with the same characteristics as the actual agent --- called "simulants" --- are used for testing detectors, protective equipment, filtration systems and such in outdoor testing.

Dugway wishes to expand its border to discourage military and industrial espionage. It faces the same situation that Groom Lake faced years ago --- unauthorized, wildly speculative eyes watching it. Today, with America at war, there is good reason to discourage espionage.

A good up date Gatofeo. Thank you. You ex-military also or just like to keep up on local events?

A good up date Gatofeo. Thank you. You ex-military also or just like to keep up on local events?

Ex military. I have good, plausible sources when it comes to Dugway Proving Ground. I live in Utah, near it.

I think it is going to be a base for the mormon poligamists. On big love fest. :P

I think it is going to be a base for the mormon poligamists. On big love fest. :P

:w00t: ..ya the US military just bought a bunch of grateful dead records and tie dye shirts for the base....somehow i'm leaning to the alien project theory... :innocent: