Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Serpent Mound, and...

The Serpent Mound:

SerpentMound.jpg.15fcb8f2f65911d60c6393619e3ea5e1.jpg

And this petroglyph in Wales:

Anglesey-BrynCelliDdu.thumb.jpg.6e59c2ee00439138320b19d32c8e6603.jpg

I just thought the similarity was kind of odd.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Beyond the wiggly lines, there's not much similarity as far as I can tell.  The petroglyph is interesting.  What other information do you have about it?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

That's in @tcgram state. Have you been there tc?

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Hawken said:

That's in @tcgram state. Have you been there tc?

I haven't been there, it's about 3 1/2 hours southeast of where I live.   I've been by it many times but not seen it yet.  

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Abramelin said:

Anglesey-BrynCelliDdu.thumb.jpg.6e59c2ee00439138320b19d32c8e6603.jpg

Thats Britain on the left, and they are saying the English Channel used to be a river, and there have it originating from Doggerland with a spiral which is Atlantis. Its obvious.

The Welsh are saying they are Atlanteans. Whats the claimed date of the carving?

4 minutes ago, Electric Scooter said:

Thats Britain on the left, and they are saying the English Channel used to be a river, and there have it originating from Doggerland with a spiral which is Atlantis. Its obvious.

The Welsh are saying they are Atlanteans. Whats the claimed date of the carving?

Put down the crack pipe.

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Antigonos said:

Put down the crack pipe.

Serious, look at that other river at the top right. Thats the river that used to exist from the Baltics all the way to the North Atlantic.

Its a map. I always knew us Brits were special, and look you`re Greek, your ancestors had even heard of us. Plato and Solon.

Edited by Electric Scooter

Posted (edited)

@Electric Scooter Plato wrote of Atlantis as a fictional device. He mentioned Solon but Solon himself never said a word about Atlantis, neither did the Egyptians. Nobody before Plato spoke of it. There are so many historical and scientific impossibilities taking the story literally that it’s worthless thinking of Plato’s account  as a genuine document. In addition, Plato invented several other fictional societies but no one has ever claimed they were real.  It was Ignatius Donnelly who invented that possibility, and the early charlatan Theosophists like Helena Blavatsky who took the ball and ran with it. 30 years later Edgar Cayce took up the flame. This is a perfect example of how legends grow with each telling as time passes and without the consulting of the original source material.

There is nothing in the archaeological record of it. It’s also a geological impossibility for it to have existed where Plato claimed it was and its supposed dimensions knowing what we know of plate tectonics, the layout of the ocean floor outside of the Straits of Gibraltar, and the morphology of the Mid Atlantic Ridge.

I spent many years believing in the possibility of its existence. Believe me I was very disappointed having to admit there’s nothing to it. 

Why would a nationalistic and proud people like the Welsh ever claim that they came from somewhere else, especially someplace as outlandish as Atlantis? They have an entire cultural corpus of their own unique folklore and legends. The notion of Atlantean colonists was invented by Ignatius Donnelly in his late 19th century book iAtlantis: The Antiluvian World, which also invented out of thin air the idea that Egypt was a colony of Atlantis. Something else Plato never said.

Even assuming such hypothetical colonies were real, them coming to the British Isles brings up a whole bunch of other unanswerable questions. 

Edited by Antigonos
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 5

29 minutes ago, Antigonos said:

There is nothing in the archaeological record of it. It’s also a geological impossibility for it to have existed where Plato claimed it was and its supposed dimensions knowing what we know of plate tectonics, the layout of the ocean floor outside of the Straits of Gibraltar, and the morphology of the Mid Atlantic Ridge.

I spent many years believing in the possibility of its existence. Believe me I was very disappointed having to admit there’s nothing to it. 

Why would a nationalistic and proud people like the Welsh ever claim that they came from somewhere else, especially someplace as outlandish as Atlantis? They have an entire cultural corpus of their own unique folklore and legends. The notion of Atlantean colonists was invented by Ignatius Donnelly in his late 19th century book iAtlantis: The Antiluvian World, which also invented out of thin air the idea that Egypt was a colony of Atlantis. Something else Plato never said.

Even assuming such hypothetical colonies were real, them coming to the British Isles brings up a whole bunch of other unanswerable questions. 

@Antigonos Well the stone shows an archaeological reference to it.

The ancient Greek world for opposite also means outside, so it might be a case that it was in the North Sea. The Welsh people would be mighty proud to be Atlanteans. It would be expandable to Britons in general.

I don't see any connection between the Mound Builders and Atlantis, and frankly it is off-topic. 

What we do know is that there was a terrible smallpox epidemic throughout North America after Hernando De Soto's expedition went thru the region and brought along a slave with smallpox deliberately, having seen the destruction the disease wrought on the Aztecs.

The effect of smallpox was apocalyptic, with the intelligentsia of the Mound Builder cultures being wiped out, along with 90% of the population, and the generations born of the survivors largely unaware of their former civilization.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Kenemet said:

Beyond the wiggly lines, there's not much similarity as far as I can tell.  The petroglyph is interesting.  What other information do you have about it?

I had more info, but for now this will do:

https://cadw.gov.wales/visit/places-to-visit/bryn-celli-ddu-burial-chamber

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Electric Scooter said:

In fact I used the image in the Doggerland thread. On the left I also thought to recognise the ancient east coast of England and Scotland. The spiral thingy was ? a representation of a comet impact into the infant North Sea.

But let's forget about Atlantis.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Abramelin said:

In fact I used the image in the Doggerland thread. On the left I also thought to recognise the ancient east coast of England and Scotland. The spiral thingy was ? a representation of a comet impact into the infant North Sea.

But let's forget about Atlantis.

My theory, which @Swede agrees with is Serpent Mound was a response by the Fort Ancient Culture, the ancestors of the Shawnee and Illini to Halley's Comet. Iilaanituu (Comet) was the spirit of devastating war and they wanted the Great Serpent to protect them. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, Piney said:

My theory, which @Swede agrees with is Serpent Mound was a response by the Fort Ancient Culture, the ancestors of the Shawnee and Illini to Halley's Comet. Iilaanituu (Comet) was the spirit of devastating war and they wanted the Great Serpent to protect them. 

Do you have a date for that culture?

22 minutes ago, Abramelin said:

Do you have a date for that culture?

1000 to about 1750.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Piney said:

1000 to about 1750.

Ah. That's far too recent.

But still, a comet inspired those people to create that mound.

And Europeans of that time and age felt exactly the same about the appearence of a comet in the skies.

That must have a reason, and not just because a passing comet is an imposing heavenly spectacle.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Abramelin said:

Ah. That's far too recent.

But still, a comet inspired those people to create that mound.

And Europeans of that time and age felt exactly the same about the appearence of a comet in the skies.

That must have a reason, and not just because a passing comet is an imposing heavenly spectacle.

With the Central Algonquians and Siouian the Serpent with the egg was a problem solving charm. Comets predicted brutal wars. They built the biggest charm they could to prevent the predicted war.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Kenemet said:

So roughly a 5,000 year interval.

With the final stage of Doggerland you mean?

The earliest identified remains at the site are a row of five postholes previously thought to have been contemporary with the tomb. Radiocarbon dating of pine charcoal from two of the pits, carried out in 2006, showed these to date from around 4000 BC, putting them at the end of the Mesolithic, 1,000 years before the next phase of use.[7] Their purpose, however, is unknown.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/BrynCelliDdu

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Abramelin said:

With the final stage of Doggerland you mean?

The earliest identified remains at the site are a row of five postholes previously thought to have been contemporary with the tomb. Radiocarbon dating of pine charcoal from two of the pits, carried out in 2006, showed these to date from around 4000 BC, putting them at the end of the Mesolithic, 1,000 years before the next phase of use.[7] Their purpose, however, is unknown.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/BrynCelliDdu

Link is wrong. This is the correct one:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bryn_Celli_Ddu

• Like 1

On 3/4/2024 at 3:08 AM, Antigonos said:

@Electric Scooter Plato wrote of Atlantis as a fictional device. He mentioned Solon but Solon himself never said a word about Atlantis, neither did the Egyptians. Nobody before Plato spoke of it. There are so many historical and scientific impossibilities taking the story literally that it’s worthless thinking of Plato’s account  as a genuine document. In addition, Plato invented several other fictional societies but no one has ever claimed they were real.  It was Ignatius Donnelly who invented that possibility, and the early charlatan Theosophists like Helena Blavatsky who took the ball and ran with it. 30 years later Edgar Cayce took up the flame. This is a perfect example of how legends grow with each telling as time passes and without the consulting of the original source material.

Are you telling me that the movie King Auther where Merlin is the last surviving son of Atlantis, was made up? Hollywood would never lie to us like that. :) 

• Thanks 1

On 3/4/2024 at 3:40 AM, Duke Wellington said:

@Antigonos Well the stone shows an archaeological reference to it.

The ancient Greek world for opposite also means outside, so it might be a case that it was in the North Sea. The Welsh people would be mighty proud to be Atlanteans. It would be expandable to Britons in general.

It really does not, your interpretation of the stone shows that. But there is no evidence that what you see is correct at all. You cannot present opinion as fact. 

Just cause I have a big cupboard at home does not mean Narnia is on the other side of it. 

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Peter Cox said:

It really does not, your interpretation of the stone shows that. But there is no evidence that what you see is correct at all. You cannot present opinion as fact. 

Just cause I have a big cupboard at home does not mean Narnia is on the other side of it. 

The evidence is obvious and staring you in the face.

I mean, look at it. 

1 hour ago, Duke Wellington said:

Just like Duke Wellington. 

3c53dced1a862fd5a0c7401ce944ff41.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, Duke Wellington said:

I mean, look at it. 

Ahhh yes, why did I not see it before? Silly me.... I completely missed it. Oh wait that's cause I'm a clever boy and took my dads advice and said no to drugs. 

• Thanks 1