Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Plans to label UK homegrown food sparks ministerial row (FT)

pellinore

Posted (edited)

Davis: 'No downsides only considerable upsides'; Fox: 'Easiest deal in history'; Rees Mogg: '20% reduction in costs of food and clothing'; Gove: 'Exactly the same relationship with Europe to work and live'; Johnson: 'We will abolish VAT;' Johnson: 'There will be no sea border between NI and Britain'; Hannan: 'We will look back from our sunlit uplands and wonder why we did not do this years ago'; Farage: 'We will take back control of our borders.'

Yes, there has been Covid and the Ukraine War, but there will always be world events. The world is not going to go on hold so the UK can "Get Brexit Done". Next year we may well have Trump destabilising world order.

Every single promise made has delivered the exact opposite result. 

Farmers and fishermen thought they would benefit in some way- now they are going the same way as the coal and steel industry- undercut by cheaper imports, and the govt can do nowt because it has left our own continent and signed up to importing cheaper and inferior products.

It's time the British 'Took Back Control', and recognise we are Europeans, not Asians, Indians, or Africans, or whatever the Brexiters identify as, and got our country back.

UK government plans to introduce labels to promote homegrown food products, including the high animal welfare standards used to produce them, have sparked a ministerial row across Whitehall.

Business and trade secretary Kemi Badenoch has warned Steve Barclay, her counterpart at the Department for Environment Food and Rural Affairs, that his plans will drive up food costs and risk upsetting Britain’s trade partners.

Defra is poised to launch an industry-wide consultation on the proposals that were announced in early January. Barclay said at the time that the labels would be designed to address the lack of clear labelling on imported meat products, which are often produced to lower standards than those in the UK.

The move was widely seen as an attempt to curry favour with the UK farming lobby, which has been highly critical of a post-Brexit trade policy, including a 2021 trade deal with Australia that the National Farmers’ Union described as “one-sided”.

(archive.ph)

Edited by pellinore
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, pellinore said:

Even better `Made in Britain` and launch a buy British campaign.

• Like 2

• The title was changed to Plans to label UK homegrown food sparks ministerial row (FT)
Just now, Electric Scooter said:

Even better `Made in Britain` and launch a buy British campaign.

Even better, launch a 'Made in Europe' campaign and support our own continent. Instead of selling out our economy to the other side of the world.

38 minutes ago, pellinore said:

Even better, launch a 'Made in Europe' campaign and support our own continent. Instead of selling out our economy to the other side of the world.

Gasps....

You are proposing helping the Franco-Prussians with their evil sinister plot to rule the world. I`m speechless, you need to be sent to a Brexit re-education camp, with plenty of tea and biscuits, and cricket, and flag waving, and singing the national anthem. I`m literally speechless.

1 hour ago, pellinore said:

Every single promise made has delivered the exact opposite result. 

I'm no expert on Brexit but you know what's worse than making a potential mistake with good intentions?  Whinging and b****ing INCESSANTLY over not getting your way.  Dude, it's almost like stalking behavior.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, pellinore said:

Business and trade secretary Kemi Badenoch has warned Steve Barclay, her counterpart at the Department for Environment Food and Rural Affairs, that his plans will drive up food costs and risk upsetting Britain’s trade partners.

how? We're all doing it in Europe too. 'Regional' is a big selling argument in Italy, France, Germany...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, and-then said:

I'm no expert on Brexit but you know what's worse than making a potential mistake with good intentions?  Whinging and b****ing INCESSANTLY over not getting your way.  Dude, it's almost like stalking behavior.

Just don't read it. He is informing me very well with very relevant things that are happening on my favourite island.

What's your problem? Just needed an excuse to whine and insult and gaslight someone?

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, MrsGently said:

how? We're all doing it in Europe too. 'Regional' is a big selling argument in Italy, France, Germany...

Absolutely, and many foods labels quite rightly are protected to stop lower quality copies being passed off as genuine foods produced traditionally and regionally. Easy examples to think of are champagne, feta and other speciality cheeses, Spanish and Polish regional smoked and cured meats, though there are loads of others. We were once involved in setting these standards, but we chose to remain outside.

The problem with the UK and food labels is not understood by most UK citizens. I'll break it down into three points:

1. To sell food into another countries' market, you have to meet their safety standards. You prove this with a paper trail of production. It is expensive to produce, as it involves vets, tests, and proof of safe transport, etc.

We didn't have to produce all this paperwork previously, so it is an added expense.

2. Manufacturers can't just print a label saying, "Not for EU" and stick it on a pie at no added cost. Because once they have done that, they have limited their sales to the UK only. It costs money to bring a product to market, and investors would rather have a market of 500 million than 65 million. And you can't have the same production line alternating labels because of the rules of provenance. So all UK food products now produced will have to conform to EU standards- and it will be dynamic alignment. If the EU, for example, says egg products must be 60% eggs, then the UK must follow the EU ruling if they want to sell into the EU. If they later say it must be 70%, the UK must follow their rules.

3. Introducing a third labeling requirement, such as "Made in the UK", just adds further cost and headaches. And while the govt hopes it will placate the farmers in the short term, it will have no effect except to drive up inflation. If shoppers see a chicken weighing 1.9 kg (provenance unknown) at £4 in a supermarket alongside one of 1.2 kg at £6 (marked "Product of the UK") which one will they choose? It's a no brainer, which is why UK farmers are protesting at the moment. Cheap, inferior food products will bankrupt UK farmers- though it was considered as one of the benefits of Brexit in 2015.

(Just out of interest @MrsGently, which country are based in?)

Edited by pellinore

Oh, btw, @MrsGently I forgot to add the farmers most important objection to the proposed labels- they won't apply to completed food products, such as meals sold in cafes, restaurants, and ready meals in supermarkets-  so if someone buys a cheap chicken and mushroom pie or pork pie (no longer protected by the EU as "Melton Mowbray"), they won't know if the chicken or pig was ethically bred, or slaughtered in a factory in Argentina.

13 hours ago, MrsGently said:

Just don't read it. He is informing me very well with very relevant things that are happening on my favourite island.

What's your problem? Just needed an excuse to whine and insult and gaslight someone?

Not that your opinion makes a damned bit of difference to me, Ace, but you haven't been here long enough for that BS to be very old and tiring.  It has practically reached the level of psychosis or something.  P'raps the two of you can go in the chat room?  :w00t:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, pellinore said:

(Just out of interest @MrsGently, which country are based in?)

Earth. A wondering sword that likes to see the Nations United.... lol

currently Bavaria.

But thanks I didn't know the rules are that complicated. Maybe that was my problem, because I didn't have processed food in mind but the produce like tomatoes, eggs and such.

9 hours ago, MrsGently said:

currently Bavaria.

Are you German? I have spent some time on exercise in the Black Forest area (I know it isn't Bavaria). I was struck by how honest the locals were- you could drink all night and they would just make a mark on your beer mat as they served you and expect you to settle up at the end of the night, and there were cigarette dispensing machines standing alone on the streets. Try that in England and the machines would be gone, and so would the drinking customers!

It may have changed though. (Also, as a lark I once wound up an inn landlady about the Nazis- just as an experiment- she ended up shouting "Hitler was a good man!" I didn't disagree, he was kind to Blondi and married Eva in the end).

• Like 1

7 hours ago, pellinore said:

Are you German? I have spent some time on exercise in the Black Forest area (I know it isn't Bavaria). I was struck by how honest the locals were- you could drink all night and they would just make a mark on your beer mat as they served you and expect you to settle up at the end of the night, and there were cigarette dispensing machines standing alone on the streets. Try that in England and the machines would be gone, and so would the drinking customers!

It may have changed though. (Also, as a lark I once wound up an inn landlady about the Nazis- just as an experiment- she ended up shouting "Hitler was a good man!" I didn't disagree, he was kind to Blondi and married Eva in the end).

My grandparents were Nazis, but I also got ancestors who 'ended' in a KZ so I am super sensitive to Germans and history. Frankly I think it shouldn't have been allowed to continue after WWII. There were so many issues and still are you wouldn't believe it with the BND and other important organisations where Nazis were allowed to stay in rank. There are to this day 'summer camps' where certain families send their children to get indoctrinated in the ideology. I have (more or less distant) family from England to Poland, I am Europe lol.

I have met so many wonderful people in England. Extremely generous helpful smart people. I should have stayed. But at the moment it almost looks like a concentrated effort to destroy the UK from the inside. That's really making me sad.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, MrsGently said:

My grandparents were Nazis, but I also got ancestors who 'ended' in a KZ so I am super sensitive to Germans and history. Frankly I think it shouldn't have been allowed to continue after WWII. There were so many issues and still are you wouldn't believe it with the BND and other important organisations where Nazis were allowed to stay in rank. There are to this day 'summer camps' where certain families send their children to get indoctrinated in the ideology. I have (more or less distant) family from England to Poland, I am Europe lol.

I have met so many wonderful people in England. Extremely generous helpful smart people. I should have stayed. But at the moment it almost looks like a concentrated effort to destroy the UK from the inside. That's really making me sad.

On the important issues, Europe is united. Democracy, the rule of law and basic human rights- we are all on the same page. The UK will rejoin once the bigots have passed away in a decade or so.

• Like 1