Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Specialists


Abramelin

Recommended Posts

Hello Saru.

I have an idea: why don't you create a subforum called "The Specialists"?

There are many here. Woodworkers, stoneworkers, gardeners, geologists, geneticists, palaeontologists, herbologists, cooks, astronomers, and so on, and so on.

We can ask them questions related to their specialization, and refer to their answers in other threads.

Just an idea, Saru.

This site is great already.

👍

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 
Posted (edited)

Sounds like an Idea though I'd hardly call myself a specialist. I just read a lot and have superior google-fu, plus hand's-on experience in a few esoteric areas..

Edited by Oniomancer
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Oniomancer said:

Sounds like an Idea though I'd hardly call myself a specialist. I just read a lot and have superior google-fu, plus hand's-on experience in a few esoteric areas..

Then you are the google specialist.

I am too: I can find almost anything online. The trick is to use the right search terms.

Anyway, for me you're one of the specialists.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Great idea man,I remember me,piney,fess,and Michelle talking about starting up such a thread years back...I got busy,never started it so here we are 👍 🤣

  • Thanks 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

My idea was more construction and tool centered back then though...

Having trouble editing my posts with emojis in them, anyone else have this problem?

 

Edited by CrimsonKing
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not sure about this one - anyone who is knowledgeable on a particular subject would be better just participating in the existing relevant section(s).

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I agree with Saru. It would be too easy to take the 'specialist's' opinion as gospel. Of course some UM posters sound as if they have quite a bit of knowledge on a subject, but it's a bit of a leap from that to hailing them as 'experts'! It's never good when people are held as being beyond questioning.

IMO things are fine as they are :).

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Abramelin said:

@Swede @Piney@cormac mac airt@Oniomancer@DieChecker@Thanos5150@Hanslune @Doc Socks Junior

and @Alchopwn, what do you all think of this?

And my apologies to the many other specialists on UM of whom I did 't mention their name.

Well, my ego is stroked, certainly. But I'm just a baby geologist. I think it's also the case that the field in which I'm truly an 'expert' in is very narrow, even compared with geology in general. I am happy to provide my opinion in all areas of geology, of course, and it may even be worth slightly more than the average bear...

...if yeh trust any goldurn experts as far as yeh can spit!

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, ouija ouija said:

I agree with Saru. It would be too easy to take the 'specialist's' opinion as gospel. Of course some UM posters sound as if they have quite a bit of knowledge on a subject, but it's a bit of a leap from that to hailing them as 'experts'! It's never good when people are held as being beyond questioning.

IMO things are fine as they are :).

Hi Ouija

I think if it was an ask a question type thing and people who respond gave some credible links to material that helps someone then it could be a good thing as it wouldn't disrupt other threads. When I get asked about how much of this do I need or how long or what it should cost( it has both high and low) I refer them to a site that will tell them the cost, time and material break downs in your location as they want to do it themselves and gives them a fair idea what their budget should be.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 
19 hours ago, ouija ouija said:

I agree with Saru. It would be too easy to take the 'specialist's' opinion as gospel. Of course some UM posters sound as if they have quite a bit of knowledge on a subject, but it's a bit of a leap from that to hailing them as 'experts'! It's never good when people are held as being beyond questioning.

IMO things are fine as they are :).

I have been a member of this site for 19 years.

At some point you recognize pretenders and those that really know what they are talking about by the way and speed they answer questions.

--

I agree with you that this site is ok as it is.

I just thought a forum about specialists answering questions would be a great addition to the site.

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Abramelin said:

I have been a member of this site for 19 years.

At some point you recognize pretenders and those that really know what they are talking about by the way and speed they answer questions.

--

I agree with you that this site is ok as it is.

I just thought a forum about specialists answering questions would be a great addition to the site.

 

I agree,I've talked to a few BS artists on here, haven't met many that lasted very long...unless they started hiding out in the religious section where few dare to follow 🤣

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Saru said:

Not sure about this one - anyone who is knowledgeable on a particular subject would be better just participating in the existing relevant section(s).

Apparently this idea has shown up before (CrimsonKing).

I just thought it could be a popular addition to the UM site.

That's all.

👍

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Abramelin said:

Apparently this idea has shown up before (CrimsonKing).

I just thought it could be a popular addition to the UM site.

That's all.

👍

 

Nah man,I was just going to start up a thread,where people could talk about projects,tools,answer others questions if help was needed on a current project ect...

I actually like your idea,but suppose it may take up to much space...

have to give @Piney credit,that idea started when I saw his chainsaw carved masks!...then was politely told he doesn't make them anymore 😠 🤣

 👍

Edited by CrimsonKing
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/12/2024 at 4:56 PM, ouija ouija said:

I agree with Saru. It would be too easy to take the 'specialist's' opinion as gospel. Of course some UM posters sound as if they have quite a bit of knowledge on a subject, but it's a bit of a leap from that to hailing them as 'experts'! It's never good when people are held as being beyond questioning.

IMO things are fine as they are :).

...Experts say that 97% of ......

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.