Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Have you got ghosts in your house or in your apartment

dream jo

1 minute ago, papageorge1 said:

Open-minded skepticism is a good thing. I consider myself that. But the word skeptic has gotten morphed into meaning a determined nonbeliever in anything paranormal, a bad thing. 

I agree completely.

Just now, papageorge1 said:

Open-minded skepticism is a good thing. I consider myself that. But the word skeptic has gotten morphed into meaning a determined nonbeliever in anything paranormal, a bad thing. 

Precisely what I think too. What I said in some other threads where the UFO phenomenon is discussed is that a healthy degree of skepticism is required and anything beyond this becomes toxic or even denialism. Much of the online 'skepticism' is camouflaged denialism imo. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, papageorge1 said:

IMO, going by your posts in past 7 years- you're not an Open-minded skeptic, paps :no:

2 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

Also, I’d substitute the word “challenged” for either “discussion” or “debate”. Challenge has negative and antagonistic connotations right off the bat implying preconceived agendas. Don’t know about you but IMO it’s a fruitless exercise attempting to discuss something under those circumstances.  I think we agree that discussions concerning this subject can only be productive when there is only good faith on the part of all the participants.

I’m not here to waste my time arguing  with ideologues whose mindset is set in stone no matter what side of the discussion they’re coming from.  I’d much rather have conversations that are enjoyable and intellectually fulfilling. 

My point is, I agree with your sentiment.

7 minutes ago, Dejarma said:

IMO, going by your posts in past 7 years- you're not an Open-minded skeptic, paps :no:

Perhaps you are presenting the thoughts as a UM skeptic: But the word skeptic has gotten morphed into meaning a determined nonbeliever in anything paranormal, a bad thing. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Zetorian said:

Precisely what I think too. What I said in some other threads where the UFO phenomenon is discussed is that a healthy degree of skepticism is required and anything beyond this becomes toxic or even denialism. Much of the online 'skepticism' is camouflaged denialism imo. 

True. There’s also a lot of belief expressed as fact. A balance must be struck. Orthodox and fringe extremists alike are two sides of the same coin. Both rigidly dogmatic in their thinking. At the end of the day it’s not about choosing sides it’s about furthering knowledge. Or at least it should be.

Edited by Antigonos
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Antigonos said:

I agree completely.

Who is this new person using Antigonos' old name, lol?

• Haha 2

Eventually you're either looking for information that confirms your beliefs or dispels them. When it comes to ghost there are too many natural explanations than legit paranormal ones. 

I used to be a believer in the paranormal and supernatural. Did research, fell down a few rabbit hole, I don't believe in that stuff any longer. But if real evidence (not stories) is ever found I'll reconsider.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Eventually you're either looking for information that confirms your beliefs or dispels them. When it comes to ghost there are too many natural explanations than legit paranormal ones. 

I used to be a believer in the paranormal and supernatural. Did research, fell down a few rabbit hole, I don't believe in that stuff any longer. But if real evidence (not stories) is ever found I'll reconsider.

A great example of being logically skeptical while keeping an open mind for the future. This is the balance I referred to.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Zetorian said:

So if as you claim you’re actually interested in a discussion let’s talk about the questions I raised in my first response to your post addressed to me. You replied with a laugh emoji but with nothing of any actual substance. Why would a Victorian house (keep in mind the Victorian era spanned a period of roughly sixty years) be special in any way when the first reports of ghosts go back to Egypt and classical Greece? Is it merely because as I suggested the Victorian era saw the birth of the Spiritualist movement and is thus more firmly associated with the modern paranormal than any other? I could understand that if such was the case. There’s a certain romance attached to the time period especially when it comes to the paranormal. It evokes images of seances and physical mediumistic phenomena and saw the birth of ghost photography, including the practice of mortuary photography where live family members took photos of deceased loved ones who were positioned to appear as if they were alive.

All this creates a highly suggestive and romantic atmosphere for the era itself. That seems to be the only reason for your opinion but if there is another I’m all ears. I’m always up for furthering my knowledge by obtaining new information from others that I have never came across before. What specific cases that are known to have taken place in Victorian houses exhibit unique traits that leads you to your conclusion? 

Do you have something?

Edited by Antigonos
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 3/12/2024 at 11:00 PM, dream jo said:

Do you have ghosts in your house or in your apartment where you live I know I live everybody has got ghost because we live in Victorian houses

I live in a Victorian house, I like having ceilings over 9" high and not these modern "burrows", and not only do I live in a Victorian house, it's right next to a Victorian cemetery. I have a vivid imagination, and while I'm mostly left cold by "slasher movies", can scare myself to death reading the ghost stories of M.R. James, where he uses the power of suggestion rather than use a cheap literary equivalent of a jump scare. The house can creak, odd shadows can be cast in certain lighting conditions, but I've never seen a ghost, or even felt a cold chill not attributed to a window not fully closed, and neither have I ever felt a "presence", though god knows how many of the previous owners of the house have died here before modern times when we "have" to die in a hospital.

Even on a bright sunny day it is possible when looking out over the cemetery, or walking through it as I do every day, to imagine that you see something not right, a figure amongst the tombstones and you know it's not a dogwalker. The illusion of something "not right" is even stronger when the mornings and early evenings are dark in winter. It's possible to imagine all manner of ghosts and ghouls in such a place, but there's nothing there except trees, bushes and tombstones. Just as in my house, I've never once genuinely thought that I've seen or experienced anything that cannot be rationaly explained. I know that the odd figure in the gloom is just one of the weeping angels, or some other elaborate statue, decayed and part broken, not yet wrapped in hazard tape, or even pulled down for our "safety".

One part of me would like ghosts and other things of the night to be true, though if they were the world would be a frightening place, but I can walk through the cemetery at night, and sleep peacefully, knowing the only thing I have to fear is my own imagination, the fear of fear, as FDR put it.

Edited by Wepwawet
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Wepwawet said:

I live in a Victorian house, I like having ceilings over 9" high and not these modern "burrows", and not only do I live in a Victorian house, it's right next to a Victorian cemetery. I have a vivid imagination, and while I'm mostly left cold by "slasher movies", can scare myself to death reading the ghost stories of M.R. James, where he uses the power of suggestion rather than use a cheap literary equivalent of a jump scare. The house can creak, odd shadows can be cast in certain lighting conditions, but I've never seen a ghost, or even felt a cold chill not attributed to a window not fully closed, and neither have I ever felt a "presence", though god knows how many of the previous owners of the house have died here before modern times when we "have" to die in a hospital.

Even on a bright sunny day it is possible when looking out over the cemetery, or walking through it as I do every day, to imagine that you see something not right, a figure amongst the tombstones and you know it's not a dogwalker. The illusion of something "not right" is even stronger when the mornings and early evenings are dark in winter. It's possible to imagine all manner of ghosts and ghouls in such a place, but there's nothing there except trees, bushes and tombstones. Just as in my house, I've never once genuinely thought that I've seen or experienced anything that cannot be rationaly explained. I know that the odd figure in the gloom is just one of the weeping angels, or some other elaborate statue, decayed and part broken, not yet wrapped in hazard tape, or even pulled down for our "safety".

One part of me would like ghosts and other things of the night to be true, though if they were the world would be a frightening place, but I can walk through the cemetery at night, and sleep peacefully, knowing the only thing I have to fear is my own imagination, the fear of fear, as FDR put it.

I really envy you. I’d love to live in a Victorian house by a Victorian era cemetery!

I have a passion for Victorian literature. MR James is a favorite along with JS LeFanu

Edited by Antigonos
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Wepwawet said:

I could absolutely lose myself in the Victorian world. The atmosphere alone is enticing enough.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Antigonos said:

I really envy you. I’d love to live in a Victorian house by a Victorian era cemetery!

I have a passion for Victorian literature. MR James is a favorite along with JS LeFanu

Thank you. You may not like the bills for the upkeep of the place though...

Victoriana is a thing I'll admit, one of my favourite old TV shows is the adaptation of the Barchester Chronicles by Anthony Trollope, starring Donald Pleasance and Alan Rickman, what's not to like. On the other side of the coin I also like H.P. Lovecraft, who at least was born in the Victorian era, not everybodies cup of tea I know.

On topic, I hope, is this picture I took of the cemetery a few days ago, as spring has sprung. Not sure if any daytime spooks are to be seen.

20240318_091147[1].jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Wepwawet said:

Thank you. You may not like the bills for the upkeep of the place though...

Victoriana is a thing I'll admit, one of my favourite old TV shows is the adaptation of the Barchester Chronicles by Anthony Trollope, starring Donald Pleasance and Alan Rickman, what's not to like. On the other side of the coin I also like H.P. Lovecraft, who at least was born in the Victorian era, not everybodies cup of tea I know.

On topic, I hope, is this picture I took of the cemetery a few days ago, as spring has sprung. Not sure if any daytime spooks are to be seen.

20240318_091147[1].jpg

Yes it’s the main reason why I don’t buy a former rectory to live in, one of my lifelong dreams.

Lovecraft is another favorite author. I understand his attraction to the past on a personal level.

Yes! A lovely show. Some of my favorite TV programs are from the UK from the Masterpiece Theatre classics to Thriller to old Doctor Who to All Creatures Great and Small to favorite comedies like Fawlty Towers, Black Adder, Jeeves and Wooster, A Bit of Fry and Laurie… and some of my all time favorite actors are Peter Cushing,Christopher Lee, Patrick Magee, Diana Rigg, Patrick McGoohan, David Niven, Diana Rigg, Maggie Smith, Derek Jacobi…I’ve been an ardent Anglophile in every way since I was a child.  I love the history and culture of the British Isles. It’s my dream to someday move there. 

Nice to get to know you on a more personal level my friend.

Edited by Antigonos
  • Thanks 1

I think I have a ghost on my house i caught on cam It flew from the ceiling down and disappeared by the closet doors. I hear   noises and banging some times. I saw  the translucent human figure when I stop the video clip. 

IMG_0203.jpeg

IMG_0204.jpeg

IMG_0205.jpeg

IMG_0206.jpeg

IMG_0207.jpeg

IMG_0208.jpeg

2 hours ago, Legna zenitram said:

I saw  the translucent human figure when I stop the video clip. 

Love to see that!

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/12/2024 at 7:00 PM, dream jo said:

Do you have ghosts in your house or in your apartment where you live I know I live everybody has got ghost because we live in Victorian houses

No. Of course not ghosts do not exist expect in a true believers mind.

About five years ago we moved into this place that's well over a hundred years old the seller who did suffer from a serious head injury was positive that this place was haunted and she believed it before and even more after her injury, she was so scared of the place she lived in a next door garage camper style for years.

The realtor looked at me and my wife like she was looking at the comedy duo from portlandia when they do their goth couple skits,

She said while laughing the place is said to be haunted I straight faced replied, if it's not do I get a refund?

I wont list all the reasons she thought it haunted as it's a long list but a good 95% I debunked the first two weeks, one I really liked because it mixed spookies with crypto was her claims of demon vampire rats from the huge old church next door came in the night to chew off her toes, it got so bad she hap hazard staple gunned door screens over all floor vents and even sealing some doors closed.

There were at least a total of a hundred various traps from basement to attic, even her ex who denounced the place being haunted confirmed albeit vaguely her demon rat claims,

Problem is not a shread of physical evidence, not even tracks. Droppings, chew marks and of course no bodies, of all the neighbors i spoke to all agreed that she believed her tales but most wrote her off as looney,

• Like 1

Hi I'm new, nice to meet you all....

I used to live in a house where a former resident died from cancer and his son had been killed in a vehicle accident. Sometimes we could smell cigarette and cigar smoke. On one occasion I followed a cig smoke smell down the hallway, into the master bedroom, to the master bath and there it left through the window. Another time we had a smoke smell throughout the house, so strong we called the fire dpt. They could smell it as well but found nothing in the attic main floor or basement. There was no smoke smell outdoors. Sometimes there was a sense of someone sitting in the armchair reading the paper.  

On another day I came down the entrance hallway to find our cat staring at the door knob to the exit door. I watched the cat, cat looked at me then back to the door knob so I watched the door knob to see what was going on. The door knob was turning. I checked the window (which was pebbled for privacy) for shadows of someone lurking but there were none. It felt as if the door was opening (without opening). At this point the cat snarled and hissed, raising its hair and ran to hide in the basement. It seemed whoever came in also went to the basement.. So I assumed it was the son who'd been killed in the accident. 

This house was also used as a clinic and as hospital overflow way back in the day. I suppose it could have been anyone.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ziggilu said:

I used to live in a house where a former resident died from cancer and his son had been killed in a vehicle accident. Sometimes we could smell cigarette and cigar smoke. On one occasion I followed a cig smoke smell down the hallway, into the master bedroom, to the master bath and there it left through the window. Another time we had a smoke smell throughout the house, so strong we called the fire dpt. They could smell it as well but found nothing in the attic main floor or basement. There was no smoke smell outdoors.

Smoke has a problem with soaking into wood. When that wood heats up even slightly it releases the trapped smell. 

2 hours ago, XenoFish said:

Smoke has a problem with soaking into wood. When that wood heats up even slightly it releases the trapped smell. 

Not to the extent that you'd call the fire dept, and the firemen smelling it also. Not to mention that I'm pretty sure that firemen know what old smoke smells like. 

4 hours ago, ziggilu said:

Hi I'm new, nice to meet you all....

I used to live in a house where a former resident died from cancer and his son had been killed in a vehicle accident. Sometimes we could smell cigarette and cigar smoke. On one occasion I followed a cig smoke smell down the hallway, into the master bedroom, to the master bath and there it left through the window. Another time we had a smoke smell throughout the house, so strong we called the fire dpt. They could smell it as well but found nothing in the attic main floor or basement. There was no smoke smell outdoors. Sometimes there was a sense of someone sitting in the armchair reading the paper.  

On another day I came down the entrance hallway to find our cat staring at the door knob to the exit door. I watched the cat, cat looked at me then back to the door knob so I watched the door knob to see what was going on. The door knob was turning. I checked the window (which was pebbled for privacy) for shadows of someone lurking but there were none. It felt as if the door was opening (without opening). At this point the cat snarled and hissed, raising its hair and ran to hide in the basement. It seemed whoever came in also went to the basement.. So I assumed it was the son who'd been killed in the accident. 

This house was also used as a clinic and as hospital overflow way back in the day. I suppose it could have been anyone.

Welcome to the forum! Cool story.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hankenhunter said:

Not to the extent that you'd call the fire dept, and the firemen smelling it also. Not to mention that I'm pretty sure that firemen know what old smoke smells like. 

Depends on how heavy a smoker the person was. Had something similar happen with a secondhand couch I got. 

On 3/13/2024 at 9:00 AM, dream jo said:

So was that little picture supposed to be evidence of a ghost?  May I suggest that you put in a little effort, maybe starting with a couple of night vision surveillance cameras, to record some stuff?  They are not very expensive.  I've lived in creaky old houses before, and possums in Australia are cute but often noisy - I'm sure you have similar animals...

As for things turning up in odd places, yes, I've got one of those brains too...

• Like 1

On 3/24/2024 at 3:10 PM, papageorge1 said:

Not sure I would agree that you are open minded.

• Thanks 1