Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Have you got ghosts in your house or in your apartment

dream jo

Here's the only paranormal experience of my lifetime which happened years ago when I was young (er) and visited my parents with my girlfriend (now wife). They had just moved into a new rental house while they were renovating their house.  After a week or two things started happening.  Dadadada.

The first was a rotten smell at the front door which I put down as coming from somewhere else because after we entered the smell was gone.  Other occurences were a feeling that something was touching my hair while I was sitting on the lounge and nobody was at home except me and my dad who was somewhere else in the house, a cold breeze while walking down the hallway and there was no wind, aircon or anything to explain it, their dog all of a sudden started barking in the loungeroom at the corner of the ceiling with, obviously, nothing there, a corner of the eye shadow outside walking past the window and when I looked outside there was nobody walking past. 

Nothing thus far made me convinced of ghosts or the paranormal and I didn't even bother telling anyone....until my parents started telling their experiences.  My dad in the middle of the night woke up for some reason half asleep and saw my mother's gown, hanging on a hook on the bedroom door, coming towards him.  It woke him up completely and the gown was still hanging on the door.  The sidebed draw slamming and shaking several times during the middle of the night, many nights, never during the day.  Shadows moving in the dark in the middle of the night while walking down the hallway after going to the tolet.

I still laugh at this with my mrs and I'm still not convinced what to believe.  But it was exciting at the time and it was a time I used to visit them more often than not hoping for new thrills. :P  There probably were more but these are the ones I remember.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Black Red Devil said:

Here's the only paranormal experience of my lifetime which happened years ago when I was young (er) and visited my parents with my girlfriend (now wife). They had just moved into a new rental house while they were renovating their house.  After a week or two things started happening.  Dadadada.

The first was a rotten smell at the front door which I put down as coming from somewhere else because after we entered the smell was gone.  Other occurences were a feeling that something was touching my hair while I was sitting on the lounge and nobody was at home except me and my dad who was somewhere else in the house, a cold breeze while walking down the hallway and there was no wind, aircon or anything to explain it, their dog all of a sudden started barking in the loungeroom at the corner of the ceiling with, obviously, nothing there, a corner of the eye shadow outside walking past the window and when I looked outside there was nobody walking past. 

Nothing thus far made me convinced of ghosts or the paranormal and I didn't even bother telling anyone....until my parents started telling their experiences.  My dad in the middle of the night woke up for some reason half asleep and saw my mother's gown, hanging on a hook on the bedroom door, coming towards him.  It woke him up completely and the gown was still hanging on the door.  The sidebed draw slamming and shaking several times during the middle of the night, many nights, never during the day.  Shadows moving in the dark in the middle of the night while walking down the hallway after going to the tolet.

I still laugh at this with my mrs and I'm still not convinced what to believe.  But it was exciting at the time and it was a time I used to visit them more often than not hoping for new thrills. :P  There probably were more but these are the ones I remember.

Thanks for sharing as you know all that can be explained by very down to earth rational non paranormal things,

Of this alleged haunted house I live in ( that isn't ) one of my favs is when the smell of cedar would loft thru the air at random times, pretty mundane when I found the cause,

My wife still gets unnerved by the door rattle, when you walk in the front door to the left and right of the foryer are double sliding hide away doors that date back to the house being built well over 100 years ago since nothing is insulated when breeze to wind happens drafts end up anywhere, the sliding doors on the right will shake and rattle in a rather haunted way,pretty cool.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, the13bats said:

Thanks for sharing as you know all that can be explained by very down to earth rational non paranormal things,

Of this alleged haunted house I live in ( that isn't ) one of my favs is when the smell of cedar would loft thru the air at random times, pretty mundane when I found the cause,

My wife still gets unnerved by the door rattle, when you walk in the front door to the left and right of the foryer are double sliding hide away doors that date back to the house being built well over 100 years ago since nothing is insulated when breeze to wind happens drafts end up anywhere, the sliding doors on the right will shake and rattle in a rather haunted way,pretty cool.

Man, I'm the king of rationality.  ;)  But you've got to keep an open mind and sometimes some things don't appear to have a rational explanation.  Generally I don't believe anybody or anything easily and when I do it's only after I've asked myself a million questions.  I'm still not convinced there was a ghost because I never got that smoking gun evidence, which is the reason I kept going back to my parents place often.

But I also have to admit something was unusual.  I probably didn't do my experiences proper justice when I explained them in my previous post.  When I mention the smell at the front door, it only lasted maybe 5 seconds and it smelt like death, rotten meat.  Once I was inside the house I went out again, straight away, to investigate and the smell was instantly gone.  The cold breeze was like a swoosh of air, like walking in front of a fan although not as strong as the airflow from a fan.  The dog had the fur on it's back up on all four legs looking straight at a spot on the ceiling, barking at nothing, not even an insect or a noise.

Anyway, I've hardly ever spoken about this, probably because I never got that smoking gun evidence to win me over.  My parents were not easily fazed by things when they were alive but admitted something was weird, especially the bedside draw banging in the middle of the night.  I probably needed a full body apparition or the coffee table to start walking around the room or similar to be convinced.  :P

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Black Red Devil said:

Man, I'm the king of rationality.  ;)  But you've got to keep an open mind and sometimes some things don't appear to have a rational explanation.  Generally I don't believe anybody or anything easily and when I do it's only after I've asked myself a million questions.  I'm still not convinced there was a ghost because I never got that smoking gun evidence, which is the reason I kept going back to my parents place often.

But I also have to admit something was unusual.  I probably didn't do my experiences proper justice when I explained them in my previous post.  When I mention the smell at the front door, it only lasted maybe 5 seconds and it smelt like death, rotten meat.  Once I was inside the house I went out again, straight away, to investigate and the smell was instantly gone.  The cold breeze was like a swoosh of air, like walking in front of a fan although not as strong as the airflow from a fan.  The dog had the fur on it's back up on all four legs looking straight at a spot on the ceiling, barking at nothing, not even an insect or a noise.

Anyway, I've hardly ever spoken about this, probably because I never got that smoking gun evidence to win me over.  My parents were not easily fazed by things when they were alive but admitted something was weird, especially the bedside draw banging in the middle of the night.  I probably needed a full body apparition or the coffee table to start walking around the room or similar to be convinced.  :P

An open mind doesn't mean so credious ones brains fall out.

Ah, the smoking gun, that's just it now isn't it? When it comes to alleged ghosts, haunting, entities, etc we have are stories we have claims of experiences but we never not once have had that smoking gun,

I don't care about some believers who say their experiences were real and no smoking gun is needed that's just a stunning example of closed minded, biased in the box thinking because while paranormal has never once been proven every other possible example has been proven time and again.

A believer can make claims they have their smoking gun that's super they are living in a delusional fantasy land until they can show that smoking gun to others.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, the13bats said:

An open mind doesn't mean so credious ones brains fall out.

Ah, the smoking gun, that's just it now isn't it? When it comes to alleged ghosts, haunting, entities, etc we have are stories we have claims of experiences but we never not once have had that smoking gun,

I don't care about some believers who say their experiences were real and no smoking gun is needed that's just a stunning example of closed minded, biased in the box thinking because while paranormal has never once been proven every other possible example has been proven time and again.

A believer can make claims they have their smoking gun that's super they are living in a delusional fantasy land until they can show that smoking gun to others.

You sound really full on uppity about believers and non believers.  Relax mate, let people believe what they want to believe, what's it to you anyway, you're not going to change how people think, whether they believe or not in the supernatural? 

Sounds like you had a problem with me being open minded.  Well what's your description of someone with an open mind?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

On 5/8/2024 at 8:38 PM, Antigonos said:

The Warrens were predatory scumbags who deliberately targeted and took advantage of people’s grief and fragile emotional states for their own benefit.

Yeah, everything was demons with them.

When all ya got is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

• Thanks 3

3 hours ago, Black Red Devil said:

You sound really full on uppity about believers and non believers.  Relax mate, let people believe what they want to believe, what's it to you anyway, you're not going to change how people think, whether they believe or not in the supernatural? 

Sounds like you had a problem with me being open minded.  Well what's your description of someone with an open mind?

Good questions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)
On 6/12/2024 at 12:10 AM, Black Red Devil said:

Just going to rattle off my thought if that's okay.

The rotten smell may have been a nearby dead animal. If the house has a porch it could've there. If not, no idea.

Not quite sure what might have touched your hair. Could've been subconsciously induce, again, I don't know. 

The cool breeze might be due to a draft or opened window. Dog barking at the corner could've been a rodent in the ceiling. Corner of the eye shadow is possibly just a trick of the eye.

The night gown sound like a hypnagogic or hypnopompic event. As to the rest, I don't know. 

Edited by XenoFish
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, XenoFish said:

Just going to rattle off my thought if that's okay.

The rotten smell may have been a nearby dead animal. If the house has a porch it could've there. If not, no idea.

Not quite sure what might have touched your hair. Could've been subconsciously induce, again, I don't know. 

The cool breeze might be due to a draft or opened window. Dog barking at the corner could've been a rodent in the ceiling. Corner of the eye shadow is possibly just a trick of the eye.

The night gown sound like a hypnagogic or hypnopompic event. As to the rest, I don't know. 

Valid points.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/9/2024 at 8:15 AM, XenoFish said:

Despite all the evocations, none of my homes were haunted. I'm disappointed really.

But it doesn't work like that as you know, on your command. You can be lucky at times and get a glimpse of something paranormal but I really do think it's always on their terms, for what reason I can't figure out. I don't believe anywhere is haunted by anything, just emotions or feelings left behind by the living.

1 hour ago, the13bats said:

Did I say everyone was a con artist? No, do I think many like the warrens are? You bet.
Sure there is weird stuff and like your reply before this one there are many times explanations, and unexplained is just that.

You are very incorrect in your flamming rant that if $atan popped up and slapped me then vanished that I wouldn't believe I just got smacked but I wouldnt knee jerk to $atan is an entity that decided after decades of never showing himself would pick me to do so on so yep I would investigate what appeared to happen.
And I see you are still upset you don't have special powers like conjuring the dead.

Now do we feel better?

What are you even doing wasting your time discussing the paranormal in a place called Unexplained Mysteries? How boring, just debunking everything by default surely can't be that much fun.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Black Red Devil said:

Valid points.

I tend to have two mental folders. The first is debunkables and the second is "that's weird". 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, openozy said:

But it doesn't work like that as you know, on your command. You can be lucky at times and get a glimpse of something paranormal but I really do think it's always on their terms, for what reason I can't figure out. I don't believe anywhere is haunted by anything, just emotions or feelings left behind by the living.

People haunt themselves. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

I tend to have two mental folders. The first is debunkables and the second is "that's weird". 

Mine are rational and irrational.  There is a grey area in between the two which I classify as "further analysis required".

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Black Red Devil said:

I can't believe I posted something similar to what you wrote.  I must be degenerating. :P

Not really. I think the same. If I offer an explanation I'm typically done in a thread. Sometimes discussions are nice.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Black Red Devil said:

Mine are rational and irrational.  There is a grey area in between the two which I classify as "further analysis required".

I like that.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, GlitterRose said:

When all ya got is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

I like that 👍

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, XenoFish said:

People haunt themselves. 

Sometimes.

8 hours ago, openozy said:

Sometimes.

Debatable, but past a certain point it doesn't matter.

• Like 2

On 5/8/2024 at 11:38 PM, Antigonos said:

The Warrens were predatory scumbags who deliberately targeted and took advantage of people’s grief and fragile emotional states for their own benefit.

Yeah, everything was demons with them.

Those people nauseated me. Think of how many people with mental health issues they ****ed up worse. 

There is a show coming out about those 2 dirt bags and how they preyed on children with mental health issues. I'll dig up the title.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

ive seen a few shadow people and a woman with a white gown in my house

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Piney said:

Those people nauseated me. Think of how many people with mental health issues they ****ed up worse. 

There is a show coming out about those 2 dirt bags and how they preyed on children with mental health issues. I'll dig up the title.

I don't like these type of people mainly because they are giving fake info on the paranormal and profiting from it. Picking on sick kids is the icing on their filthy cake. They have done nothing but messed up something that has been experienced by a big % of the population and made a mockery of it. They are hated by paranormal enthusiasts and skeptics alike and so they should be.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/14/2024 at 5:48 AM, Piney said:

That's just it, you know I think 100%  of psychics are full of bull and the top two things people seek them for is love or a deceased loved one so they ching giving sad bodies what they want to hear,

Imagine you are a child ( or adult ) with mental health issues and many times such a person doesn't know or can't accept they do have these issues along come bottom feeders like the warrens and these poor ill people think ghosts are after them and have people telling them yep spookies are your problem.

Ugh.

• Thanks 1