Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Trump wanted to ban the TikTok long time ago

docyabut2

Uhh... And now he doesn't. What's your point?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

The platform is owned by a Chinese company (ByteDance) headquarters in Beijing. 

• Like 2

Honestly if anyone looks at the Chinese creators version of TikTok and what is allowed on it in China...

Kinda paints a picture of one trying to degrade another's society,kind of a mass brainwashing experiment by a foreign foe.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, CrimsonKing said:

Honestly if anyone looks at the Chinese creators version of TikTok and what is allowed on it in China...

Kinda paints a picture of one trying to degrade another's society,kind of a mass brainwashing experiment by a foreign foe.

I think the issue isn't how it degrades the mental capacity of it's users or it's affect on society.  The issue (I believe) is that the end user agreement you pretty much agree to give them access to every bit of data across devices and platforms.  Who reads those agreements, right?  

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, OverSword said:

I think the issue isn't how it degrades the mental capacity of it's users or it's affect on society.  The issue (I believe) is that the end user agreement you pretty much agree to give them access to every bit of data across devices and platforms.  Who reads those agreements, right?  

True as well...

Have you seen these hysterical idiots acting like the Government is talking about banning food and water?

Oh yes,social media in general is having a mass effect on today's youth,hell even many millennial adults!...one word "influencer"

Chinese TikTok looks like a modern day 1950's America,damn near every American influencer on Chinese created TikTok would be imprisoned and shamed or worse in China.

• Like 2

Is it just TikTok or is it  all social media that provides a vehicle for influence and exploitation?  The internet has tens of thousands of sites providing totally false information.  The major service providers strip every user of any bit of information they can sell. Six months ago weren't we arguing for how important a public square was in which people could say anything they want  and how awful censorship was? Elon and Twitter were all about that uncensored free expression of ideas.

We can go after Tik Tok because its just a bunch of kids that will object.  What happens when a foreign nation or private entity supports one political party over the other? Will we pursue that with the same zeal?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

What happens when a foreign nation or private entity supports one political party over the other? Will we pursue that with the same zeal?

Legacy media has been doing this for decades influencing voters.  They've held a monopoly on all information factual or fabricated. Social media is a threat to their whole existence in influencing voters. 

Edited by acidhead
  • Like 1

Just now, acidhead said:

Legacy media has been doing this for decades influencing voters.  They've held a monopoly on all information factual or fabricated. Social media is a threat to their whole existence in influencing voters. 

Even government secrets leaks to legacy media gets a free pass. When government secrets are leaked through private websites unaffiliated with legacy media or social media these people are sought out and deemed criminals. Look at Assange and Snowden. 

So, what i read was this affects the APP STORE. And not much else. I guess I'll go read the actual bill.

Otherwise cant people, even on their phone, just type Tiktok into Google and go there? And it supposedly would not allow download of the App, but what about people who already have it installed? No change?

Feels like a "Watch me do something" kinda thing. I think people who agree to let China own their information, deserve for China to own their data. Buyer beware. 

I suppose the nanny state has to do something for all the people who are simply just ignorant and assume only white people are evil, and only old white males misuse peoples data.

On 3/14/2024 at 12:07 PM, DieChecker said:

So, what i read was this affects the APP STORE. And not much else. I guess I'll go read the actual bill.

Otherwise cant people, even on their phone, just type Tiktok into Google and go there? And it supposedly would not allow download of the App, but what about people who already have it installed? No change?

Feels like a "Watch me do something" kinda thing. I think people who agree to let China own their information, deserve for China to own their data. Buyer beware. 

I suppose the nanny state has to do something for all the people who are simply just ignorant and assume only white people are evil, and only old white males misuse peoples data.

If TikTok can track voice prints would you let a phone with it installed into your home?

• Like 1

Tell me you're a boomer without telling me you're a boomer....

Trump wanted to ban THE TikTok long time ago

• Haha 6

7 hours ago, Golden Duck said:

If TikTok can track voice prints would you let a phone with it installed into your home?

Hi Golden

I live alone and don't talk to myself out loud so let them listen. Lol

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
On 3/15/2024 at 2:10 AM, Golden Duck said:

Im not getting your point? Do you mean if China was listening to my exteemely boring life, would i care?

Not really, I guess. Oh, I'd care that it's China overstepping as a matter of international relations, but as a private individual, i just dont care.

Its like keeping all the window blinds shut so the neighbors cant see in, right? Because what you're doing is so private...

I live in a house with 9 other people. Six of them are kids. I have no secrets, and they dont have any either.

Shades of those saying after 9-11 that the Patriot Act would destroy personal privacy.

I still feel like i did above. If I've ticked a box giving permission to China to listen 24-7-365 to me on my phone, then thats on me.

Edited by DieChecker
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DieChecker said:

Im not getting your point? Do you mean if China was listening to my exteemely boring life, would i care?

Not really, I guess. Oh, I'd care that it's China overstepping as a matter of international relations, but as a private individual, i just dont care.

Its like keeping all the window blinds shut so the neighbors cant see in, right? Because what you're doing is so private...

I live in a house with 9 other people. Six of them are kids. I have no secrets, and they dont have any either.

Shades of those saying after 9-11 that the Patriot Act would destroy personal privacy.

I still feel like i did above. If I've ticked a box giving permission to China to listen 24-7-365 to me on my phone, then thats on me.

What if those other people were employees?

15 hours ago, Golden Duck said:

What if those other people were employees?

Then, if it was a business phone, the business IT is the ones who are responsible, as they're the one setting limitations on user accounts. A business that buys phones that are vulnerable deserves what they buy.

• Confused 1

16 hours ago, DieChecker said:

Then, if it was a business phone, the business IT is the ones who are responsible, as they're the one setting limitations on user accounts. A business that buys phones that are vulnerable deserves what they buy.

You'd let a monitoring device enter your establishment if it is not owned by you?

The US already has sanctions on Huawei.  This is not surprising.

• Like 1

I would not and have not touched TIK TOC since it started.  I remember they started by having sexy videos of 10 to 12 year old little girls.  It was disgusting but apparently it worked.

• Sad 1