Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Man who lived for over 70 years inside an iron lung has died, aged 78

UM-Bot

1 hour ago, UM-Bot said:

Paul Alexander was forced to live almost his entire life inside the metal capsule after contracting polio as a young child.

https://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/375170/man-who-lived-for-over-70-years-inside-an-iron-lung-has-died-aged-78

Poor man. I know he achieved a lot, but he also lost a lot. I wonder who paid for his lifetime of care?

34 minutes ago, pellinore said:

Poor man. I know he achieved a lot, but he also lost a lot. I wonder who paid for his lifetime of care?

I suspect you did, indirectly.

• Like 1

He was a remarkable man in more ways than one. RIP now you are finally free.

• Like 4

I went to school with two kids who contracted polio, both about the age of this guy when he contracted it. Both were lucky, crutches and leg braces for the rest of their lives. One mom who got it as an adult got confined to a wheelchair afterwards. Then along came vaccines. We thought they were a pretty good deal, didn't even question our freedom when they became a requirement to attend public school. Times have changed.
  • Like 6

Posted (edited)

My mom had polio as a young girl…an experienced old country dr. wrapped her legs with wet cloths ..as hot of water as she could stand….let them soak and then manually straightened her still youngish and somewhat pliable bones!!   He kept at it for hours and hours I guess,,, anyway, somehow, he saved her legs.  She walked normally. 

Edited by lightly
  • Like 4

Posted (edited)

Natural immunity could have saved him the trouble.

Edited by Shooter McGavin
  • Confused 3

The polio vaccine went through a lot more time in testing than the Covid vaccine, and actually prevents the disease.

70 years wow!

• Like 2

There was a girl in my school who'd had polio, she had one leg shorter than the other and wore a heavy looking black boot with a deep raised sole on the shorter leg to compensate. That leg was also thinner than the other. She got around very well considering and always looked cheerful. 

• Like 2