Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Denmark to start conscripting women for military service

Still Waters

Denmark has announced plans to extend military conscription to women for the first time and increase the standard service time.

It also wants to boost its defence budget by nearly $6bn (£4.6bn) in the next five years to meet Nato targets.

"We do not rearm because we want war. We are rearming because we want to avoid it," said PM Mette Frederiksen.

Tensions in Europe have spiked since Russia's full-scale invasion of Ukraine in February 2022.

Unveiling the reforms on Wednesday, Ms Frederiksen said the government was seeking to achieve "full equality between the sexes".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-68557038

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

I commend European nations being wary of war on their continent again.  Full equality between the sexes?  Alrighty then.

• Like 1

Too right. That's why ladies got the vote on the UK, because they were in the armed forces. It was nothing to do with equality and all about who got to vote when war arrives. As women started serving in the army, they needed the option to vote.

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, OpenMindedSceptic said:

Too right. That's why ladies got the vote on the UK, because they were in the armed forces. It was nothing to do with equality and all about who got to vote when war arrives. As women started serving in the army, they needed the option to vote.

What does this mean? Vote on what?

• Confused 1

On 3/15/2024 at 11:18 AM, OpenMindedSceptic said:

I see you are confused by my confusion. Are you suggesting female emancipation depended on military service? Because that is a new idea.

5 minutes ago, pellinore said:

I see you are confused by my confusion. Are you suggesting female emancipation depended on military service? Because that is a new idea.

What do you think the vote was about in the UK? Equality? 

Posted (edited)
56 minutes ago, OpenMindedSceptic said:

What do you think the vote was about in the UK? Equality? 

The suffragettes and suffragists fought the establishment/government for the right to vote. Military service had nothing to do with it, except perhaps allowed women to demonstrate they could do the jobs the men ordinarily did in peacetime.

Edited by pellinore

17 hours ago, pellinore said:

The suffragettes and suffragists fought the establishment/government for the right to vote. Military service had nothing to do with it, except perhaps allowed women to demonstrate they could do the jobs the men ordinarily did in peacetime.

Women serving in the military had everything to do with it. That's why they got the vote, sue to women serving. These fanciful rear view notions of equality just don't grasp the reality at the time. 

Posted (edited)

There will be war soon enough, little Napolean Macron  thinks he can save the world.

Women are just as capable as men.

Edited by A rather obscure Bassoon