Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Workers discover three human skulls while laying foundation for new home

only three? psshhh.. I have more than that on my bookshelf. 

@Piney

Did they build over a Lenape burial ground? 

Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, Antigonos said:

@Piney

Did they build over a Lenape burial ground? 

The Unami didn't have burial grounds. Your bones either went into a ossuary mound or buried with other family under the wigwam during the Feast of the Dead.

Unami Lenape farmette sites were "burial grounds" because of this.

It also could be settlers, slaves or a serial killer as suggested. I wouldn't know unless I saw the layout of the bones and the teeth.

I once recorded most of the lost private colonial and 19th century cemeteries in Gloucester County and I'm surprised construction doesn't hit more of them in New Jersey.

The Wood family, The Quakers who owns Wawa and one of the last primeval forests in the Northeast have 3 of them in the Woodbury area alone.

One that washed away during a flood. One is on a marsh about a mile away and one under the Crown Point Rd. Wawa parking lot (ironic eh?) 

Then my farm in Upper Deerfield had a plot where all the stones were stolen and there was about 4 little family plots on the surrounding farms. 

Edited by Piney
brain fart
  • Thanks 3

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Piney said:

The Unami didn't have burial grounds. Your bones either went into a ossuary mound or buried with other family under the wigwam during the Feast of the Dead.

Unami Lenape farmette sites were "burial grounds" because of this.

It also could be settlers, slaves or a serial killer as suggested. I wouldn't know unless I saw the layout of the bones and the teeth.

I once recorded most of the lost private colonial and 19th century cemeteries in Gloucester County and I'm surprised construction doesn't hit more of them in New Jersey.

The Wood family, The Quakers who owns Wawa and one of the last primeval forests in the Northeast have 3 of them in the Woodbury area alone.

One that washed away during a flood. One is on a marsh about a mile away and one under the Crown Point Rd. Wawa parking lot (ironic eh?) 

Then my farm in Upper Deerfield had a plot where all the stones were stolen and there was about 4 little family plots on the surrounding farms. 

I love lost and forgotten history. I bet researching those vanished cemeteries was fascinating. Do you have any sources on those you could recommend?

Edited by Antigonos
Misspelled one word godammit
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Antigonos said:

I love lost and forgotten history. I bet researching those vanished cemeteries was fascinating. Do you have any sources on those you could recommend?

Old farm surveys and deeds. Stories from the elderly. The family plot was always included in the survey or deed.

• Like 1

Could be an old family plot.. There is a little family plot behind the old Starlight Drive in in my town. There are several others around here too.  Driving Altwein Road  in the country there is a little family plot.  These family plots are scattered all over the place and not just in New Jersey. . Years ago my dad and I drove this road, can't think of the name out by Spring Branch  found one  that sits by the road side  way above the town.  Then  if you go the old Spring Branch road there's one we found >The area was supposed to be a housing develpement, but only a few homes were built. I hope they give them a proper burial.

• Like 1