Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Washington Supreme Court rules prospective lawyers no longer have to pass 'racist' bar exam

OverSword

On Monday, the left-leaning Washington Supreme Court filed a pair of orders approving “alternative pathways” for people to become lawyers, nixing the requirement to pass the universal bar exam. The court claimed the test “blocks marginalized groups from entering the practice of law” and that bar has “racism and classism written into the test itself.” 

By doing so, the Evergreen State joined Oregon, the only other state to officially approve alternatives to the bar exam. 

The Bar Licensure Task Force, chaired by Washington Supreme Court Justice Raquel Montoya-Lewis and Seattle University Law School Dean Anthony Varona, studied options to the traditional bar exam following a year of pandemic-related bar exam modifications. 

The Task Force concluded in their analysis that the traditional bar exam “disproportionately and unnecessarily blocks marginalized groups from entering the practice of law, and the traditional bar exam is at best minimally effective for ensuring competent lawyers.”   

Link

Prediction: This will result in many malpractice suits against (so called) lawyers.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Link

Prediction: This will result in many malpractice suits against (so called) lawyers.

What the hell is going on in this country?!

How's is dumbing down society "progress"?

• Like 6

1 hour ago, CrimsonKing said:

What the hell is going on in this country?!

How's is dumbing down society "progress"?

When selecting a lawyer can one  require one that has passed the bar? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WVK said:

When selecting a lawyer can one  require one that has passed the bar? 

That would probably classify as racist somehow,I guess,not really sure.

I see in my post you quoted autocorrect is also dumbing down society 😆

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, CrimsonKing said:

That would probably classify as racist somehow,I guess,not really sure.

I see in my post you quoted autocorrect is also dumbing down society 😆

Haven’t many medical schools dropped the MCAT requirement. Getting an incompetent lawyer is one thing, getting an incompetent doctor is another

• Like 1

I can see both sides...  

Most professional licensing is really more about protecting the profession by constraining supply.  Everyone from barbers to Doctors use licensing to keep out competition.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Edumakated said:

I can see both sides...  

Most professional licensing is really more about protecting the profession by constraining supply.  Everyone from barbers to Doctors use licensing to keep out competition.

The only thing I learned in insurance school was how to pass the licensing test.  The information in the class is mainly about selling Individual life insurance policies which is straight out of yesteryear for most agents.  All practical knowledge about the industry is learned on the job.  But if you're not smart enough to pass the test you probably shouldn't be in the industry.

• Like 1