Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

New Havana Syndrome study raises more questions than answers

I thought it was just infrasound?

1 hour ago, Alchopwn said:

I thought it was just infrasound?

I thought it was just nervous breakdown. The symptoms are very similar to hypochondriasis, which usually comes with (sometimes covert) depression, OCD and a history of gastrointestinal problems. And the worst thing is that SNRIs don't cure it but only pushing it deeper inside the brain. Being just a human, not to say a diplomat in today's world is a hard thing for human nerves. Our nervous system is a very complex thing, its high-level (CNS) and low-level (PNS) parts so intricately interconnected that no one knows for sure how and why it is able to affect functions of virtually any organ in the body. The only solution I've found yet, which is not ideal but at least working in the long term, is learning self-control, meditations, mental yoga, self-analysis, self-acceptance, distancing oneself from any things that provoke any kind of strong emotions, nervous work, innervating people and, most of all, any emotionally-rich information, no matter if it's negative or positive.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Chaldon said:

The only solution I've found yet, which is not ideal but at least working in the long term, is learning self-control, meditations, mental yoga, self-analysis, self-acceptance, distancing oneself from any things that provoke any kind of strong emotions, nervous work, innervating people and, most of all, any emotionally-rich information, no matter if it's negative or positive.

Also, lollipops.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Voodoo,  clearly ...

It is a fad, in the same way youth identify as being ‘x’.  Government employees are as susceptible to these things as anyone else if the term and symptoms are bandied about in the manner that they have.

“Me? Yep, I was with the Diplomatic Corps and I got Havana Syndrome” - is there compensation for that…?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Cho Jinn said:

Also, lollipops.

Absolutely. Best combined with an interesting hobby.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Chaldon said:

I thought it was just nervous breakdown. The symptoms are very similar to hypochondriasis, which usually comes with (sometimes covert) depression, OCD and a history of gastrointestinal problems. And the worst thing is that SNRIs don't cure it but only pushing it deeper inside the brain. Being just a human, not to say a diplomat in today's world is a hard thing for human nerves. Our nervous system is a very complex thing, its high-level (CNS) and low-level (PNS) parts so intricately interconnected that no one knows for sure how and why it is able to affect functions of virtually any organ in the body. The only solution I've found yet, which is not ideal but at least working in the long term, is learning self-control, meditations, mental yoga, self-analysis, self-acceptance, distancing oneself from any things that provoke any kind of strong emotions, nervous work, innervating people and, most of all, any emotionally-rich information, no matter if it's negative or positive.

My parents were both in the US Department of Foreign Affairs.  They never worked in Havana however.  If they were ever unduly stressed, they seldom if ever showed it.  Regardless, I think Havana Syndrome is something else.  I suspect that the US Cuban Embassy staff were subjected to an eavesdropping device that emitted infrasound.  Idk if the new study is just reinventing the wheel, but I am pretty sure this was confirmed in previous studies.  Infrasound has been linked to "sick building syndrome" which is consistent with the symptoms afaik.

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Alchopwn said:

My parents were both in the US Department of Foreign Affairs.  They never worked in Havana however.  If they were ever unduly stressed, they seldom if ever showed it.  Regardless, I think Havana Syndrome is something else.  I suspect that the US Cuban Embassy staff were subjected to an eavesdropping device that emitted infrasound.  Idk if the new study is just reinventing the wheel, but I am pretty sure this was confirmed in previous studies.  Infrasound has been linked to "sick building syndrome" which is consistent with the symptoms afaik.

Absolutely possible. Our ears are deeply hardwired into the brain without any intermediates, that's why music instantly affects us so deeply on so many levels, from deeply physiological (e.g. goose bumps and sweating) to the most intellectual. There are closed feedback loops in the brain structures so they can possibly be excited in response to certain resonant frequencies (see Neural Oscillation) coming directly from the auditory system. Some of these loops have the ability to cause larger waves of neural excitement to form which propagate over vast areas of CNS and reaching into PNS. So who knows?

Edited by Chaldon
  • Thanks 2

20 hours ago, Chaldon said:

Absolutely possible. Our ears are deeply hardwired into the brain without any intermediates, that's why music instantly affects us so deeply on so many levels, from deeply physiological (e.g. goose bumps and sweating) to the most intellectual. There are closed feedback loops in the brain structures so they can possibly be excited in response to certain resonant frequencies (see Neural Oscillation) coming directly from the auditory system. Some of these loops have the ability to cause larger waves of neural excitement to form which propagate over vast areas of CNS and reaching into PNS. So who knows?

Thanks for showing interest Chaldon.  It may interest you to know that experts have linked the somewhat cliche phenomenon of "All of a sudden the forest was completely silent" to large predators emitting infrasound.  It has been noted before big cat attacks especially.  It is worth noting that people who have had brushes with BF have also had the forest go quiet prior.  Others have had strange and dramatic experiences of out of place sounds like a semi-trailer engine brake and an air horn going off, but 30 miles from any road, and in a remote and narrow ravine with a stream at the bottom.  Then there is the infrasound link to ghost sightings, but it actually turned out that the infrasound was making people hallucinate.  Apparently vibrating pipes in old buildings can make people see things.  That may account for some BF sightings too, potentially.  It is all a bit amazing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Chaldon said:

I haven't been able to listen to music since my wife died in December. But it apparently gives me a stronger emotional response because of my autism. So I'm told.

• Like 3

I am so sorry for your loss Piney. I lost my oldest son's father. I know it isn't easy.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

On 3/22/2024 at 10:49 AM, Alchopwn said:

Thanks for showing interest Chaldon.  It may interest you to know that experts have linked the somewhat cliche phenomenon of "All of a sudden the forest was completely silent" to large predators emitting infrasound.  It has been noted before big cat attacks especially.  It is worth noting that people who have had brushes with BF have also had the forest go quiet prior.  Others have had strange and dramatic experiences of out of place sounds like a semi-trailer engine brake and an air horn going off, but 30 miles from any road, and in a remote and narrow ravine with a stream at the bottom.  Then there is the infrasound link to ghost sightings, but it actually turned out that the infrasound was making people hallucinate.  Apparently vibrating pipes in old buildings can make people see things.  That may account for some BF sightings too, potentially.  It is all a bit amazing.

It's been my experience that it's the animals themselves that make the woods go quiet. Animals learn the distress and warning sounds of other animals and when one sounds an alarm they all go quiet. Having spent a good part of my leisure time in the woods it always goes quiet when I enter and a little later the sound picks back up. It even happens when I step out my backdoor and all the birds suddenly go silent. But I'm also rural and I don't expect the same behavior of the animals in the city.

Yet it still gets my attention when the sounds stop. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
On 3/20/2024 at 3:15 PM, Chaldon said:

We don't know this. Why would the U.S. hire multiple diplomats w hypochondriasis? Who excessively worry about fake illnesses. I'm not sold it was some panic attack or nervous breakdown. More likely an ultrasound attack or something similar to what SWAT teams use to disperse crowds. Some of the diplomats had inner ear damage. Which probably has nothing to do w self control, yoga or meditation. Plus, I don't think ear damage is common symptom of hypochondriasis. 

Wikipedia (Havana Syndrome) lists of a couple different possibilities. One being, poisonous gas or fumes. Except it was only the diplomats who got sick, not the hotel staff or other guests. That's shady.

Edited by Bed of chaos
  • Thanks 1

On 3/24/2024 at 2:46 AM, Buzz_Light_Year said:

It's been my experience that it's the animals themselves that make the woods go quiet. Animals learn the distress and warning sounds of other animals and when one sounds an alarm they all go quiet. Having spent a good part of my leisure time in the woods it always goes quiet when I enter and a little later the sound picks back up. It even happens when I step out my backdoor and all the birds suddenly go silent. But I'm also rural and I don't expect the same behavior of the animals in the city.

Yet it still gets my attention when the sounds stop. 

Aha 😀 I also noticed that back when I was a teenager: if you sit quietly in the woods for a while then all kinds of birds and little animals begin shuttling around while at first none can be seen.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/23/2024 at 3:32 PM, WitchHearse said:

I am so sorry for your loss Piney. I lost my oldest son's father. I know it isn't easy.

Thank you.

• Like 1