Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

RFK Jr. has testy interview with NYT: ‘An instrument of the Democratic Party’

OverSword

13 hours ago, Agent0range said:

Less than 20 years ago, I had no idea if my friends were Democrat or Republican.  I didn't know who someone voted for, I didn't care.  I still keep my opinions close to heart.  People I engage with on a daily basis feel comfortable saying the N word like it's nothing in conversation, because they think I feel the same way they do based off of where I live.  It's not a good time in America...

The only time I ever hear that is either young black dudes or crazy drug addled people yelling at the sky.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, psyche101 said:

Kennedy should be in mental health care. Yet people talk about them as if they are brilliant people who should be considered saints. 

Who?  I haven't heard people praising him or saying they would vote for him.  The dems are really worried his name will take away votes from biden so the media is painting a picture of a big threat to get their voters as motivated as possible to get to the polls but I really don't think so.

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 1

On 3/25/2024 at 10:14 PM, DayoOlabisi said:

very much so. reinforced via the party primary system and lack of ranked choice options.

We have a two party system but it doesn't polarise people to that extent. The part major election saw both parties drop seats and have independents a voice. 

It's hard to fathom an entire nation engaged in political warfare but I suppose it's a conclusion that fits the landscape 

On 3/26/2024 at 1:16 AM, OverSword said:

Who?  I haven't heard people praising him or saying they would vote for him.  The dems are really worried his name will take away votes from biden so the media is painting a picture of a big threat to get their voters as motivated as possible to get to the polls but I really don't think so.

He is leading independents by a long shot isn't he? 

And why would democrats be concerned if he is no threat? 

I think Republicans should be more concerned than democrats. He's a full on conspiracy theorist which is something that seems to be attractive to conservatives. They love the anti vax stupid and swallow up Trump's lies like cookies. They seem more likely to gravitate that way. 

Well I hope your right. Kennedy getting any attention is hard to understand at all. 

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, psyche101 said:

We have a two party system but it doesn't polarise people to that extent. The part major election saw both parties drop seats and have independents a voice. 

It's hard to fathom an entire nation engaged in political warfare but I suppose it's a conclusion that fits the landscape 

right. the polarization is only one state of having a two party system. its level ebbs and flows due to other factors (corruption, social revolutions, war, economy and other issues). but the two party system is generally enforced by plurality elections with single winners. the two party system forms and consolidates and when it does, choice is more often limited. look at the democrat party in 2008, 2016, 2020 and 2024. in 2008 the establishment tended toward hillary clinton over obama via their "super-delegates". obama proved to be enough of a force to overcome that and take over the party. skip forward to 2016 and the party rigged the outcome for hillary (with the obama faction support) over bernie sanders. they formed behind joe biden in 2020 in an oddly, openly coordinated way that had little to do with voter preference at the time. in 2024 they rigged things even more via rules about delegates in states holding primaries and/or major campaigning before the south carolina primary. the democrat party owns so much of the establishment that they can get away with it. biden has terrible approval and yet the party has determined he is the only major party alternative to trump. meanwhile trump broke the republican party in 2016. still they have the same tendencies but their control is less concentrated currently.

so we have an environment that tends toward a two-party system and that gives those parties monopolistic control. they can force candidates they want and disqualify those that they don't (except for outlier candidates like obama and trump). then you have the tribal component. when there are two perspectives, politically, there become two perspectives within media and news reporting etc. when there is someone to blame it becomes obvious that it is 'the other side'. we can all agree that we want to get rid of corrupt politicians. but neither side is willing to be first and give the other side the advantage, holding their own party candidates to account while the other side does not. the two sides begin to fear the other side more than they like their own side. in 2016 trump won mainly because people hated hillary. the reason biden is president right now is because they viewed biden as the safe choice to beat the hated trump. in 2024 the biggest threat to biden is the fear of what four more years of his presidency (with kamala as VP) might bring. none of these people are popular. yet one of them was going to be president no matter what. conversely, past candidates like ron paul and bernie sanders etc. have been more liked (less disliked) but had no chance of winning their parties' primaries because of internal politics (they were both really independents operating within a party). candidates like ross perot, ralph nader and rfk jr. were more well-liked but given little chance without backing of a major party. so people often end up voting en masse for their second least favorite candidate (or some similar ranking).

i view defeating the two party duopoly as the first (but not only) step in improving this.

Edited by DayoOlabisi
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, psyche101 said:

He is leading independents by a long shot isn't he? 

And why would democrats be concerned if he is no threat? 

I think Republicans should be more concerned than democrats. He's a full on conspiracy theorist which is something that seems to be attractive to conservatives. They love the anti vax stupid and swallow up Trump's lies like cookies. They seem more likely to gravitate that way. 

Well I hope your right. Kennedy getting any attention is hard to understand at all. 

I can't name another independent so fair statement.

The democrats are concerned because trump has enough support that anything peeled away from biden puts his campaign at risk

All the conspiracy theorist types already love trump and Kennedy is a Kennedy ie. democrat by name

That last I agreed with until I read about his choice of running mate.  She is big into Green energy, climate issues, IT, AI and other tech concerns.  She can probably speak with more knowledge on this stuff than anyone else running and is under 40.  Could attract a youth sector normally dominated by democrats.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OverSword said:

I can't name another independent so fair statement.

The democrats are concerned because trump has enough support that anything peeled away from biden puts his campaign at risk

All the conspiracy theorist types already love trump and Kennedy is a Kennedy ie. democrat by name

That last I agreed with until I read about his choice of running mate.  She is big into Green energy, climate issues, IT, AI and other tech concerns.  She can probably speak with more knowledge on this stuff than anyone else running and is under 40.  Could attract a youth sector normally dominated by democrats.

my theory is that Shanahan was selected in large part to siphon more from Biden than Trump. all others linked to RFK earlier likely would've pulled more from Trump than Biden (Gabbard, Ventura, Rodgers, Paul) and overall i think the campaign sees Biden voters as less committed than Trump voters at this point.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Deleted

Edited by psyche101