Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Woke people are more unhappy in life than conservatives, study finds.


itsnotoutthere

Recommended Posts

"Woke" people are more likely to suffer from anxiety and depression than their conservative colleagues, a team of psychologists has found.

Researchers from the University of Turku in Finland had led a study into people's commitment to 'social justice' via a survey which judged respondents against a set of "woke" tests.

The study's author, Oskari Lahtinen, a senior researcher at the University of Turku's Invest Research Flagship Centre, noted a study to "assess the extent and prevalence of these attitudes in different populations" had never been done before.

The results of the research - which gave respondents "CSJAS scores" - revealed several surprising links between political leanings and mental well-being, as well as a string of other factors which may contribute to someone's "wokeness".

Having high scores, the study found, "was linked to anxiety, depression, and a lack of happiness" - though not as strongly as being left-wing.

The research paper said a "lower level of mental well-being was mostly associated with being on the political left and not specifically with having a high CSJAS score", and pointed out that this was a link that other studies have highlighted before.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/health/mindandbody/woke-people-are-more-unhappy-in-life-than-conservatives-study-finds/ar-BB1klluw?ocid=BingHp01&cvid=a0eeab1cc2494f1e9c46b42c1dd3fddb&ei=7

😆

  • Like 1
  • Haha 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, itsnotoutthere said:

"Woke" people are more likely to suffer from anxiety and depression than their conservative colleagues, a team of psychologists has found.

 


That's obvious!

If you're concerned about others  being mistreated or discriminated against, and see that going on all around you, then obviously you'll be less content than those who don't give a toss about other people.

If you're concerned about climate change and the ways it's impacting on people's lives and increasing food prices, then you're not going to quite as happy as someone who thinks it's all a hoax and since God said we can do whatever we want then we jolly well can do whatever we want and damned the consequences.

If you like helping those less fortunate than yourself, you'll never be quite as happy seeing poor folk suffer as a sociopath will.

Edited by Essan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Essan said:


That's obvious!

If you're concerned about others  being mistreated or discriminated against, and see that going on all around you, then obviously you'll be less content than those who don't give a toss about other people.

If you're concerned about climate change and the ways it's impacting on people's lives and increasing food prices, then you're not going to quite as happy as someone who thinks it's all a hoax and since God said we can do whatever we want then we jolly well can do whatever we want and damned the consequences.

If you like helping those less fortunate than yourself, you'll never be quite as happy seeing poor folk suffer as a sociopath will.

By 'helping others' do you mean like posting a rainbow flag on your Facebook page?

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, itsnotoutthere said:

"Woke" people are more likely to suffer from anxiety and depression than their conservative colleagues, a team of psychologists has found.

Researchers from the University of Turku in Finland had led a study into people's commitment to 'social justice' via a survey which judged respondents against a set of "woke" tests.

The study's author, Oskari Lahtinen, a senior researcher at the University of Turku's Invest Research Flagship Centre, noted a study to "assess the extent and prevalence of these attitudes in different populations" had never been done before.

The results of the research - which gave respondents "CSJAS scores" - revealed several surprising links between political leanings and mental well-being, as well as a string of other factors which may contribute to someone's "wokeness".

Having high scores, the study found, "was linked to anxiety, depression, and a lack of happiness" - though not as strongly as being left-wing.

The research paper said a "lower level of mental well-being was mostly associated with being on the political left and not specifically with having a high CSJAS score", and pointed out that this was a link that other studies have highlighted before.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/health/mindandbody/woke-people-are-more-unhappy-in-life-than-conservatives-study-finds/ar-BB1klluw?ocid=BingHp01&cvid=a0eeab1cc2494f1e9c46b42c1dd3fddb&ei=7

😆

I suspect its not that they are any more likely to have had it bad in life.

Its that these people have next to no self management skills when it comes to their emotions.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, Essan said:


That's obvious!

If you're concerned about others  being mistreated or discriminated against, and see that going on all around you, then obviously you'll be less content than those who don't give a toss about other people.

If you're concerned about climate change and the ways it's impacting on people's lives and increasing food prices, then you're not going to quite as happy as someone who thinks it's all a hoax and since God said we can do whatever we want then we jolly well can do whatever we want and damned the consequences.

If you like helping those less fortunate than yourself, you'll never be quite as happy seeing poor folk suffer as a sociopath will.

Spot on, Essan! It seems a pointless bit of research: they found that people who care about other people and the environment were less contented than people who don't care about either.

Though a lot of genuine research is conducted to confirm (or not confirm) what we accept as "common sense".

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, pellinore said:

Spot on, Essan! It seems a pointless bit of research: they found that people who care about other people and the environment were less contented than people who don't care about either.

Though a lot of genuine research is conducted to confirm (or not confirm) what we accept as "common sense".

I also think its common that people who cannot manage their emotions like to believe that others without that problem are psychopaths. Well no, its that they have borderline.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Duke Wellington said:

I suspect its not that they are any more likely to have had it bad in life.

Its that these people have next to no self management skills when it comes to their emotions.

A study conducted a while back concluded that conservatism can be explained psychologically as a set of neuroses rooted in "fear and aggression, dogmatism and the intolerance of ambiguity". Is it possible that conservatives also have no self-management skills when it comes to their emotions?

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/12784934/

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We use the uncomplimentary term "Gammon" to describe white, elderly, Little Englanders whose faces turn puce when expressing their views on 'foreigners'- a symptom of unregulated anger and fear.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Psychotherapy for a fee for all Wook and unhappy people:

 

You are nuts. Now be happy that you are nuts.

 

Please pay my due fee in euro's.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

A study conducted a while back concluded that conservatism can be explained psychologically as a set of neuroses rooted in "fear and aggression, dogmatism and the intolerance of ambiguity". Is it possible that conservatives also have no self-management skills when it comes to their emotions?

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/12784934/

After engaging in self reflection then my conservative values are actually driven by disgust of the corrupt, immoral, and weak.

Over 100 years corruption, immorality, and weakness, has gradually crept into western society and the woke movement is its pinnacle.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm offended by this thread... now who pays my compensation? Ah woke ideology. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, itsnotoutthere said:

"Woke" people are more likely to suffer from anxiety and depression than their conservative colleagues, a team of psychologists has found.

Researchers from the University of Turku in Finland had led a study into people's commitment to 'social justice' via a survey which judged respondents against a set of "woke" tests.

The study's author, Oskari Lahtinen, a senior researcher at the University of Turku's Invest Research Flagship Centre, noted a study to "assess the extent and prevalence of these attitudes in different populations" had never been done before.

The results of the research - which gave respondents "CSJAS scores" - revealed several surprising links between political leanings and mental well-being, as well as a string of other factors which may contribute to someone's "wokeness".

Having high scores, the study found, "was linked to anxiety, depression, and a lack of happiness" - though not as strongly as being left-wing.

The research paper said a "lower level of mental well-being was mostly associated with being on the political left and not specifically with having a high CSJAS score", and pointed out that this was a link that other studies have highlighted before.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/health/mindandbody/woke-people-are-more-unhappy-in-life-than-conservatives-study-finds/ar-BB1klluw?ocid=BingHp01&cvid=a0eeab1cc2494f1e9c46b42c1dd3fddb&ei=7

😆

Like that isn't already obvious or even a thing since "Woke" means what ever you want it to and lately so does "conservative"

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Duke Wellington said:

After engaging in self reflection then my conservative values are actually driven by disgust of the corrupt, immoral, and weak.

Over 100 years corruption, immorality, and weakness, has gradually crept into western society and the woke movement is its pinnacle.

Hmm, interesting. That same study by the way, also linked Hitler, Mussolini, Ronald Reagan and Rush Limbaugh, arguing they all suffered from the same affliction because all of them "preached a return to an idealized past and condoned inequality". The authors of the study also stated that the telltale signs are a preference for moral certainty, and a frequently expressed dislike of nuance. Specifically: "This intolerance of ambiguity can lead people to cling to the familiar, to arrive at premature conclusions, and to impose simplistic cliches and stereotypes."

Could that perhaps be what's really ailing you?

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, OpenMindedSceptic said:

I'm offended by this thread... now who pays my compensation? Ah woke ideology. 

Your sarcasm is noted, but the fact of the matter is that this discussion was quickly turned into a battlefield whereupon the intent was to portray the woke in an unfavourable light, whilst at the same time, basking in a delusional sense of superiority.

So yes, this topic thread is indeed offensive and any reasonable person would tell you as much.

 

  • Like 6
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

Hmm, interesting. That same study by the way, also linked Hitler, Mussolini, Ronald Reagan and Rush Limbaugh, arguing they all suffered from the same affliction because all of them "preached a return to an idealized past and condoned inequality". The authors of the study also stated that the telltale signs are a preference for moral certainty, and a frequently expressed dislike of nuance. Specifically: "This intolerance of ambiguity can lead people to cling to the familiar, to arrive at premature conclusions, and to impose simplistic cliches and stereotypes."

Could that perhaps be what's really ailing you?

Hitler was a socialist on the far left, and as for myself I was very precise over what motivates my conservatism.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Duke Wellington said:

Hitler was a socialist on the far left, and as for myself I was very precise over what motivates my conservatism.

The Nazis fought and feared Communism and "international Jewry". They only called themselves the 'National Socialist German Workers' Party' to con the gullible.

Edited by pellinore
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Duke Wellington said:

After engaging in self reflection then my conservative values are actually driven by disgust of the corrupt, immoral, and weak.

Funny. Some of my values are driven by the same feelings and you characterise me as far left.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, pellinore said:

The Nazis fought and feared Communism and "international Jewry". They only called themselves the 'National Socialist German Workers' Party' to con the gullible.

It was the Germans take on socialist vs Bolshevist socialism combined with blaming Jews for their defeat in WW1.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Duke Wellington said:

Hitler was a socialist on the far left, and as for myself I was very precise over what motivates my conservatism.

National Socialism is a far-right totalitarian sociopolitical ideology.

Nazism is a form of fascism (a far-right, authoritarian, ultra-nationalist ideology).

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks, that explains it.  I wondered why I sometimes felt so moved by starving humans and mistreated dogs that I was spurred to help another being.  Just a burden we woke have to bear.

But tell me, is it better to be God's Home Room Monitor, the angry, victimized, perpetually  fearful and outraged Children of the Caron?

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

National Socialism is a far-right totalitarian sociopolitical ideology.

Nazism is a form of fascism (a far-right, authoritarian, ultra-nationalist ideology).

How exactly do you even get a far-right totalitarian state, the terms aren`t even remotely compatible with each other.

`Was Hitler a socialist` is all you need to type into your search bar. 

Left and right designate the degree to which a society is controlled and by how many. The further to the right the more free and more people making the decisions. You need to learn the correct terminology not the revision of present day politics where everything imperialistic, expansionist, xenophobic, etc, gets the label far right.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Duke Wellington said:

How exactly do you even get a far-right totalitarian state, the terms aren`t even remotely compatible with each other.

`Was Hitler a socialist` is all you need to type into your search bar. 

Left and right designate the degree to which a society is controlled and by how many. The further to the right the more free and more people making the decisions. You need to learn the correct terminology not the revision of present day politics where everything imperialistic, expansionist, xenophobic, etc, gets the label far right.

Translation: I make up my own definitions to make myself feel better.

Surprisingly a very woke approach 

Edited by Setton
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Duke Wellington said:

How exactly do you even get a far-right totalitarian state, the terms aren`t even remotely compatible with each other.

`Was Hitler a socialist` is all you need to type into your search bar. 

Left and right designate the degree to which a society is controlled and by how many. The further to the right the more free and more people making the decisions. You need to learn the correct terminology not the revision of present day politics where everything imperialistic, expansionist, xenophobic, etc, gets the label far right.

It's obvious that the conflation of Nazism and socialism has to do with the term 'National Socialism'. The meaning of the word 'socialism' in that context is not what you think it is. Hitler was not a socialist. He and the Nazis not only outlawed socialism, they executed socialists before they even went after the Jews.

Members of the right who like to equate Nazism, socialism and the left wing are the true revisionists here. Whether you care to admit it or not, Nazism is a right wing ideology. It is racist, anti-socialist, and it targets the political left for extermination.

As for your statement claiming that the more right leaning a nation is, the more free it is — does criminalizing abortion, criminalizing protests, censoring how public schools can talk about things like race, gender and sexual orientation, banning books, and retrenching LGBTQ rights, smack of being more 'free' to you?

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

As for your statement claiming that the more right leaning a nation is, the more free it is — does criminalizing abortion, criminalizing protests, censoring how public schools can talk about things like race, gender and sexual orientation, banning books, and retrenching LGBTQ rights, smack of being more 'free' to you?

No, and that`s why the correct definition of Hitler and Co was far left.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Duke Wellington said:

No, and that`s why the correct definition of Hitler and Co was far left.

You're right in stating the examples I presented above are not policies a government keen on establishing a freer society would make. Would it surprise you then, to learn that those are American right leaning conservative policies?

Are you in the UK? If so, given how much it differs from the US, perhaps you can provide some examples to support your statement about the left and right "designate the degree to which a society is controlled and by how many" and how the "further to the right the more free and more people making the decisions."

As for 'Hitler and Co', I think it would be advisable to move away from them and their policies as they are irrelevant to this discussion. In no way should they be equated to any political party/movement in the US, UK or elsewhere for that matter. I would also suggest you do some research as they were not far-left, they were far-right.

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • The topic was locked
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.