Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Proof that wind and solar are disasters

docyabut2

22 hours ago, OpenMindedSceptic said:

As for human induced climate change, purrrlease!!! No. Nonsense. I've been waiting for sea levels to rise for about 30 years. Nothing has changed. We were told.a 1.5C change would heat the oceans. This year the sea of the Netherlands is about 3.5C warmer than usual and still no sea level rise, no change in weather....

I've been measuring climate change for the past 23 years.  Stillwater, Oklahoma is a full degree Fahrenheit warmer than when I moved here.  We also get about a half inch more precip than we did in 2001.  Post oak chronologies show two sharp increases in precip since 1350.  The last one ended about 1910.  Since then, post oaks show no major changes when averaged statewide - local changes, but not statewide ones.  Climate change is real - all you have to do is open your eyes when you go outside.

That 1.5C increase in temps over pre-industrial times has not yet happened.  You're making up stuff.  We expect to reach it during the 2030s.  Even then, you will not notice any sudden changes.  Most warming is occurring at night while you're asleep and during the winter when you don't go outside.  1.5C is merely a way-point.  If we don't hit it, we're not likely to head off climate disaster.

What happens to sea temps in the Netherlands doesn't affect melting of ice in the Antarctic.  Antarctic, and to a lesser extent, Greenland ice has to melt to raise sea levels.  Besides, you wouldn't notice a 0.2-meter per century rise in sea levels.  In order to notice/measure changes in climate indices, you need good records.  Human memory is not up to the job.

India and China are adding wind power as fast as they can build it.  China has the world's largest workforce dedicated to halting climate change.  What do you think the Three Gorges Dam is - a wading pool for ducks?  It's a way to generate clean electricity.  Both countries still do not have electricity everywhere.  They're where the United States was in 1930.  Most of their new production is going to supply power to places that don't have it yet.  When that is complete, they can afford to start shutting down coal plants.  China shut down its last coal-fired railroad about two years ago.  We're still running four or five coal-fired trains.  The Central Pacific scored a hit with railfans about a year ago when Engine 1401 (the last remaining Big Boy) pulled a freight train for the first time in 82 years.

You've been reading too much right-wing clap trap.  Be sure to get the facts before you start making a fool of yourself.

Doug

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 3/26/2024 at 12:06 PM, aquatus1 said:

They are all but useless for major energy users, like industry.

We have about ten industrial users in Oklahoma who generate their own wind power.  These are single rotors.  If they can't generate enough from wind, they buy more from the grid.

Doug

You have ten major energy users in Oklahoma who use majority wind power?  Can you drop some names so I can read up them?

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Doug1066 said:

I've been measuring climate change for the past 23 years.  Stillwater, Oklahoma is a full degree Fahrenheit warmer than when I moved here.  We also get about a half inch more precip than we did in 2001.  Post oak chronologies show two sharp increases in precip since 1350.  The last one ended about 1910.  Since then, post oaks show no major changes when averaged statewide - local changes, but not statewide ones.  Climate change is real - all you have to do is open your eyes when you go outside.

That 1.5C increase in temps over pre-industrial times has not yet happened.  You're making up stuff.  We expect to reach it during the 2030s.  Even then, you will not notice any sudden changes.  Most warming is occurring at night while you're asleep and during the winter when you don't go outside.  1.5C is merely a way-point.  If we don't hit it, we're not likely to head off climate disaster.

What happens to sea temps in the Netherlands doesn't affect melting of ice in the Antarctic.  Antarctic, and to a lesser extent, Greenland ice has to melt to raise sea levels.  Besides, you wouldn't notice a 0.2-meter per century rise in sea levels.  In order to notice/measure changes in climate indices, you need good records.  Human memory is not up to the job.

India and China are adding wind power as fast as they can build it.  China has the world's largest workforce dedicated to halting climate change.  What do you think the Three Gorges Dam is - a wading pool for ducks?  It's a way to generate clean electricity.  Both countries still do not have electricity everywhere.  They're where the United States was in 1930.  Most of their new production is going to supply power to places that don't have it yet.  When that is complete, they can afford to start shutting down coal plants.  China shut down its last coal-fired railroad about two years ago.  We're still running four or five coal-fired trains.  The Central Pacific scored a hit with railfans about a year ago when Engine 1401 (the last remaining Big Boy) pulled a freight train for the first time in 82 years.

You've been reading too much right-wing clap trap.  Be sure to get the facts before you start making a fool of yourself.

Doug

I am just wondering how many years need to pass before human induced climate change nonsensical banter finally stops. 2030? 2040? 

• Like 1

Well, we are already well into it and dealing with the effects, so I suspect that in 2030-2040, you are going to be like those creationist who think scientists argue about whether evolution is real, instead of realizing they have been left behind long ago.

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, OpenMindedSceptic said:

I am just wondering how many years need to pass before human induced climate change nonsensical banter finally stops. 2030? 2040? 

It's only nonsense to you because you don't understand the science.  I suggest you do some serious reading.

We are already seeing climate change.  The Polar Vortex has established a new winter home over Greenland.  This forces storms approaching from the northwest to divert southward, bringing cold weather to the northern US.

We are already losing fruit crops to it.  We have now had several years of all-time record fires.  Including several that have burned in multiple years.

We have a major cold snap on the southern Great Plains, now about every ten years.  When that happens, Texas' power grid fails and the Texas governor tries to blame his administrative failure on windmills.  I guess you could say that deniers' counter-claims are a function of climate change.  Texas lost a calf crop about five years ago.  Beef prices were still up from that when last year's heat wave hit, doing futher damage to the range industry.

Like I said, open your eyes when you go outside.  Climate change is right there in front of you.

I would be happy to engage you in a serious discussion of climate change.  Where do you think the mistakes in the science are?

Doug

Edited by Doug1066
  • Like 5

Let's leave that to its own thread, though.  This one is about renewable energy.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Doug1066 said:

It's only nonsense to you because you don't understand the science.  I suggest you do some serious reading.

We are already seeing climate change.  The Polar Vortex has established a new winter home over Greenland.  This forces storms approaching from the northwest to divert southward, bringing cold weather to the northern US.

We are already losing fruit crops to it.  We have now had several years of all-time record fires.  Including several that have burned in multiple years.

We have a major cold snap on the southern Great Plains, now about every ten years.  When that happens, Texas' power grid fails and the Texas governor tries to blame his administrative failure on windmills.  I guess you could say that deniers' counter-claims are a function of climate change.  Texas lost a calf crop about five years ago.  Beef prices were still up from that when last year's heat wave hit, doing futher damage to the range industry.

Like I said, open your eyes when you go outside.  Climate change is right there in front of you.

I would be happy to engage you in a serious discussion of climate change.  Where do you think the mistakes in the science are?

Doug

Weird stuff that you've mentioned has always happened. 

I've seen snow in June in UK, this time last year it was 22 degrees. Suddenly now it's all down to catastrophic climate change which is lucrative for funding in you're a scientist.

My question remains, how many years before all this nonsense stops? 

It's a difficult lie for governments to get out of without egg on their faces and worse for scientists.

• Confused 1

On 3/27/2024 at 9:38 PM, OpenMindedSceptic said:

I've been waiting for sea levels to rise for about 30 years. Nothing has changed. We were told.a 1.5C change would heat the oceans

I do not remember the detail or even the programme (perhaps it was BBC World News), but it was about modern sea-level rise and the effect on islanders in the Pacific Ocean. A man, possibly from Tuvalu, was standing in the sea up to his knees, his trousers rolled up to just above the water-line, and he was pointing at the ground beneath the waves and speaking. The subtitles read: ‘this is my ancestral land. My father and my grandfather lived here, but there is nothing of it left for me.’ That image and his words have stayed with me.

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, OpenMindedSceptic said:

I've seen snow in June in UK, this time last year it was 22 degrees. Suddenly now it's all down to catastrophic climate change which is lucrative for funding in you're a scientist.

It's a difficult lie for governments to get out of without egg on their faces and worse for scientists.

You sound like the sort of guy who, if he'd been warned that he should get off the road because an out of control lorry was hurtling towards him, would be stood there saying "where" right up to the moment of impact (obviously those telling him to move were just doing it for the money).

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Abramelin said:

I do not remember the detail or even the programme (perhaps it was BBC World News), but it was about modern sea-level rise and the effect on islanders in the Pacific Ocean. A man, possibly from Tuvalu, was standing in the sea up to his knees, his trousers rolled up to just above the water-line, and he was pointing at the ground beneath the waves and speaking. The subtitles read: ‘this is my ancestral land. My father and my grandfather lived here, but there is nothing of it left for me.’ That image and his words have stayed with me.

Utter nonsense. This never happened.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

58 minutes ago, Essan said:

You sound like the sort of guy who, if he'd been warned that he should get off the road because an out of control lorry was hurtling towards him, would be stood there saying "where" right up to the moment of impact (obviously those telling him to move were just doing it for the money).

Well, you sound like the kind of guy that gets told the sky is falling  down and buys a crash helmet so not really sure what your point is. 

14 minutes ago, OpenMindedSceptic said:

Where's this BBC link you mentioned?  Never happened.

This is what I said:

I do not remember the detail or even the programme (perhaps it was BBC World News), but it was about modern sea-level rise and the effect on islanders in the Pacific Ocean. A man, possibly from Tuvalu,

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, OpenMindedSceptic said:

Well, you sound like the kind of guy that gets told the sky is falling  down and buys a crash helmet so not really sure what your point is. 

I'm the guy who when scientists predict A, B and C will happen and A, B and C do happen, think "oh yeah, looks like those scientists were right all along.  Why are people still refusing to listen to them?"

(I'm also the guy who has been doing a round up of global weather news stories on his blog site, several times a week, for the past 15 years)

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Essan said:

I'm the guy who when scientists predict A, B and C will happen and A, B and C do happen, think "oh yeah, looks like those scientists were right all along.  Why are people still refusing to listen to them?"

(I'm also the guy who has been doing a round up of global weather news stories on his blog site, several times a week, for the past 15 years)

So all anecdotal and subjective. Wow. Forgive me not taking this seriously. How did the science prediction go for the other stuff like ozone hole getting bigger? Acid rain killing sea life? No snow in the UK starting about a decade ago? Oh, I guess you mran different scientists? Right... lol

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OpenMindedSceptic said:

So all anecdotal and subjective. Wow. Forgive me not taking this seriously. How did the science prediction go for the other stuff like ozone hole getting bigger? Acid rain killing sea life? No snow in the UK starting about a decade ago? Oh, I guess you mran different scientists? Right... lol

The ozone hole has reduced due to efforts to reduce it. 

Acid rain is no longer an issue due to efforts to reduce it

Just had another totally snow free winter here in England.  Proper snowfall had become a rare event. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/30/2024 at 4:42 AM, OpenMindedSceptic said:

Utter nonsense. This never happened.

hey septic... what are you doing outside your tank?

Back inside with you.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

On 3/30/2024 at 4:56 AM, OpenMindedSceptic said:

First, let's start a new thread for climate change/solar power/wind power, etc.  Aquatus 1 doesn't think clean energy is related to climate change.

You're right that climate is always changing.  That stuff I mentioned IS climate change.

Like I said, if you don't keep good records, you'll never know it's happening.  We haven't hit a tipping point yet.

When will this nonsense stop?  Probably when we hit a tipping point.  The most-likely one will be the melt-off of the Arctic Ocean about the end of this century.

Doug

• Like 1

On 3/27/2024 at 10:37 AM, aquatus1 said:

Simply put, solid state will beat moving parts everytime in maintenance and longevity of use.

It all comes down to dollars.  If windmills are cheaper to build and operate, they will win.  If solar is cheaper, it will win.

Solar arrays still have to be kept free of dust, an ongoing process.

Doug

• Like 1

On 3/30/2024 at 12:03 PM, OpenMindedSceptic said:

How did the science prediction go for the other stuff like ozone hole getting bigger?

We fixed the ozone hole.  International treaties banned the use of CFCs.  You don't hear about it because it isn't a problem any more and you weren't keeping up with developments.

Doug

• Like 5

On 3/30/2024 at 2:24 PM, Essan said:

Acid rain killing sea life?

Acid rain is a problem in fresh-water lakes, not the sea.  The sea has plenty of salt to buffer the reactions so no problem.  In fresh-water lakes the acid builds up, killing fish and other living things.  It's mostly not a problem now because much less high-sulfur coal is being burned for power and metal extraction plants such as those around Kellogg, Idaho have mostly shut down or cleaned up their acts.  The Black Forest is recovering as are the northern Rockies.  Another success story.

Doug

• Like 3

On 3/30/2024 at 12:03 PM, OpenMindedSceptic said:

No snow?  I never saw that in a scientific publication.  Would you mind posting a reference?

Seriously, though.  You shouldn't take an offhand remark made in a pub as science.

Doug

• Like 2

On 3/28/2024 at 3:37 PM, aquatus1 said:

You have ten major energy users in Oklahoma who use majority wind power?  Can you drop some names so I can read up them?

High Plains Technology Center - 1 turbine

Northern Power Systems, Guthrie - 1 turbine

Bluestem - I'm uncertain how many turbines they have.

Frontier I - I'm uncertain how many turbines they have.

I said we have over 30 wind farms.  It's 58 wind farms.  I also described Wind Catcher as the largest wind farm in the US.  It won't be.  Plans to bring it to full size have been scrapped after local landowner NIMBY lawsuits.

Traverse Wind Farm just came on line two weeks ago (356 rotors).

25 Mile Creek Wind Farm (Enel Green) just came on line (60 turbines).

Plains and Eastern Clean Line is shut down.  Construction west of I-35 has been halted for several years.  Word is that landowner lawsuits in Arkansas have stalled construction.

Doug

• Like 1