Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Signs of life detectable in single ice grain emitted from extraterrestrial moons [updated]

Waspie_Dwarf

Signs of life detectable in single ice grain emitted from extraterrestrial moons

The ice-encrusted oceans of some of the moons orbiting Saturn and Jupiter are leading candidates in the search for extraterrestrial life. A new lab-based study led by the University of Washington in Seattle and the Freie Universität Berlin shows that individual ice grains ejected from these planetary bodies may contain enough material for instruments headed there in the fall to detect signs of life, if such life exists.

“For the first time we have shown that even a tiny fraction of cellular material could be identified by a mass spectrometer onboard a spacecraft,” said lead author Fabian Klenner, a UW postdoctoral researcher in Earth and space sciences. “Our results give us more confidence that using upcoming instruments, we will be able to detect lifeforms similar to those on Earth, which we increasingly believe could be present on ocean-bearing moons.”

Read More: ➡️ University of Washington

Related stories:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Waspie_Dwarf said:

Signs of life detectable in single ice grain emitted from extraterrestrial moons

Related stories:

I truly believe first extraterrestrial life we discover will come from one of those moon!!!!:yes:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Grim Reaper 6 said:

I truly believe first extraterrestrial life we discover will come from one of those moon!!!!:yes:

Maybe, but in science, belief is totally irrelevant, evidence is everything and we have no evidence of life yet.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Waspie_Dwarf said:

Related stories:

It may be a long shot. I'm thinking any life would be down deep near volcanic vents, or fumarols. Who knows though because of the huge tidal forces at play.

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Hankenhunter said:

It may be a long shot. I'm thinking any life would be down deep near volcanic vents, or fumarols. Who knows though because of the huge tidal forces at play.

I totally agree the tidal forces at work on Jupiter's Moon is literally able crack the surface ice. It could also be responsible for Volcanic activity due tectonic plates shifting. :yes:

• Like 2

• The title was changed to Signs of life detectable in single ice grain emitted from extraterrestrial moons [updated]

If life exists on Jupiter’s moon Europa, scientists might soon be able to detect it

Europa is one of the largest of more than 90 moons in orbit around the planet Jupiter. It is also one of the best places to look for alien life.

Often termed an “ocean world” by scientists, observations to date strongly suggest that beneath Europa’s icy crust, there could be a liquid saltwater ocean containing twice as much water as Earth’s oceans. Now, Nasa’s Europa Clipper – the largest spacecraft ever developed by the US space agency for a planetary mission – may have the tools to detect it.

Read More: ➡️ The Conversation

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 3/23/2024 at 2:39 AM, Waspie_Dwarf said:

Maybe, but in science, belief is totally irrelevant, evidence is everything and we have no evidence of life yet.

It's not about belief, it's about hope.

Edited to add:

I've said it before: I really hope I'm still alive when scientists discover signs of life on another world.

And Europa seems to be one of the main candidates to harbor life, in whatever form.

Edited by Abramelin
  • Like 2

On 4/10/2024 at 6:45 PM, Abramelin said:

It's not about belief, it's about hope.

Where science is concerned hope is just irrelevant than belief. Whether there is life in Europa or not is a matter of fact, albeit fact that we haven't determined yet. No amount of hope or belief will change that fact.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Waspie_Dwarf said:

Where science is concerned hope is just irrelevant than belief. Whether there is life in Europa or not is a matter of fact, albeit fact that we haven't determined yet. No amount of hope or belief will change that fact.

Thank you!  :sk

22 hours ago, Waspie_Dwarf said:

Hope will keep us searching.