Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The psychological difference between cat owners and dogs owners


Abramelin

Recommended Posts

The age-old debate of cat versus dog has been around for centuries, but have you ever considered the psychological differences between those who prefer one pet over the other? While it may seem like a trivial matter, the choice to own a cat or a dog can reveal some interesting insights about a person's personality and lifestyle. In this article, we will explore some of the psychological differences between cat owners and dog owners.

This difference in personality traits can be attributed to the nature of cats and dogs. Cats are known for their independent and self-sufficient nature. They often require less attention and can be content with spending time alone. This appeals to individuals who enjoy their own company and require periods of solitude to recharge and relax.

In contrast, dogs thrive on social interaction and companionship. They are pack animals by nature and seek constant social stimulation. Dog owners are often more inclined to seek out social activities and interact with others, as they find joy and fulfillment in the companionship and loyalty that dogs offer.

https://medium.com/@giulio.pozzali/the-psychological-difference-between-cat-owners-and-dogs-owners-ec612c44ecbb

 

 

I live alone.

I have no need for cats or dogs. But I prefer dogs above cats.

However, I really prefer a pet crow: an intelligent creature, more intelligent than any cat or dog will ever be.

My most favorite corvid?

The jackdaw.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 
2 minutes ago, Abramelin said:

The age-old debate of cat versus dog has been around for centuries, but have you ever considered the psychological differences between those who prefer one pet over the other? While it may seem like a trivial matter, the choice to own a cat or a dog can reveal some interesting insights about a person's personality and lifestyle. In this article, we will explore some of the psychological differences between cat owners and dog owners.

This difference in personality traits can be attributed to the nature of cats and dogs. Cats are known for their independent and self-sufficient nature. They often require less attention and can be content with spending time alone. This appeals to individuals who enjoy their own company and require periods of solitude to recharge and relax.

In contrast, dogs thrive on social interaction and companionship. They are pack animals by nature and seek constant social stimulation. Dog owners are often more inclined to seek out social activities and interact with others, as they find joy and fulfillment in the companionship and loyalty that dogs offer.

https://medium.com/@giulio.pozzali/the-psychological-difference-between-cat-owners-and-dogs-owners-ec612c44ecbb

 

 

I live alone.

I have no need for cats or dogs. But I prefer dogs above cats.

However, I really prefer a pet crow: an intelligent creature, more intelligent than any cat or dog will ever be.

My most favorite corvid?

The jackdaw.

I grew up with both at the same time, so I like them both equally.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Grim Reaper 6 said:

I grew up with both at the same time, so I like them both equally.

I grew up with dogs.

And... a pet jackdaw.

I like dogs, I admire cats, but I truelly love jackdaws.

They are very intelligent, can mimick many sounds, are very social, they will never forget you, and so on, and so on.

And they will remember what you gave them whatever forever, and transmit that knowledge to their offspring.

They even return gifts, for christ's sake.

 

No cat or dog does that. Ok, cats will give you a dead mouse as a present... a present you don't want. These cats only consider you as being incapable of catching your own food.

Crows/corvids/jackdaws don't do that.

Ok. Maybe a stupid crow does, but not a jackdaw.

Corvids will give you shiny things. Things both them and us like. Or very colored things.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wonder what it means to love corvids.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Abramelin said:

I grew up with dogs.

And... a pet jackdaw.

I like dogs, I admire cats, but I truelly love jackdaws.

They are very intelligent, can mimick many sounds, are very social, they will never forget you, and so on, and so on.

And they will remember what you gave them whatever forever, and transmit that knowledge to their offspring.

They even return gifts, for christ's sake.

 

No cat or dog does that. Ok, cats will give you a dead mouse as a present... a present you don't want. These cats only consider you as being incapable of catching your own food.

Crows/corvids/jackdaws don't do that.

Ok. Maybe a stupid crow does, but not a jackdaw.

Corvids will give you shiny things. Things both them and us like. Or very colored things.

Sorry but I am unfamiliar with Jackdaws or Corvids but based upon the conversation It seems they are birds. I don’t care for birds much, had a bad experience when I was young kid. I walked by a tree and a dam Robin that had a nest attacked me and pecked the crap out of the top my head, still have a scar. When, I was around 7 or 8 my dad bought me my first Dog from a local breeder. Rex was 50% Wolf And 50% German Shepherd I got him right after he was weened from mother.

When I got him my mother already had a Cat that was almost a year old her Name was princess and that’s why I named my puppy Rex (king). Anyway they got along and throughout their lives they were best of friends. Rex looked more Wolf than Dog, and it use to freak people out, but fortunately his temperament was like Dog and not Wolf. Rex full grown weighed approximately 110 pounds and he stood approximately a meter tall so he was a pretty big Dog. My mothers Cat was the character, if a Dog came near our property when she was out she would attack it and it didn’t matter the Dogs size.

I suppose after growing up and playing rough with Rex she thought she was badass. Anyway, once a stray Dog encountered her they would never come back around our house.:lol:

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Abramelin said:

I wonder what it means to love corvids.

  Maybe it means you are very intelligent and sensitive…like me!   :P   dunno, but I have some Raven friends in desert areas we have camped for ten winters.  Usually just one or two pairs in an Area.. their territory? I suspect.  They visit at least once nearly Every day..if only for a nearby flyover.  (don’t tell on me, I probably shouldn’t,but I sometimes leave an apple ,orange, carrot, piece of crust)..  I was crying a tiny bit that Beautiful Morning*!  when I was backing the van into the dirt road to leave our beloved desert. and one flew over about twenty feet from me and Hovered on the wind beside me  🥲       I rolled down the window and said “Seeya Sweety” !        AWK! 

Edited by lightly
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Abramelin said:

I wonder what it means to love corvids.

Do you worship the dark side 😈, only joking I really love crows. My uncle had one that talked and sat on a perch on his front porch. I'm not sure about dog owners being social though, My wife and I have been big time dog people all our lives, owning up to 12 at a time. We are also very reclusive and hate socializing.

  • Thanks 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I grew up with cats and dogs. The cats came and went as they pleased. The dogs were forced to stay within a fenced yard. The dogs loved us. The cats seemingly could have not cared less. 

I did a little survey at work last year. I work in a working group of five. Myself, and one other have dogs. Two others had cats. The fifth had neither. None had both.

The dog owners had the higher certifications, and paygrades. The cat owners had the lowest paygrades, and least certifications. The cat owners also tended to require lots of off time. And the dog owners were married, and the cat owners were single. 

Correlation isnt causation... But...

Hire dog owners... 😇

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, openozy said:

Do you worship the dark side 😈,

Sort of..

KingCrow.thumb.jpg.52fc48799a27d455d70fd76878d23402.jpg

  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, openozy said:

Do you worship the dark side 😈, only joking I really love crows. My uncle had one that talked and sat on a perch on his front porch. I'm not sure about dog owners being social though, My wife and I have been big time dog people all our lives, owning up to 12 at a time. We are also very reclusive and hate socializing.

Well according to our interactions here on the forum I would have never guessed you were reclusive and hated socializing. 

Surprised!:yes:

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Grim Reaper 6 said:

Well according to our interactions here on the forum I would have never guessed you were reclusive and hated socializing. 

Surprised!:yes:

True, I like talking on here. I hate parties but when forced to go, lol I pretty well talk the leg off an iron pot. Maybe I am like dogs and when thrown into a pack usually get on alright. Better that than being mauled to death I suppose, lol.

  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Abramelin said:

I wonder what it means to love corvids.

Your ancestors were the Sarmatians who settled Poland? ('Grandchildren of the Crow' Clan) 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Piney said:

Your ancestors were the Sarmatians who settled Poland? ('Grandchildren of the Crow' Clan) 

Heh, I have no idea.

Several years ago I learned that my father and his ancestors were all born in villages belonging to a former county called "Het Land van Ravenstein".

Ravenstein means Raven Stone in English, and the county was named after a 14th century castle with that name. Many villages of that former county still carry a raven in their coat of arms.

Wapenravenstein.png.a2fd1e39f667464c80e036ca55beeceb.png

Map_-_NL_-_Historical_Land_van_Ravenstein.png.41dffe05922f1f9bfa8657cd26e370bd.png

 

 

 

https://paulbuddehistory.com/europe/14-low-countries-river-lands/

and scroll till you read this:

The great-granddaughter of Rutger van Kuyc/Rutger I van Herpen was married to Jan I van Valkenburg, Lord of Born and Sittard. Under the reign of his son Walraven the centre of the county moved to Ravenstein, where he built himself a castle. The city received its privileges in 1380 as a direct result of a defence centre needed during the Gelre wars. The County also included: Demen, Dennenburg, Deursen, Herpen, Huiseling, Langel, Reek, Schaijk and Velp. Several of these communities have a long history dating back, pre-historic archaeological evidence show occupation evidence from Bronze and Iron Ages on the higher laying areas in what was a river delta. In several of these places larger villages started appeared in the 10th century and some of the churches still have remnants of these early building activities.

KasteelRavenstein-1730.jpg.de738223ee50b4ef108a2cb6b0a50570.jpg

A site about the castle (Dutch) :

https://www.kasteleninnederland.nl/kasteeldetails.php?id=1016

Edited by Abramelin
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't know I kinda have 'pet deer'. Since I give them left over corn from hunting season. No I'm not baiting them up, but I feed them out of season. So they come and go around my yard. Plus the neighborhood cats get feed occasionally when I have extra cat food, same for the neighborhood dogs. I get along with animals better than people. They're easy to understand. 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

I don't know I kinda have 'pet deer'. Since I give them left over corn from hunting season. No I'm not baiting them up, but I feed them out of season. So they come and go around my yard. Plus the neighborhood cats get feed occasionally when I have extra cat food, same for the neighborhood dogs. I get along with animals better than people. They're easy to understand. 

I knew when deer season opened up in my zone in Upper Deerfield because the local deer were in my pasture chilling with my horses. They got free sweet feed handouts the entire time.

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I miss the foxes that came into the yard a few years ago. A grey and black one, just on the edge of the woods. Plus it's getting time for Mr. Skunk to pay a visit like he does every year. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  I have some chipmunk friends back home…they come right up near my feet and listen if I talk to them.     Then, invariably, instinct kicks in and they  scooot! :P      We have deer that come to the birdbath for a drink (I keep it pretty clean, so I hope it’s ok for them to drink birdbath).   Used to have chickadees that would land on my outstretched arms while they waited their turn at the feeder.  I phased out the feeder..it attracted too many mice.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I know a lot of posts have nothing to do with the topic. But I'm really glad to know UM has many animal lovers onboard.

👍

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, XenoFish said:

I miss the foxes that came into the yard a few years ago. A grey and black one, just on the edge of the woods. Plus it's getting time for Mr. Skunk to pay a visit like he does every year. 

I miss that female coyote that use to sleep under my camper and I fed her hotdogs while having my nightly outdoor tea.

2 hours ago, lightly said:

  I have some chipmunk friends back home…they come right up near my feet and listen if I talk to them.     Then, invariably, instinct kicks in and they  scooot! :P      We have deer that come to the birdbath for a drink (I keep it pretty clean, so I hope it’s ok for them to drink birdbath).   Used to have chickadees that would land on my outstretched arms while they waited their turn at the feeder.  I phased out the feeder..it attracted too many mice.

My wife and I had a herd of them that ran around us and ate almonds from our hands. One ran up on my son's shoe and gave the chicken a heart attack. 

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

An oldie:

And a more recent one:

 

Edited by Abramelin
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Piney said:

I knew when deer season opened up in my zone in Upper Deerfield because the local deer were in my pasture chilling with my horses. They got free sweet feed handouts the entire time.

Everyone around me is gun happy and shoot everything that moves. I've given up hunting and every afternoon I get between 40 to 100 roos on my 25 acres as this seems the time the shooters are active. The roos can sense the safety and know I'm a sucker, lol.

  • Thanks 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.