Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

UK to abandon border checks- possibly forever


pellinore

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Absolute madness. Just weeks after the UK govt said it was going to start its legal obligations to check imports, it has now changed its mind again. So, the UK is wide open to substandard food stuffs and smuggling, because we do not have the staff (customs officials, security or vets) to carry them out, and to try do so would add substantially to inflation. So much for taking back control of our borders.

A new £24m border control post may have to be demolished because repeated changes to post-Brexit border arrangements have left it commercially unviable.

The facility at Portsmouth International Port is due to begin physical checks on food and plant imports from the EU at the end of next month, but changes to border protocols since it was built mean half of the building will never be used.

Built with a £17m central government grant and £7m from Portsmouth City Council, which owns the port, it is designed to carry out checks on up to 80 truck loads of produce a day. The port now expects to process only four or five daily.

Portsmouth's new Brexit border post could be demolished | Business News | Sky News

 

Edited by pellinore
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • The title was changed to UK to abandon border checks- possibly forever
 
20 minutes ago, pellinore said:

Absolute madness. Just weeks after the UK govt said it was going to start its legal obligations to check imports, it has now changed its mind again. So, the UK is wide open to substandard food stuffs and smuggling, because we do not have the staff (customs officials, security or vets) to carry them out, and to try do so would add substantially to inflation. So much for taking back control of our borders.

A new £24m border control post may have to be demolished because repeated changes to post-Brexit border arrangements have left it commercially unviable.

The facility at Portsmouth International Port is due to begin physical checks on food and plant imports from the EU at the end of next month, but changes to border protocols since it was built mean half of the building will never be used.

Built with a £17m central government grant and £7m from Portsmouth City Council, which owns the port, it is designed to carry out checks on up to 80 truck loads of produce a day. The port now expects to process only four or five daily.

Portsmouth's new Brexit border post could be demolished | Business News | Sky News

 

That's and what is happening in America right now proves how dangerious and ridiculous doing something like that actually is!

JIMHO

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Grim Reaper 6 said:

That's and what is happening in America right now proves how dangerious and ridiculous doing something like that actually is!

JIMHO

Globalism is slowly dying 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Unusual Tournament said:

Globalism is slowly dying 

Yes, it is but I am uncertain at this point time if that is a good thing! :no:

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Grim Reaper 6 said:

Yes, it is but I am uncertain at this point time if that is a good thing! :no:

Don’t know. There’s a new Cold War developing and a parallel trading bloc (BRICCS) looks like we’re going back to the 70’s and 80’s

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Unusual Tournament said:

Don’t know. There’s a new Cold War developing and a parallel trading bloc (BRICCS) looks like we’re going back to the 70’s and 80’s

16 minutes ago, Unusual Tournament said:

Globalism is slowly dying 

Just when global trade is starting to be damaged by cost (Ukraine War) and piracy (the Red Sea) the UK decided to prioritise trade the other side of the world, rather than 20 miles away. This was a decision by our present govt- they are going to be decimated the first chance we get at a General Election. But they are holding on as long as they can as they are looting taxpayers' money at a level never seen in the past. Let's hope future UK govts prioritise our own continent and people.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Unusual Tournament said:

Don’t know. There’s a new Cold War developing and a parallel trading bloc (BRICCS) looks like we’re going back to the 70’s and 80’s

I totally agree and hopefully that cold war stays cold. But I have a bad feeling that the current conflict in the Ukraine is going to spread into the European Union. I think before the Russians can act; NATO should start deploying troops to the Ukraine. I think this will really shake Vladimir Putin up, because while he talks a great game, I believe what he says is talk and nothing more. If NATO countries deployed troops, the conflict in the Ukraine, including the recapture of the Crimea could be accomplished in little more than two months. In addition, it would totally destabilize Putin hold in Russia and I think in reality the Russian people want him gone.

The Russians are not prepared for the fire power NATO can bring and I believe the entire Russian Front currently in place would collapse. The European union can see the writing on the wall, if the Ukraine falls their next, unless Putin gets a serious bloody nose he will not stop the current Russian expansion. Will he use a tactical nuclear weapon, I don't believe so because he is well aware that NATO would retaliate in like kind. But even if did, it would be out of complete desperation and it would create a global out cry that would spell the end for Vladimir Putin!!!!!!

JIMHO

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, pellinore said:

Just when global trade is starting to be damaged by cost (Ukraine War) and piracy (the Red Sea) the UK decided to prioritise trade the other side of the world, rather than 20 miles away. This was a decision by our present govt- they are going to be decimated the first chance we get at a General Election. But they are holding on as long as they can as they are looting taxpayers' money at a level never seen in the past. Let's hope future UK govts prioritise our own continent and people.

The Trump loving Brexiteers will not be judged kindly by history 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Grim Reaper 6 said:

I totally agree and hopefully that cold war stays cold. But I have a bad feeling that the current conflict in the Ukraine is going to spread into the European Union. I think before the Russians can act; NATO should start deploying troops to the Ukraine. I think this will really shake Vladimir Putin up, because while he talks a great game, I believe what he says is talk and nothing more. If NATO countries deployed troops, the conflict in the Ukraine, including the recapture of the Crimea could be accomplished in little more than two months. In addition, it would totally destabilize Putin hold in Russia and I think in reality the Russian people want him gone.

The Russians are not prepared for the fire power NATO can bring and I believe the entire Russian Front currently in place would collapse. The European union can see the writing on the wall, if the Ukraine falls their next, unless Putin gets a serious bloody nose he will not stop the current Russian expansion. Will he use a tactical nuclear weapon, I don't believe so because he is well aware that NATO would retaliate in like kind. But even if did, it would be out of complete desperation and it would create a global out cry that would spell the end for Vladimir Putin!!!!!!

JIMHO

Very few country’s can do what Russia is doing in Ukraine and that makes Russia very dangerous. Putin announced a couple of days ago he is raising another 300,000 strong army. France, Britain and America can send troops but direct contact will only encourage China and Iran to do the same. Let’s assume Ukraine’s forces are collapsing otherwise there wouldn’t be talk of NATO troops in Ukraine. So against this backdrop let’s agree NATO troops in Ukraine is a reactive move.
 

Can Russia attack a NATO country? Do not think so. So maybe those French troops have more to do with sending a new message otherwise Russia and the West go nuclear which is something both are not willing to do over Ukraine. Well I hope not!
 

In my estimation, Crimea and Donbass are gone and I believe Odessa will fall before another chance for peace develops. With Victoria Nuland removed from her position maybe feelers have already gone out attempting to close this war down.

Either way nothing will be the same as before the war. If Trump gets elected then all bets are off so it’s really important Trump loses and Biden and Putin come to an understanding. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, Unusual Tournament said:

Very few country’s can do what Russia is doing in Ukraine and that makes Russia very dangerous. Putin announced a couple of days ago he is raising another 300,000 strong army. France, Britain and America can send troops but direct contact will only encourage China and Iran to do the same. Let’s assume Ukraine’s forces are collapsing otherwise there wouldn’t be talk of NATO troops in Ukraine. So against this backdrop let’s agree NATO troops in Ukraine is a reactive move.

In my opinion in the event that all the European Countries were to send troops into the Ukraine, I doubt China will do little more than supply weapons to Russia in larger quantities than are sending right now. I don’t believe that China will send soldiers to help the Russians fight in the Ukraine. While China has opened a great deal over the last 40 years they are still an isolationist country when using military power outside their borders Taiwan is the exception to that because like Hong Kong it was a Chinese Territory before WWII. As far as Iran goes, they currently have their hands full with the Israeli Palestinian conflict. They also never fight unless their boarders are crossed, they prefer to allow terrorists to do all the bleeding for them, the only conflict they have been directly involved in was the Iran / Iraq war and they lost large number people especially children in that conflict. 

40 minutes ago, Unusual Tournament said:

Can Russia attack a NATO country? Do not think so. So maybe those French troops have more to do with sending a new message otherwise Russia and the West go nuclear which is something both are not willing to do over Ukraine. Well I hope not!
In my estimation, Crimea and Donbass are gone and I believe Odessa will fall before another chance for peace develops. With Victoria Nuland removed from her position maybe feelers have already gone out attempting to close this war down.

Russia will not attack a NATO country directly, because its very obvious that if they can handle a small country like the Ukraine they have no chance against NATO. If NATO doesn’t move into the Ukraine I agree that the Donbas and the Crimea are lost to the Ukraine. I don’t have enough knowledge to say that the war may soon come to an end. But my military contacts don’t believe that it will end anytime soon, unless NATO jumps in with both feet. I suppose that only time will tell, when and what the outcome will be. So, your assessment above could be completely right.

40 minutes ago, Unusual Tournament said:

Either way nothing will be the same as before the war. If Trump gets elected then all bets are off so it’s really important Trump loses and Biden and Putin come to an understanding. 

I totally agree that if Trump is elected he will immediately side with Vladimir Putin and attempt to give him whatever he wants. I believe that the intention before Russia invaded, however Trump the 2020 election so their plan was put to bed. I it’s very important that Trump loses the 2024 election, because if he win the entire world will regret it.

JIMHO

Edited by Grim Reaper 6
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, pellinore said:

Just when global trade is starting to be damaged by cost (Ukraine War) and piracy (the Red Sea) the UK decided to prioritise trade the other side of the world, rather than 20 miles away. This was a decision by our present govt- they are going to be decimated the first chance we get at a General Election. But they are holding on as long as they can as they are looting taxpayers' money at a level never seen in the past. Let's hope future UK govts prioritise our own continent and people.

Perhaps these people's bank accts. should be checked for Rubles. Sure seems awfully familiar. 🤔 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.