Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Do you think that there should be a Paranormal History Month?

Mapleseed

Should there be a month dedicated and celebrating the paranormal? And what month should it be?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Mapleseed said:

Should there be a month dedicated and celebrating the paranormal? And what month should it be?

First let me say welcome to the forum, it is always great to see knew members!:tu:

I think it would be cool, while I am on the fence concerning real paranormal activity I enjoy reading about it. I think that October would be the perfect month, since that is when we celebrate Halloween or All Hollows Eve!

Again welcome hope to see you around!!!!!:tu:

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Mapleseed said:

Welcome to the forum. I agree with Grim. October would be great.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I can only imagine the religious zealots flipping out over such a thing. Due to that it would never happen.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, esoteric_toad said:

I can only imagine the religious zealots flipping out over such a thing. Due to that it would never happen.

Yea you probably right the Christians would mostly freakout!:yes:

• Like 1

Best thing to do would be to ask Saru. He's pretty reasonable. If they don't like it, they don't have to participate. 

• Like 3

I think it’s a great idea. Every day could be devoted to discussing a different topic. Famous cases, different theories, personal experiences, favorite figures, types of phenomena etc.

• Thanks 3

8 minutes ago, Antigonos said:

I think it’s a great idea. Every day could be devoted to discussing a different topic. Famous cases, different theories, personal experiences, favorite figures, types of phenomena etc.

I certainly agree that would be very interesting, I would certainly enjoy!:tu:

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Mapleseed said:

We already have that, it's October. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Mapleseed said:

Welcome to the forums. :)

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Antigonos said:

Wait...isn't every month paranormal month here?  I mean...well, you know...

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

18 hours ago, joc said:

Wait...isn't every month paranormal month here?  I mean...well, you know...

Not really. We seem to get more ghost threads around two different thing. Whatever popular ghost/spook/horror movie is out and near Halloween. With the few straggler threads here and there.

On 3/26/2024 at 4:16 AM, joc said:

Wait...isn't every month paranormal month here? 

As it should be 👻 👍.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/25/2024 at 9:45 AM, Mapleseed said:

Aughost.

• Haha 3

12 hours ago, XenoFish said:

Not really. We seem to get more ghost threads around two different thing. Whatever popular ghost/spook/horror movie is out and near Halloween. With the few straggler threads here and there.

I never noticed...but then...I don't really invest much of my time in ghost threads.  I'm just amazed that some people still believe in ghosts.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, joc said:

I'm just amazed that some people still believe in ghosts

The paranormal is an amazing world.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, joc said:

I never noticed...but then...I don't really invest much of my time in ghost threads.  I'm just amazed that some people still believe in ghosts.

For me it’s mostly a historical/sociological thing. I love obscure localized history from the British Isles and continental Europe and in these accounts there is information on remote places, vanished ways of life and long extinct families that are only easily accessible through the lens of supernatural tales written by contemporary or near contemporary authors. They are a rich mine of fascinating folkloric and cultural beliefs as well. I take what I think is personally interesting and leave the rest or take it with a grain of salt. And I also love collecting old books. I find the history of the belief in the supernatural interesting as well. Things like the age of Victorian spiritualism, the events, thought processes and personalities behind the early years of the Society for Psychical Research in London I enjoy reading about without necessarily buying into the reality of the supernatural itself. They’re also reliable sources for the history of fraud which has continued to the present day.

Edited by Antigonos
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Antigonos said:

For me it’s mostly a historical/sociological thing. I love obscure localized history from the British Isles and continental Europe and in these accounts there is information on remote places, vanished ways of life and long extinct families that are only easily accessible through the lens of supernatural tales written by contemporary or near contemporary authors. They are a rich mine of fascinating folkloric and cultural beliefs as well. And I also love collecting old books. I find the history of the belief in the supernatural interesting as well. Things like the age of Victorian spiritualism, the events, thought processes and personalities behind the early years of the Society for Psychical Research in London I enjoy reading about without necessarily buying into the reality of the supernatural itself. 

I just synthesized it all down to Voodoo.  :o 

• Like 1

Just now, joc said:

Which is another interesting topic without the supernatural element being reality. For me anyway. 👍

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, openozy said:

The paranormal is an amazing world.

The paranormal is an amazing perspective on the world.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Antigonos said:

Which is another interesting topic without the supernatural element being reality. For me anyway. 👍

I think the universe is normal.  Supernatural is also just a perspective.  :yes:

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, joc said:

To me Voodoo, Satanism and the like are attempts to try and control and manipulate the paranormal, which is around us constantly. It's a feeble attempt and gives everything paranormal an evil vibe when in fact it has more beautiful aspects to it than negative ones. To me it's just day to day life.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, openozy said:

To me Voodoo, Satanism and the like are attempts to try and control and manipulate the paranormal, which is around us constantly. It's a feeble attempt and gives everything paranormal an evil vibe when in fact it has more beautiful aspects to it than negative ones. To me it's just day to day life.

In reality...Voodoo is fear based, as is everything paranormal.  For those without fear...there is just reality as it is...raw reality.

10 minutes ago, joc said:

In reality...Voodoo is fear based, as is everything paranormal.  For those without fear...there is just reality as it is...raw reality.

I can see that being the case, a way of control. I have no fear of anything paranormal now but it still happens to me all the time. I did think for a time earlier on it was psychological fear causing hallucinations but this just isn't true, with me anyway. I actually haven't had fear of death at all in the last couple of years, not sure if that's a good thing though.

• Like 1

It should coincide with Bigfoot Hunting Season...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1