Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Panpsychism: could everything in the universe be conscious ?

UM-Bot

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, UM-Bot said:

One theory suggests that everything in the universe, even the chair you are sitting on, has some level of consciousness.

https://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/375599/panpsychism-could-everything-in-the-universe-be-conscious

Well, I must say that this is an interesting concept, however I am still trying to wrap my mind around how it would actually work.

It's an interesting Article Saru, how and where did you come up with the idea??

@Saru

Edited by Grim Reaper 6
  • Like 1

Great. Now I’ll never be able to sit comfortably in a chair ever again.

• Haha 3

35 minutes ago, Grim Reaper 6 said:

how and where did you come up with the idea??

The source link is included at the bottom of the article.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Antigonos said:

Great. Now I’ll never be able to sit comfortably in a chair ever again.

It’s creepy, I wonder if they have a sexual orientation also!:w00t::lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Grim Reaper 6 said:

It’s creepy, I wonder if they have a sexual orientation also!:w00t::lol:

Just when I thought it couldn’t get any worse.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I have always thought this is possible and probable.   But I have been called weird since I was in 5th grade.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

27 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

I have always thought this is possible and probable.   But I have been called weird since I was in 5th grade.

Your poor toilet!

• Haha 5

It’s interesting how the authors of the Bible often described inanimate objects as having animated qualities. Mountains leaping, hills singing, trees clapping, stones crying out in praise. Perhaps the Hebrew poets had insights  that we’re only now becoming aware of.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Cho Jinn said:

Your poor toilet!

Yes, we should still be digging holes and squating over them, it is more enviromentally friendly and the earth can deal with that better than what we put down our toilets to "keep them clean".

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, simplybill said:

It’s interesting how the authors of the Bible often described inanimate objects as having animated qualities. Mountains leaping, hills singing, trees clapping, stones crying out in praise. Perhaps the Hebrew poets had insights  that we’re only now becoming aware of.

Apparently Disney did too...

image.png.439cde2bde8336d5f961ac4dac4bb0da.png

• Haha 2

Wikipedia:

In the philosophy of mind, panpsychism is the view that the mind or a mind-like aspect is a fundamental and ubiquitous feature of reality. It is also described as a theory that "the mind is a fundamental feature of the world which exists throughout the universe". 

I find the teachers and philosophers of Advaita Vedanta to provide the most advanced understanding. Advaita says there is One consciousness that creates this play/drama with illusory separateness. I'm understanding panpsychism is claiming consciousness exists intrinsically in all matter. My quick internet search is telling me the two (Advaita and panpsychism) are not the same.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, UM-Bot said:

One theory suggests that everything in the universe, even the chair you are sitting on, has some level of consciousness.

https://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/375599/panpsychism-could-everything-in-the-universe-be-conscious

It would be nice to think that consciousness served a cosmic purpose and developed because it was useful.

There might need to be a minimum level to be useful, the point where something becomes self aware? 

There could then be a feed back loop that could steer the universe toward a better path.

Not as I could guess what the universe considers is a better path. 

1 hour ago, simplybill said:

I think everything in the universe has some level of consciousness because everything is energy. 

• Like 3

Yeah.... All energy in the Universe is conscious, and any kind of evolution is the basic manifestation of it... But don't wanna ride my hobby-horse.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I dunno why…I BElieve in BE ing.  I dunno that we can lump all BE ing into one word ..”consciousness”…as in, like ours.   Maybe it’s a matter of everything vibrating at vastly variable Frequencies?    Some so slow as to seem to never actuate…some so fast as to be, to us, imperceptible.  We can only perceive ,be conscious of, an extremely thin slice of reality.    Does that mean that reality is limited to what we can consciously perceive? 
      Or, maybe I’m full of crap.?  :lol: ..I just have fun thinking..

Edited by lightly
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Grim Reaper 6 said:

Well, I must say that this is an interesting concept, however I am still trying to wrap my mind around how it would actually work.

It's an interesting Article Saru, how and where did you come up with the idea??

@Saru

Take a close look at Shintoism and Northern Korean/ Algonquian Shamanism. The Life-force is in every subatomic particle according to those beliefs. That's why the Japanese and Algonquians personify everything. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, L.A.T.1961 said:

It would be nice to think that consciousness served a cosmic purpose and developed because it was useful.

There might need to be a minimum level to be useful, the point where something becomes self aware? 

There could then be a feed back loop that could steer the universe toward a better path.

Not as I could guess what the universe considers is a better path. 

The Law of Increasing Functional Complexity almost acts planned. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

Wikipedia:

In the philosophy of mind, panpsychism is the view that the mind or a mind-like aspect is a fundamental and ubiquitous feature of reality. It is also described as a theory that "the mind is a fundamental feature of the world which exists throughout the universe". 

I find the teachers and philosophers of Advaita Vedanta to provide the most advanced understanding. Advaita says there is One consciousness that creates this play/drama with illusory separateness. I'm understanding panpsychism is claiming consciousness exists intrinsically in all matter. My quick internet search is telling me the two (Advaita and panpsychism) are not the same.

Then again...maybe not...maybe the entire Universe is just flatulence from The Deity.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

Advaita says there is One consciousness that creates this play/drama with illusory separateness.

According to Wikipedia, Advaita Vedanta borrowed this and many other ideas from Buddhism.

Buddhism (Zen Buddhism in particular) says that there is nothing but the Buddha's mind, which is pure and devoid of any characteristics. We are the Buddha, but we have illusions of differences between things which produce desires and suffering. These illusions are clouding our minds like clouds over the eternally pure sun, but once we understand that these are only illusions, no more than meaningless puffs of vapor, we understand that we are the Buddha and ever were, and our sufferings come to an end.

Edited by Chaldon
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Chaldon said:

According to Wikipedia, Advaita Vedanta borrowed this and many other ideas from Buddhism.

Buddhism (Zen Buddhism in particular) says that there is nothing but the Buddha's mind, which is pure and devoid of any characteristics. We are the Buddha, but we have illusions of differences between things which produce desires and suffering. These illusions are clouding our minds like clouds over the eternally pure sun, but once we understand that these are only illusions, no more than meaningless puffs of vapor, we understand that we are the Buddha and ever were, and our sufferings come to an end.

There a theological debate about that. Some Advaita Vedanta followers claim Buddhism borrowed it from them but I agree with the Wiki article. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Piney said:

There a theological debate about that. Some Advaita Vedanta followers claim Buddhism borrowed it from them but I agree with the Wiki article. 

Actually every sort of debate about the truth distracts people from the truth. Another cloud over the pure light, hence the continuation of sufferings. When we disagree we feel the emotion, and every emotion is new karma in creation. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Chaldon said:

Actually every sort of debate about the truth distracts people from the truth. Another cloud over the pure light, hence the continuation of sufferings. When we disagree we feel the emotion, and every emotion is new karma in creation. 😉

The emotion brought on by disagreement has more to do with one party or both parties insisting the other is wrong.   You can disagree without being emotional about it but it is a mindset that what you know may or may not be relevant to anyone else and forcing them to change their mind to match yours is wrong.   Every culture has deities they worship or their ancestors worshiped and none of them are about The Truth, they are about trying to make sense of the unexplainable.   Any time you try to explain the unexplainable you have to make **** up to do it.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Chaldon said:

Can I get some dressing with this word salad?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1