Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Girl, 8, dies after being sucked into hotel swimming pool pipes in Texas

Still Waters

An eight-year-old girl died after being "violently sucked" into piping at a hotel swimming pool, her family has said.

Aliyah Jaico had been enjoying a dip with her family at the DoubleTree hotel in Houston, Texas, when the tragedy happened on Saturday 23 March.

Lawyers representing the family said she was in the "lazy river style" pool when she was "violently sucked into a 12 to 16-inch unsecured gap in the swimming pool flow system".

Her body was later found around 6m (20ft) deep inside the piping.

The family is suing the hotel for more than $1m (£790,000) in damages. Police are also investigating.

https://news.sky.com/story/aliyah-jaico-eight-dies-after-being-violently-sucked-into-hotel-swimming-pool-pipes-in-texas-13102064

The pool was inspected on Monday.

According to officials, the new piping appeared to be malfunctioning because it was supposed to be pushing water out. Instead, it was pulling water in.

In addition, 13 Investigates found the Houston Health Department's reports from Monday's inspection, which identified multiple violations.

https://abc7.com/aliyah-lynette-jaico-houston-hotel-malfunction-drowning-doubletree-by-hilton-pool-8-year-old-girl-dies/14572845/

• Sad 9

Posted (edited)

I always thought some kind of a cover was required to be on openings that are in pools. I didn't think you could just leave them open. That pipe sounds like the opening was a good size. It had to be for the child to fit into it.

Edited by susieice
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, susieice said:

I always thought some kind of a cover was required to be on openings that are in pools. I didn't think you could just leave them open. That pipe sounds like the opening was a good size. It had to be for the child to fit into it.

Texas isn't really a "regulations" type of state.  

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Gromdor said:

Or a lawful state seeing as they ignored a Supreme Court decision. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, Gromdor said:

Or just maybe the hotel property was poorly managed and maintained.   Regulations can only do so much.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Edumakated said:

Or just maybe the hotel property was poorly managed and maintained.   Regulations can only do so much.  

Oh, so you are blaming incompetent enforcement of regulations?  I tend to agree

A quick check shows me this:Texas Administrative Code (state.tx.us)

So yup, it's supposed to be covered.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Gromdor said:

Oh, so you are blaming incompetent enforcement of regulations?  I tend to agree

A quick check shows me this:Texas Administrative Code (state.tx.us)

So yup, it's supposed to be covered.

So it has nothing to do with Texas being lax on regulations but the property being poorly maintained and inspected.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Edumakated said:

So it has nothing to do with Texas being lax on regulations but the property being poorly maintained and inspected.

By that logic Biden has nothing to do with the border crisis and the fault lies with the border patrol in the area failing to do their duty well enough.

Laws and regulations are pointless without enforcement.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Gromdor said:

By that logic Biden has nothing to do with the border crisis and the fault lies with the border patrol in the area failing to do their duty well enough.

Laws and regulations are pointless without enforcement.

Are you blaming Biden for the border crisis?

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Paranoid Android said:

Are you blaming Biden for the border crisis?

As president he does bear responsibilty.  Just as Trump bears responsibility for how bad it was under him.  How Obama bears responsibility under him.  Etc.

Biden is just as bad as all the rest for not addressing it until it became an election year issue(again).  

Edited by Gromdor
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Gromdor said:

As president he does bear responsibilty.  Just as Trump bears responsibility for how bad it was under him.  How Obama bears responsibility under him.  Etc.

Fair enough, however it's worth pointing out that illegal immigration under Biden has been at an all-time high, which makes him particularly bad at his job. Though to be fair to Biden, I would put the blame on the mainstream media portraying Biden as soft on immigration and therefore USA soft on immigration. These perceptions from those who want to get in make them think the attempt is worth the risk and thus a spike in illegal crossings, rather than a failure in Border Policy. 

1 hour ago, Gromdor said:

Biden is just as bad as all the rest for not addressing it until it became an election year issue(again).  

Welcome to politics. If people got things done when they were supposed to instead of using policy as an election bone to fight over, things would be much better. Arguably that's the appeal in Trump, being an outsider who can "drain the swamp" - and I appreciate the data shows that didn't happen, but perception is more powerful than reality. Trump cultivates a perception that the swamp wasn't drained because he was being hamstrung by the elites, but now he's learned his lessons and knows what to do the next time. 

Whether that's reality or just his carefully crafted fiction, it gains votes. Nothing significant is going to change. He won't drain the swamp. But he won't be a dictator either. Those are the two extreme camps the media is trying to force us into, and I think that's absurdly reductive and misses all the nuance in between where reality (and the majority of our opinions and views) actually lies. And I would put money on us having more in common than different if we ever met in real life. 

Edited by Paranoid Android
Fixed Grammar, added non-literal wager to end.

Posted (edited)

Wow , the thread went from the child's tragedy right over to political in a hurry.

Edited by Razman
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Paranoid Android said:

Fair enough, however it's worth pointing out that illegal immigration under Biden has been at an all-time high, which makes him particularly bad at his job.

Only if that were the sole determining factor on the border.

Under Trump, we had covid and isolation. Restaurants were closed, people worked from home, a lot of service jobs just got suspended,  People that come here for economic advantage don't come if there are no jobs and there is a risk of contracting a disease that would prevent you from working for a period of them.  That in itself might explain less traffic at the border.

Not only did the US open up again under Biden but unrest in South and Central America spurred more people to flee north. More jobs here  and unfavorable conditions at home pushed the adventurous north. 

I am not letting Trump off the hook for poor covid performance or Biden for poor border performance.  I am geared toward the logic that  finds and fixes problems, not being satisfied with blaming the individual and not solving the problem.

If we just say its Biden's fault or Trump's fault, and forget the rest, how do we fix the problem before it happens again?

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Razman said:

Wow , the thread went from the child's tragedy right over to political in a hurry.

It's actually a dam shame, but it is not uncommon here.:yes:

• Like 1