Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

avoiding negative thoughts with laziness to correct them

trevor borocz johnson

Anyone ever tried to track certain thoughts by writing down the topic? I think that the laziness that comes after you make this a practice where you say I don't want to track thoughts is a good technique to avoid having frequent negative thoughts? like you replace the angry thought with laziness and avoid the thought? Sort of have to track the topics thought that make you negative first before you can feel that laziness. 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, trevor borocz johnson said:

Anyone ever tried to track certain thoughts by writing down the topic? I think that the laziness that comes after you make this a practice where you say I don't want to track thoughts is a good technique to avoid having frequent negative thoughts? like you replace the angry thought with laziness and avoid the thought? Sort of have to track the topics thought that make you negative first before you can feel that laziness. 

Nah, I'm way too lazy to be writing down my thoughts.😀

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, trevor borocz johnson said:

Yes, it is a tool from CBT: Cognitive Behavioral Therapy 

Tracking negative thoughts can be done by recording them in a journal or on a digital device as they occur.

Here's an example of how you can track a negative thought:

Negative Thought: "I'm such a failure. I can never seem to get anything right."

Time/Date: 03/25/2024 10:00 AM

Situation: Received feedback on a post on UM that wasn't as positive as expected.

Emotional Response: Frustration, disappointment, and self-criticism.

After tracking this negative thought, you can then work on challenging it by asking yourself questions like, "Is this thought based on facts? What evidence supports or contradicts this? Are there other perspectives I could consider?" This process can help you replace negative thoughts with more balanced and realistic ones.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

Yes, it is a tool from CBT: Cognitive Behavioral Therapy 

Tracking negative thoughts can be done by recording them in a journal or on a digital device as they occur.

Here's an example of how you can track a negative thought:

Negative Thought: "I'm such a failure. I can never seem to get anything right."

Time/Date: 03/25/2024 10:00 AM

Situation: Received feedback on a post on UM that wasn't as positive as expected.

Emotional Response: Frustration, disappointment, and self-criticism.

After tracking this negative thought, you can then work on challenging it by asking yourself questions like, "Is this thought based on facts? What evidence supports or contradicts this? Are there other perspectives I could consider?" This process can help you replace negative thoughts with more balanced and realistic ones.

My favorite psychology textbook lesson was to do these social cost situations, for example one of them was to go to a bar ask for a tap water use the bathroom and leave. I use to bar hop doing that. It was fun. another one had you rent a hotel room and return it right away, another one was to ask for a playgirl, look at it and say nevermind. They were crazy to try out. 

Whats your favorite psychology textbook lesson?

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, trevor borocz johnson said:

My favorite psychology textbook lesson was to do these social cost situations, for example one of them was to go to a bar ask for a tap water use the bathroom and leave. I use to bar hop doing that. It was fun. another one had you rent a hotel room and return it right away, another one was to ask for a playgirl, look at it and say nevermind. They were crazy to try out. 

45 minutes ago, trevor borocz johnson said:

Thank you for sharing.

For me it is case studies incorporating psychology in my work as a caregiver.

Case Mgr. evaluating  for Caregiver burnout…

Scenario:
Karen is a 54 year-old woman who is the primary caregiver for her  mother who has Vascular  Dementia complicated by repercussions from a massive stroke and aphasia. Karen has been taking care of her mother for the past five years, managing her daily needs, medications, and appointments, all while balancing her job and personal life, a marriage and her two teens and a dog. 

Symptoms:
- she has been experiencing increased feelings of stress, exhaustion, and overwhelmed, she micromanages everything. 
- she struggles to find time for herself as a result and feels guilty whenever she does something for her own well-being.
- she has noticed a decline in her own emotional well-being due to the constant demands of caregiving, it presents as reactionary easily triggered.

Analysis:
In this case study,  is exhibiting signs of caregiver burnout to the point that it has depeleted her caprice for compassion and empathy and coping a common issue among adult children who provide care for loved ones. 

Suggestions: 
Exercise, counseling, and a support system and setting boundaries to prioritize her own self-care and journaling her self care. It's crucial for her to recognize the importance of taking care of herself in order to continue providing quality care for her mom. 

Edited by Sherapy
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

Thank you for sharing.

For me it is case studies incorporating psychology in my work as a caregiver.

Case Mgr. evaluating  for Caregiver burnout…

Scenario:
Karen is a 54 year-old woman who is the primary caregiver for her  mother who has Vascular  Dementia complicated by repercussions from a massive stroke and aphasia. Karen has been taking care of her mother for the past five years, managing her daily needs, medications, and appointments, all while balancing her job and personal life, a marriage and her two teens and a dog. 

Symptoms:
- she has been experiencing increased feelings of stress, exhaustion, and overwhelmed, she micromanages everything. 
- she struggles to find time for herself as a result and feels guilty whenever she does something for her own well-being.
- she has noticed a decline in her own emotional well-being due to the constant demands of caregiving, it presents as reactionary.

Analysis:
In this case study,  is exhibiting signs of caregiver burnout to the point that it has depeleted her caprice for compassion and empathy and coping a common issue among adult children who provide care for loved ones. 

Suggestions: 
Exercise, counseling, and a support system and setting boundaries to prioritize her own self-care and journaling her self care. It's crucial for her to recognize the importance of taking care of herself in order to continue providing quality care for her mom. 

That is a your favorite thing in psychology? Seems like work more then something fun. Do you know of any fun psychology tricks?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, trevor borocz johnson said:

Interesting concept Trevor, however replacing one negative thought or behavior with another serves no purpose in my opinion. I think time is better spent determining why you're having negative thoughts in the first place and then correcting the problem or simply forgiving yourself for the transgression. Trevor the past is gone, and while we all have regrets about some events that have happened in our past it is better to break the bond to those events than to act lazy and do nothing.:yes:

JIMHO

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, trevor borocz johnson said:

No offense, but your kind of weird and funny at the same time!!:w00t::devil:

Edited by Grim Reaper 6
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, trevor borocz johnson said:

That is a your favorite thing in psychology? Seems like work more then something fun. Do you know of any fun psychology tricks?

Yes, for me, it is very fun and rewarding. 

Some fun tips and tricks to understand and improve life. Try smiling more often to boost your mood, experiment with different colors around you to see how they affect your emotions, and try the Zeigarnik Effect by starting tasks, then stopping to keep motivated to finish them, Google for more details. Keep an eye out for the frequency illusion where you start noticing new information everywhere, and try priming yourself with positive words or images before starting an endeavor or to enhance your performance. These simple psychological insights can add a bit of fun to your everyday life. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Grim Reaper 6 said:

No offense, but kind of weird and funny at the same time!!:w00t::devil:

There was a list of like 15 of them, I can barely remember them anymore it was like 15-20 years ago.

• Haha 2

51 minutes ago, trevor borocz johnson said:

There is a much easier way to have social exchanges and to feel better about yourself at the same time. Instead of going out and messing with people try going out and helping random people. You could go to a Super Market and sit in the parking lot and when you see someone who needs help you could walk over to them and offer it. There are many different ways you can implement what describe above, and any of them will give you confidence and a better impression of yourself.:yes:

JIMHO

• Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, Grim Reaper 6 said:

There is a much easier way to have social exchanges and to feel better about yourself at the same time. Instead of going out and messing with people try going out and helping random people. You could go to a Super Market and sit in the parking lot and when you see someone who needs help you could walk over to them and offer it. There are many different ways you can implement what describe above, and any of them will give you confidence and a better impression of yourself.:yes:

JIMHO

Well said.💖

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

From the time I was 27 for about  years, I wrote positive things on sticky notes and stuck them somewhere...the fridge, bathroom mirror, bedroom dresser mirror, on the walls...literally my entire apartment was covered with sticky notes of something positive.

Whenever I would catch myself using n't...I would immediately reverse it and say it twice.  Like, I don't want to go to work...I do want to go to work, I do want to go to work.  I would think for hours how to say something negative without using any negative words.  Like, I don't really want to go to the restaurant tonight.  I would love to go to the restaurant but perhaps another night would be a better time. 

We are what we eat.  We are what we think.  We are what we think we are. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dejarma said:

who decides what a negative thought is?

Common sense?

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, trevor borocz johnson said:

There was an American mystic named Adi Da ( Franklin Albert Jones) who had a practice of writing and recording the thought process of his mind, with respect to inner and outer stimuli, as a form of meditation for years. This enabled him to gain fundamental insights about the psyche.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adi_Da

During and after his postgraduate studies, Adi Da engaged in an experiment of exhaustive writing, a process in which he wrote continuously for eight or more hours daily, as a kind of "yoga" where every movement of conscious awareness, all experiences, internal or external, were monitored and recorded. 

In this exercise, he felt that he discovered a structure or "myth" that governed all human conscious awareness, a "schism in Reality" that was the "logic (or process) of separation itself, of enclosure and immunity, the source of all presumed self-identity". He understood this to be the same logic hidden in the ancient Greek myth of Narcissus, the adored child of the gods, who was condemned to the contemplation of his own image and suffered the fate of eternal separateness. He concluded that the "death of Narcissus" was required to fulfill what he felt was the guiding purpose of his life, which was to awaken to the "Spiritually 'Bright' Condition of Consciousness Itself" that was prior to Narcissus, and communicate this awakening to others.

Edited by Ajay0
  • Like 1

On 3/28/2024 at 10:24 PM, Dejarma said:

who decides what a negative thought is?

Hopefully the person thinking the thought.  Negative thoughts are easy to recognize because we either think in pictures or in words, mostly words.  So, look for words that end in 't.  The couldn't, wouldn't, shouldn't, didn't, can't, won't bunch...and of course the word 'no' itself.  Even if the thought has no contributing negative words, then: Was the thought productive or destructive, hateful or polite, abusing or helpful, to either you or someone else?

• Like 1

been separating the general topics of thought recently into sub topics. Doing that opens the door for new thoughts.

For me it's the lazy people that cause negative thoughts and if you are working for me your hands and feet better be moving faster than your mouth.