Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

British Army lifts ban on serving soldiers having beards

Still Waters

Soldiers and officers are now allowed to grow beards while serving in the British Army.

The beards and moustaches must be neat, properly groomed and will be routinely checked.

The policy comes into immediate effect as the Army becomes the last of the armed forces to allow its personnel to grow beards.

The new directive follows years of discussion around the Army's policy on facial hair.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-68691987

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

About ruddy time!

• Like 1

That means there is nothing stopping me joining the British Army now... well except my fitness, my health, my age and the fact that I would be a totally useless soldier... but apart from that...

• Haha 6

No offense to those wearing facial hair , I do a little as well but isn't it a know fact that it promotes bacterial growth and can capture viruses quicker than no hair? Things that military don't need during the service ?

13 hours ago, Still Waters said:

Soldiers and officers are now allowed to grow beards while serving in the British Army.

The beards and moustaches must be neat, properly groomed and will be routinely checked.

The policy comes into immediate effect as the Army becomes the last of the armed forces to allow its personnel to grow beards.

The new directive follows years of discussion around the Army's policy on facial hair.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-68691987

Hair is cut short and beards are not allowed for a reason.

The enemy cannot grab them during combat.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, qxcontinuum said:

No offense to those wearing facial hair , I do a little as well but isn't it a know fact that it promotes bacterial growth and can capture viruses quicker than no hair? Things that military don't need during the service ?

The bigger issue is that facial hair can cause issues with gas masks, specifically in forming a perfect seal.  

Some militaries have always allowed various amounts and types of facial hair, if I remember correctly French sappers (combat engineers to most other militaries) have always been encouraged to have medium length well trimmed beards.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Only middle-aged and older men look distinguished with facial hair. Younger men having beards is slightly sinister. 

1 hour ago, man with breasts said:

slightly sinister. 

More like... extremely "douchy" from the sub-30 neck beards I've met 😆

• Like 1

The top reason the military cannot recruit enough soldiers is because of immigration.

A person will fight for themselves, their family, their community, and their nation. But when their country gets filled with immigrants they are no longer fighting for their own or own kind. Most people won`t risk their lives for Britain anymore.

We have a problem should a major war come because I suspect 90% of conscripts will refuse to be conscripted.