Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why Do Women Like Men With Dad Bods?

OverSword

4 hours ago, Piney said:

My wife loved the fact I worked out and competed in martial arts but hate chauvinism, played with flowers and plants, have stuffed animals, liked Peanuts and Pooh, played gently and babied our cats and did other "cute" things. But I learned my "man skills" from my stepmother and had 3 stepsisters who kept me in line and smacked me around when needed.

I noticed though guys I know who grew up between sisters don't suffer toxic masculinity and aren't chauvinist pigs. Even when they are into big time "man things" like competitive logging. 

It could possibly have something to do with our older sisters beating the stuffing out of us till that one magical day when enough became enough 😆 

I 100% agree, I've noticed that as well 👍

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@Kenemet Here is an article from Psychology today titled "Are Alpha Males a Myth or a Reality?

It says that in our society there is no true alpha male in the sense that there is in a pack of baboons but instead have renamed the type as "socially dominant" and then go on to list some of the common physical traits of these men.  I will say that the term alpha, as in describing one male that dominates all others is (too) obviously not real (and who would argue for that?) but there are definitely socially dominant males and females and there also are certainly type A and type B personalities.  A for Alpha and B for Beta.  The person you work for is almost certainly type A and the person that works for you is likely type B, would you agree to that distinction?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, joc said:

What?!  And expect a straight answer? Like to the question, do these jeans make my butt look fat? :P

White men have butts? 

Not according to my sisters.😜

• Haha 6

32 minutes ago, CrimsonKing said:

It could possibly have something to do with our older sisters beating the stuffing out of us till that one magical day when enough became enough 😆 

I 100% agree, I've noticed that as well 👍

And never, never, never try to break up a fight between them. They suddenly forget each other and kick the crap out of you. 

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, joc said:

Yeah, we call it sweat!;)

I think generally women ultimately want someone who is going to be there for them when they need it.  Helpers.  Dad bods are just what happens after the routine of paying all those bills starts to become a reality.  A lot of guys 'think' they are alpha males, but the one's who really are...really are...and it doesn't matter what their bod looks like...it's all a mental thing. 

Most badass guy I ever met in person was around 6 ft 160 lbs...

If you ever looked him in the eyes when shaking his hand, you would know it without ever having to be taught.

His handshake at 60 was like a pit grabbing ahold of your hand 😆

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Piney said:

And never, never, never try to break up a fight between them. They suddenly forget each other and kick the crap out of you. 

No damn doubt! 🤣 

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, CrimsonKing said:

Most badass guy I ever met in person was around 6 ft 160 lbs...

If you ever looked him in the eyes when shaking his hand, you would know it without ever having to be taught.

His handshake at 60 was like a pit grabbing ahold of your hand 😆

I'm 5'7" and 160 but people always go by my eyes. I cultivated this "murderous glare" for decades and when I turn it on I can clear a room. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Piney said:

I'm 5'7" and 160 but people always go by my eyes. I cultivated this "murderous glare" for decades and when I turn it on I can clear a room. 

A short stack I see.😁

• Haha 6

2 minutes ago, Piney said:

I've never had any doubts about that!

Doesn't hurt you spent 10 years learning from a SAS badass either,amongst other training 😆 

From a pic you posted years back with one of those big ass chainsaws,kinda had the crazy eyes going 😆 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, CrimsonKing said:

I've never had any doubts about that!

Doesn't hurt you spent 10 years learning from a SAS badass either,amongst other training 😆 

From a pic you posted years back with one of those big ass chainsaws,kinda had the crazy eyes going 😆 

He hired me because a group of MACV-SOG  badasses already did the training in the 80s. Half my childhood was RTI-SERE and playing with deadly things. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

39 minutes ago, Piney said:

You and me both. I'm 5'7" 135 pounds of delicate looking female. I cause men to stand up straighter and take a step back. I can even make a misbehaving, screaming and running toddler freeze in their tracks. When they regain the ability to move they run and hide behind mom or dad. 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

30 minutes ago, Piney said:

He hired me because a group of MACV-SOG  badasses already did the training in the 80s. Half my childhood was RTI-SERE and playing with deadly things. 

I grew up learning to play mumbly peg,shoot a rifle, learning to box,ect...

And looking back people think that was crazy... 😆 

You were over there building death traps 🤣

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, CrimsonKing said:

I grew up learning to play mumbly peg,shoot a rifle, learning to box,ect...

And looking back people think that was crazy... 😆 

You were over there building death traps 🤣

One of my stepdad's Green Beret mates taught us those when I was 12. 

Then my little sister and I blew up the dam on our irrigation reservoir. 

Mother was not pleased. 

• Haha 6

10 minutes ago, Piney said:

One of my stepdad's Green Beret mates taught us those when I was 12. 

Then my little sister and I blew up the dam on our irrigation reservoir. 

Mother was not pleased.

I bet not! 🤣 🤣🤣

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Guess I'm the boring one. All I did was build flamethrowers. Well a few other things, but I question mentioning them.

Edited by XenoFish
  • Haha 5

6 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Guess I'm the boring one. All I did was build flamethrowers. Well a few other things, but I question mentioning them.

Flamethrowers....fun and legal.

I almost built one out of one of the brass Indian tanks but was caught by mom and given a good beating with a snout twist, which is basically a axe handle with a chain on the end. 

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Piney said:

I almost built one out of one of the brass Indian tanks but was caught by mom and given a good beating with a snout twist, which is basically a axe handle with a chain on the end. 

For when the belt and the hickory just wouldn't do... troublemaker! 😆

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Piney said:

I've also made napalm and had a minor bong business in 11th grade. 

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, OverSword said:

@Kenemet Here is an article from Psychology today titled "Are Alpha Males a Myth or a Reality?

It says that in our society there is no true alpha male in the sense that there is in a pack of baboons but instead have renamed the type as "socially dominant" and then go on to list some of the common physical traits of these men.  I will say that the term alpha, as in describing one male that dominates all others is (too) obviously not real (and who would argue for that?) but there are definitely socially dominant males and females and there also are certainly type A and type B personalities.  A for Alpha and B for Beta.  The person you work for is almost certainly type A and the person that works for you is likely type B, would you agree to that distinction?

An interesting question.

I agree that there are socially dominant people in all social situations.  But I'm not a believer in "type A/type B personalities" -- judging from all the personality tests and theories I've read, not many people firmly believe in these "types" though they can be useful descriptors for some people.

I've worked for men who were competent and excellent leaders, who you might describe as "beta" -- my favorite boss was former military, served in Vietnam, was an officer, and yet was not what you'd call an "alpha."  Yet he commanded respect and our department ran smoothly.  I've seen an "alpha male" type get tossed into leadership and he just came apart at the seams... everything was chaotic, morale plummeted, etc.

These are sole examples in a universe of billions of people.

The article that you linked hints at some of my disagreement -- there's no "standard" about what makes this supposed "alpha male" across cultural and national lines.  Height, handsomeness, voice depth can make an attractive picture but that doesn't mean much.  Alfred Hitchcock was short, pudgy, and had a nice voice ... and bossed around many tall, handsome, deep-voiced men.  Ditto Napoleon (and if we wanted, we could come up with a nice collection of men who didn't fit the mold but who were definitely dominant people.)

We've also been culturally conditioned to accept certain things (speaking as a US citizen of European descent), but (to return to the original topic) our society is not so rigid that we have to blindly follow the pattern.  Tall, muscular men are often held up as the beauty standard but as you've seen, there's a lot of evidence that women prefer someone not quite so rock hard (the same also applies to genital length -- men's erotica often shows them extremely well endowed but as any woman who's had one of these men can attest, the experience can be very uncomfortable (and can even hurt considerably.))

Studies since the sixties have shown that women prefer gentler men (who are safer partners and are better with kids and a relationship where both parties are equal without rigid roles.)  Now they are finally asking us what we like visually.  Muscles are nice to look at, but give me a dad-bod any day!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, joc said:

What?!  And expect a straight answer? Like to the question, do these jeans make my butt look fat? :P

Uh...ah... gosh, those are nice jeans!

• Haha 3

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Kenemet said:

the same also applies to genital length

The average is between 5.5" and 6", pron (purposefully misspelled) is a terrible way to see reality. It gives a screwed up sense of how things are supposed to be, with people who are 99% silicone and medically altered. 

Edited by XenoFish
Caffeine withdrawal is a cognitive pain in the synapses.
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, XenoFish said:

I've also made napalm and had a minor bong business in 11th grade. 

Good gad!  You guys are a handful!

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Michelle said:

I cause men to stand up straighter and take a step back.

The better to punch you in the head perhaps? ;)

• Haha 2

Just now, Kenemet said:

Good gad!  You guys are a handful!

About the only way I can figure out this alpha male thing is for all the guys in the thread to grab our clubs, spears, and stone knives, have it out once and for all. 😆

3 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

About the only way I can figure out this alpha male thing is for all the guys in the thread to grab our clubs, spears, and stone knives, have it out once and for all. 😆

Anchorman style.

2A312CCE-7301-4304-8B27-D1A711DBB56C.jpeg

• Haha 3