Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Revisiting God Constructs


Sherapy

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, Guyver said:

Did you just hear yourself talking?  I mean, seriously.  How is anyone supposed to answer that?  What a pile of BS.

Guyver, 
 

“What fundamental qualities or attributes of traditional God constructs are facing scrutiny or disbelief to you in modern times, and why do you think these beliefs no longer hold up or do hold up? “
 

All thoughts are welcome too.

I’m thinking a few days away from UM is a good choice right now. All you are doing is flame baiting. I think you’re better and smarter than this. 
 

 

  • Thanks 6
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Will Due said:

 

Perfection isn't subjective. It's absolute. It's complete. Look up its definition in a dictionary. 

 

 

Can you give examples of how perfection is absolute. Thanks

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Guyver said:

  One of guitarists looks like a leprechaun, and the other like is small version of mummified pirate.  

That's true!  :D   (speaking as a big fan of the E Street Band)

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Essan said:

That's true!  :D   (speaking as a big fan of the E Street Band)

Essen, Next time just pm him I’d like to get the thread back on track.. Thanks 

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Thank God the ignore function works. 

:clap:

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, cormac mac airt said:

That’s not remotely what she said and you’d know that if you hadn’t been drunk posting again. The fact that Will is agreeing with everything you say ought to give you pause as well since he rarely ever agrees with anything unless it’s what he wants to hear. 
 

cormac

 

48 minutes ago, cormac mac airt said:

That’s not remotely what she said and you’d know that if you hadn’t been drunk posting again. The fact that Will is agreeing with everything you say ought to give you pause as well since he rarely ever agrees with anything unless it’s what he wants to hear. 
 

cormac

Will looks for any opportunity to flame bait that he can egging on drunk Guyver is a given for him. :P

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The attribute of a traditional god that might come under scrutiny is the creator function IMO.  We might cling to intelligent design for a while, but experience with the universe might lead us to the idea  that the functioning of the universe as probability set up the constants is sufficient for evolving matter and even life. Purpose is the hardest thing to let go of now that I think of it.  Maybe the universe doesn't need the awareness of a creator.   That makes humans and their sense of purpose rather unnecessary(?)

I really like Xeno's imagery of those temporary bubbles of focus springing out of the universal godhood.  Demigods for sure, but why not humans too?  Maybe we are transient awareness bubbles that arise and then merge back into the whole, as randomly as the bubbles in your glass of ginger ale, predictable in the general laws of physics, but random on an individual basis.  Of course, maybe I have twisted Xeno's concept a bit too far.  

But I like it enough to filk the Kansas song, sung to the tune of "Dust in the Wind."

Don't hang on,

Nothing lasts forever, neither earth nor sky

They slip away 

And all you self-importance won't another minute buy.

Bubbles in the foam.

All we are is bubbles in the foam.

  • Like 5
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
On 3/29/2024 at 1:09 PM, Sherapy said:


What fundamental qualities or attributes of traditional God constructs are facing scrutiny or disbelief to you in modern times, and why do you think these beliefs no longer hold up or do hold up? 
 

All thoughts welcome.

 

I’ll try again…   All of them.?   What have been long held fundamental beliefs in qualities and attributes of traditional God constructs ,and religions, are being questioned more and more  in modern times.   ?   Or that’s how it seems to me anyway.    (I tried to answer why in my first post).        

Edited by lightly
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Sherapy said:

Guyver, 
 

“What fundamental qualities or attributes of traditional God constructs are facing scrutiny or disbelief to you in modern times, and why do you think these beliefs no longer hold up or do hold up? “
 

All thoughts are welcome too.

I’m thinking a few days away from UM is a good choice right now. All you are doing is flame baiting. I think you’re better and smarter than this. 
 

 

Sorry…I was having issues again.  You’re right, I overreacted.  I was wrong, you were right.  Your OP was worded correctly, I misread it.  You are smart, I am dumb.  You are good looking, I am not a handsome man, you win, I lose.  Forgive me. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, Guyver said:

You are smart, I am dumb.  You are good looking, I am not a handsome man, you win, I lose.  Forgive me. 

Now your getting outta hand. 

I'm the ugly one in this **** show and John could haunt houses. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, Guyver said:

Sorry…I was having issues again.  You’re right, I overreacted.  I was wrong, you were right.  Your OP was worded correctly, I misread it.  You are smart, I am dumb.  You are good looking, I am not a handsome man, you win, I lose.  Forgive me. 

Thank you for the apology. I am sorry you are having issues you can always talk to us about it. Maybe have Susan lock you out of UM just when you drink. 🙏🏼

Your forgiven. 

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Piney said:

Now your getting outta hand. 

I'm the ugly one in this **** show and John could haunt houses. 

No one is ugly least of all you or John or Guyver. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Guyver said:

I’ll tell you what, I don’t know that much, I’m really not much of an expert in anything, although…I have done a lot of things…here’s what I know.  There is something.  

I have done a lot of things…here’s what I know  think.  There is something.  

Fixed that for you!  You make a huge mistake thinking that what you think is knowledge.  Knowledge IS what we know.  And what we know is provable.  You are confusing your beliefs with knowledge.

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Guyver said:

I would like to revisit a God concept.  The Bible says that drunkards go to hell, but…I am a little bit of a drunkard, and I have recently experienced something either spiritual, or like what God would be.  I have a pile of evidence staring me in the face that cannot be explained by mere coincidence or luck.  So….whatever.  Happy life.

You are not a little bit of a drunkard.  That's like being a little bit pregnant.  

What is actually being discussed here are concepts not beliefs.  Two different things. One more thing.  I like you, but if you talk to your wife the way you talked to Sheri...no wonder you have problems.

  • Thanks 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

The attribute of a traditional god that might come under scrutiny is the creator function IMO.  We might cling to intelligent design for a while, but experience with the universe might lead us to the idea  that the functioning of the universe as probability set up the constants is sufficient for evolving matter and even life. Purpose is the hardest thing to let go of now that I think of it.  Maybe the universe doesn't need the awareness of a creator.   That makes humans and their sense of purpose rather unnecessary(?)

I really like Xeno's imagery of those temporary bubbles of focus springing out of the universal godhood.  Demigods for sure, but why not humans too?  Maybe we are transient awareness bubbles that arise and then merge back into the whole, as randomly as the bubbles in your glass of ginger ale, predictable in the general laws of physics, but random on an individual basis.  Of course, maybe I have twisted Xeno's concept a bit too far.  

But I like it enough to filk the Kansas song, sung to the tune of "Dust in the Wind."

Don't hang on,

Nothing lasts forever, neither earth nor sky

They slip away 

And all you self-importance won't another minute buy.

Bubbles in the foam.

All we are is bubbles in the foam.

I think about things like that whenever I open a bottle of champagne...once a year...but actually..all we are is dust in the wind.  We were made from Star Dust.  Literally!

And we know that.  But from the beginning up until the last few decades we didn't really know that.  So, man's ever wondering mind created myths and legends of myths.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Guyver said:

You are smart, I am dumb.

Hey my friend. On a serious note:

no, you're not dumb. You're a great musician & your son is a phenomenal guitar player- 
dumb people do not rear amazing talent like that- you just drink too much! Same as me years ago!

Pints of beer were my vice= bulk drinking. I overcome it by drinking Shandy.

Even though it's not the taste & feeling you want after the first pint- psychologically you know you're drinking alcohol.

I'm  at the stage now (when I do drink that is) of half water, quarter lemonade & the rest beer.

When I drink I can bulk drink 12 pints of liquid & then after hours of drinking realize I've actually only drunk three cans all night. The equivalent for you WILL work my friend,, trust me.

Peace, Guyver...

Dej.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Guyver said:

Sorry…I was having issues again.  You’re right, I overreacted.  I was wrong, you were right.  Your OP was worded correctly, I misread it.  You are smart, I am dumb.  You are good looking, I am not a handsome man, you win, I lose.  Forgive me. 

I've seen your picture, dude; you do just fine in the looks department. You're certainly not a morbidly obese drunkard like Will.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, joc said:

You are not a little bit of a drunkard.  That's like being a little bit pregnant.  

What is actually being discussed here are concepts not beliefs.  Two different things. One more thing.  I like you, but if you talk to your wife the way you talked to Sheri...no wonder you have problems.

Thank you. 🙏🏼

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Piney said:

Now your getting outta hand. 

I'm the ugly one in this **** show and John could haunt houses. 

I'm dead sexy.😁

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/29/2024 at 3:09 PM, Sherapy said:

The focus is on critically examining why established religious notions of God are encountering scrutiny or resistance in today's society, participants are encouraged to engage in a thoughtful exploration of the changing landscape of faith, spirituality, and religious identity.

I think a primary reason is because times have changed.  Knowledge has increased.  As many know, my grandfather was a preacher, old time religion, minister, always visiting member in the hospital, in their homes.  And he was a very good preacher...his sermons were from his heart.  Not from a book he read.  

Those times are gone.  Church today is all the same...it doesn't matter which church you go to, (with the possible exception of Quakers :) ),  there is a large screen where videos are played.  Hymnals are a thing of the past...everyone looks at a screen to see the words of the songs they don't really know because everything is a diddy hymn of sorts.  Closeups of the Music Leaders, which for the most part is a full band of very talented musicians who seem to be so joyous and humbled to sing and lead the congregation in the singing thereof.  And from what I have seen, most sermons are an attempt to shore up the base and get the congregation to know that what they believe is the truth.  As one preacher put it (way to often) Do you know that you know that you know?

Meanwhile, the larger churches have multi-million dollar annual budgets, of which they pay zero tax.  No ministering...no passing of the plate.  Just a link to tithe.  It is all very fake.  Nothing like the days of my grandfather.  And so as a result, I think a lot of people are not entertained by that and are questioning more and more the fabric of why they believe what they believe.  The hypocrisy of millionaire pastors, and thousands of dollars every Sunday on flowers, etc.  And I have to decide do I really want to by that Hydrangea at Home Depot for twenty bucks?

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

I'm dead sexy.😁

Have you tried Viagra?

  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

why not humans too? 

That might fall in to asking our ancestors for help? Maybe. I mean there are also prophets and so called divine inspiration. 

8 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

Maybe we are transient awareness bubbles that arise and then merge back into the whole, as randomly as the bubbles in your glass of ginger ale, predictable in the general laws of physics, but random on an individual basis.  Of course, maybe I have twisted Xeno's concept a bit too far.  

Interesting idea. Perhaps a collective unconscious is real and we're the "bubbles" of awareness....

Edit: everyone we know is just a fragment of that person. We hold in our minds a concept of them. A thoughtform or idea of who we think they are. Could be the same for the gods? I might be over thinking.

Edited by XenoFish
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

I'm dead sexy.😁

Being dead sexy is good...I will even be sexy dead! B) 

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, joc said:

Being dead sexy is good...I will even be sexy dead! B) 

Glam zombies.😆

Well, back on topic.

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.