Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Shocking Extent of Cyberbullying Among Kids Revealed in Major Report

Grim Reaper 6

Some 16 percent of children aged 11 to 15 were cyberbullied in 2022, up from 13 percent four years ago, a WHO Europe report covering 44 countries said on Wednesday. "This report is a wake-up call for all of us to address bullying and violence, whenever and wherever it happens," WHO regional director for Europe Hans Kluge said in a statementFifteen percent of boys and 16 percent of girls reported being cyberbullied at least once in recent months, according to the study, entitled "Health Behaviour in School-aged Children".

Shocking Extent of Cyberbullying Among Kids Revealed in Major Report : ScienceAlert

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

😔

• Thanks 1

it's a simple solution IMO....make it law= can't use the internet until you're 16/ 18 whatever.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dejarma said:

it's a simple solution IMO....make it law= can't use the internet until you're 16/ 18 whatever.

That or at least monitor them until they are mature enough as the parent. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, Scholar4Truth said:

'That' IMO is the solution--- monitoring is 'supposed??' to be what parents are doing now, isn't it!?

Edit to add:

I may of misread your point--- do you mean it's up to parents when it's time for their kids to get on the internet? if so then yes, i agree, good point, might work

Edited by Dejarma
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Scholar4Truth said:

Who will monitor the parents?   Many of them are ill mannered cyber bullies themselves??

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, lightly said:

Who will monitor the parents?   Many of them are ill mannered cyber bullies themselves??

yep of course, also a good point of which i agree-- i'll stick with my original opinion on this:

make it law= can't use the internet until you're 16/ 18 whatever.

Rules, laws & regs:

You can be an American soldier under 21 on the front line, witnessing 'first hand' the worst extreme things humans can do to each other.

Yet when you get back home you can't legally drink a beer!? Fascinating, is it not?

57 minutes ago, Dejarma said:

'That' IMO is the solution--- monitoring is 'supposed??' to be what parents are doing now, isn't it!?

Edit to add:

I may of misread your point--- do you mean it's up to parents when it's time for their kids to get on the internet? if so then yes, i agree, good point, might work

Yes and or at least teach them the proper use of it. 

The parents are the role models for their children, and children learn from what they observe.

If people stay silent when they see abuse etc., then it will often continue.

Freedom of speech cannot work without responsibility - so respectful and constructive dialogue is importnat because words have power.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, LightAngel said:

The parents are the role models for their children, and children learn from what they observe.

If people stay silent when they see abuse etc., then it will often continue.

Freedom of speech cannot work without responsibility - so respectful and constructive dialogue is importnat because words have power.

all due respect but you haven't suggested a fix for the problem this thread is referring to..... IMO 😉

New media requires to learn new skills to deal with the new media. That was true when the printing press was invented it is true now.

The issue is as with everything how much of what you consume, the issue is that people think 'the internet' is more important and/or more real than real life. Because it is more easily accessible I guess than IRL just being with friends they play Lord Of The Flies online, with help from groups preying on them.

WaPo article that shows it is actually way worse

They coerced her into carving their screen names deep into her thigh, drinking from a toilet bowl and beheading a pet hamster — all as they watched in a video chatroom on the social media platform Discord.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Dejarma said:

all due respect but you haven't suggested a fix for the problem this thread is referring to..... IMO 😉

If you read between the lines, then my answer is right there.

But I don't mind, explaining this to you.

We all have a responsibility here, so it is important that we all do our best to stop abuse whenever we see it! 

I don't think we can have a functional democracy if people are being silenced - if people are afraid to share their thoughts because they will be abused if they do - then freedom is lost.

Again, freedom of speech cannot work without responsibility - so respectful and constructive dialogue is important because words have power.

Democracy is better than dictatorship, but we should never take our democracy for granted because we can lose it if we aren't careful.

To explain this in an uncomplicated way - we should always have the right to agree to disagree.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Turn off the computer and go touch grass. Problem solved.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

People, including children, say things to each other…on-line, that they would never say face to face.   Easy to be an invisible or anonymous ‘tuff guy’ from a safe distance?  Or many other varieties of JERK.   People have always had the peculiar notion that they are elevated by putting some else down… the opposite is true.   People are competitive by nature? ..most of that energy is expelled in a meaningless quest for SELF glorification!       What doth it profit a man to gain an unlimited data plan…and looseth his own soul?  :P   Kids mental and emotional growth are severely stunted by the hours spent daily in cyber- world.   Old men like me…waste their time in it …for laughs.:lol: people are much funnier than they realize!* :P 🥰

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, lightly said:

People, including children, say things to each other…on-line, that they would never say face to face.   Easy to be an invisible or anonymous ‘tuff guy’ from a safe distance?  Or many other varieties of JERK.   People have always had the peculiar notion that they are elevated by putting some else down… the opposite is true.

Indeed.

Sensitivity is a sign of strength and authenticity because it takes courage to embrace our emotions and treat others with kindness. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, LightAngel said:

Indeed.

Sensitivity is a sign of strength and authenticity because it takes courage to embrace our emotions and treat others with kindness. 

Sensitivity is a sign of weakness and emotional incontinence. You're actually thinking sympathy. Being emotionally sensitivity just shows a lack of inner strength. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Sensitivity is a sign of weakness and emotional incontinence. You're actually thinking sympathy. Being emotionally sensitivity just shows a lack of inner strength. 

Nope, I disagree.

You are also sensitive, and being sensitive requires immense strength. It involves vulnerability, empathy, and the ability to connect with others on a deeper level.

On the other hand, being cold or emotionally distant might seem like a protective mechanism, but it can also be a defense against vulnerability. It takes effort to suppress feelings, build walls, and distance us from others.

However, this approach can lead to isolation and a lack of genuine connections.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, LightAngel said:

Nope, I disagree.

You are also sensitive, and being sensitive requires immense strength. It involves vulnerability, empathy, and the ability to connect with others on a deeper level.

On the other hand, being cold or emotionally distant might seem like a protective mechanism, but it can also be a defense against vulnerability. It takes effort to suppress feelings, build walls, and distance us from others.

However, this approach can lead to isolation and a lack of genuine connections.

Being sensitive is why people are affected by cyber bullying. They wear their emotions on their shoulder. Not having developed the ability to let things go. All of which comes down to poor self-regulation. Sympathy is the results of experience and understanding. Everyone needs a strong level of psychic (psychological) defense. Emotion regulation isn't about suppressing it's about controlling. Suppression and repression are just as damaging as being hyper sensitive. Thus having greater emotional regulation is better. Same applies to inner strength. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thread cleaned

Let's not make things personal.

• Thanks 1

Here in Denmark, we now have laws against psychological violence - It can result in fines or imprisonment for up to three years.

About children - I think it is important to teach them to have healthy boundaries because there are people who will try to use and abuse them through lies and manipulation.

I think this should be a topic in school - their parents have the biggest responsibility of course, but not all parents have the knowledge and tools to guide their children the right way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 4/6/2024 at 2:39 AM, LightAngel said:

If you read between the lines, then my answer is right there.

But I don't mind, explaining this to you.

We all have a responsibility here, so it is important that we all do our best to stop abuse whenever we see it! 

I don't think we can have a functional democracy if people are being silenced - if people are afraid to share their thoughts because they will be abused if they do - then freedom is lost.

Again, freedom of speech cannot work without responsibility - so respectful and constructive dialogue is important because words have power.

Democracy is better than dictatorship, but we should never take our democracy for granted because we can lose it if we aren't careful.

To explain this in an uncomplicated way - we should always have the right to agree to disagree.

For some reason, I have always been able to read between your lines. :)

Abuse is abuse and if it is witnessed it should be reported.  Otherwise, those who don't speak out about it are de facto abusers themselves.  Fear is the great mind killer.  I have been verbally abused by at least two separate women in the parking lot of a grocery store because I dared speak.  One little girl ran all the way across the parking lot...probably 4 or 5.  I just simply advised the young mother that she should always hold her kid's hand while crossing the parking lot.   She let me have it with both barrels telling me to mind my own blanking business.  Another time a young mother was leaving her 3 kids, one an infant, in a running car with the AC on  and the windows rolled up, while she shopped.  I told her she couldn't do that.  I told her it was against the law to do that.  She said, what are you going to do, call the police?  I said, Yes Ma'am.  I most certainly will.  She cursed me up one side and down the other as she dragged a 6 year old girl, a 9 year old  boy and her infant into the grocery store.  It wasn't easy for me to speak up, and I didn't want to.  But we have to have the courage to do what's right. With our own kids, and other's if necessary. 

Edited by joc
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 4/5/2024 at 2:57 PM, Dejarma said:

So no streaming movies or music, no playing video games online, no remote learning, etc?  The result would be any nation that takes your measure will fall behind in IT. 

Let's get real here for a second, who did not experience being bullied as a child?  At some point I would say more than 16% of us were probably on both sides of that experience to some extent.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, OverSword said:

bullied as a child?

I'm a ginger so it comes with the hair color.

48 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

I'm a ginger so it comes with the hair color.

You deserved it ;)

• Haha 1