Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Molly the magpie: Australia debates seizure of Insta-famous bird

Still Waters

An Australian state premier has backed a campaign to return an Instagram-famous magpie to its human carers after it was seized by wildlife authorities.

The bird, dubbed Molly, was rescued as a chick by a Queensland couple and formed an unlikely bond with their bull terrier, Peggy.

More than two million people follow a "Peggy and Molly" profile online.

Queensland's leader Steven Miles says Molly should be reunited with the family, contradicting state officials.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-68681256

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Still Waters said:

An Australian state premier has backed a campaign to return an Instagram-famous magpie to its human carers after it was seized by wildlife authorities.

The bird, dubbed Molly, was rescued as a chick by a Queensland couple and formed an unlikely bond with their bull terrier, Peggy.

More than two million people follow a "Peggy and Molly" profile online.

Queensland's leader Steven Miles says Molly should be reunited with the family, contradicting state officials.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-68681256

I remember you posted about this animal friendship before.

I even saved the pics, but can't find them right now.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I hate these do gooders, the maggie was quite happy obviously to be bonded with the staffies, it's not like they are endangered and need to be part of a breeding population. My dogs and cats accept the magpies who will sit just above at feeding time and finish off the leftover pet food but if they try and steal it they're toast, lol.

• Like 4

Couple behind magpie Molly issue warning as fans campaign to reunite her with dog best friend

A petition calling for Molly to be returned has now gathered more than 110,000 signatures

They said that there have been some pages which are posing as fundraisers but which are not actually connected to them.

The couple said if there is 'any fundraiser asking for money' then 'do not donate', as 'this is not us'.

The pair have also called on people advocating for them to not harass anyone who is saying that Molly should not be allowed back.

They said: “We have no idea why this small group of people have done this."

https://www.unilad.com/news/world-news/molly-magpie-dog-peggy-campaign-couple-warning-australia-653210-20240329

17 hours ago, Abramelin said:

I remember you posted about this animal friendship before.

I even saved the pics, but can't find them right now.

Did I? I don't remember, it must have been a while back. Nothing came up when I searched.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Still Waters said:

Did I? I don't remember, it must have been a while back. Nothing came up when I searched.

Hmm... Maybe it was Eldorado, or Grim Reaper.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Abramelin said:

Hmm... Maybe it was Eldorado, or Grim Reaper.

It should have still come up on the site search though, unless it was too long ago.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Still Waters said:

It should have still come up on the site search though, unless it was too long ago.

This is one of the photos :

Screenshot_20240401-161600_Firefox.jpg.696ab6ccacacc8d26b82199c2cc9818e.jpg

Oh well, maybe I was mistaken.

Edited by Abramelin
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Abramelin said:

This is one of the photos :

Oh well, maybe I was mistaken.

It looks like the image has come from this 2020 Daily Mail article:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8988469/Staffy-named-Peggy-rescues-dying-magpie-producing-milk-new-friend.html

Our topic search function doesn't go back to 2020.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Still Waters said:

It looks like the image has come from this 2020 Daily Mail article:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8988469/Staffy-named-Peggy-rescues-dying-magpie-producing-milk-new-friend.html

Our topic search function doesn't go back to 2020.

It's indeed from the Daily Mail.

Maybe someone posted these photos in a status update. But that wasn't that long ago. More like weeks than years ago.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/2/2024 at 3:04 AM, Abramelin said:

It's indeed from the Daily Mail.

Maybe someone posted these photos in a status update. But that wasn't that long ago. More like weeks than years ago.

I might have randomly posted a pic. I've been following this story.

My favourite pic is this one

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS_XoJOfmx5SebDibH6MFR

Followed closely by this one:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR4jp6krdrLG79-pUmMS07

An amazing friendship.

We have lots of Maggie's. They don't mind the dog but the give chickens a hard time. The chickens keep running inside to get away. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, psyche101 said:

I might have randomly posted a pic. I've been following this story.

My favourite pic is this one

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS_XoJOfmx5SebDibH6MFR

Followed closely by this one:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR4jp6krdrLG79-pUmMS07

An amazing friendship.

We have lots of Maggie's. They don't mind the dog but the give chickens a hard time. The chickens keep running inside to get away. 

Dude that is so cool thanks very much for sharing!!:tu:

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Grim Reaper 6 said:

Dude that is so cool thanks very much for sharing!!:tu:

It's really something isn't it. 

It's an incredible friendship. My dog plays with the Maggie's but nothing to that extent. 

Once she caught one. Pounced right over top of an unsuspecting magpie that abruptly flew away. She seemed disappointed that she didn't get a turn to get caught lol. She loves playing with them. Never hurt a feather on one though. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, psyche101 said:

It's really something isn't it. 

It's an incredible friendship. My dog plays with the Maggie's but nothing to that extent. 

Once she caught one. Pounced right over top of an unsuspecting magpie that abruptly flew away. She seemed disappointed that she didn't get a turn to get caught lol. She loves playing with them. Never hurt a feather on one though. 

That is wonderful, you have a great dog!!!!!:tu: When I was young my dad purchased a 50% Wolf and 50% German Shepard for me as my first dog. We had a fenced in back yard and a Rabbit would run along the fence and tease my Dog. One day I let him out and the Rabbit was in the back yard. Well, Rex went after him and the Rabbit tried to go back through the fence and got stuck.

Well, I though the Rabbit was history, but Rex ran over too it and was whining. So, I went  and got the Rabbit free and it ran off. I was very surprised that Rex didn't kill it, especially since he was half Wolf. Anyway Rex was a great dog too, he was very mellow, the only time he would growl was if someone touched me, other than that kids could grab his tail, his ears, or climb all over him. When he got tired of it he would just walk away man, best dam Dog I ever had!!!!!

• Like 3

Can't help myself.

Love my companion. She's the best.

IMG_20210420_064724_compress48.thumb.jpg.5fc483d8d7c6b44223faf488a341b39e.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1