Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'Arrest me!': JK Rowling challenges Scotland's new hate crime laws

pellinore

Posted (edited)

JK Rowling has unleashed her fury at Scotland's new hate crime law which could see people arrested for using a transgender person's wrong pronouns.

The Harry Potter author, and prominent gender critic, posted a string of tweets on X where she sarcastically urged her followers to respect 'lovely Scottish lass' Isla Bryson - a convicted double rapist.

In another, she ridiculed the new legislation by referring to Katie Dolatowski, a transgender paedophile who assaulted children in supermarket toilets, as 'fragile flower' who was 'rightly sent to a women's prison in Scotland'.

The excoriating blast comes hours after the Scottish Government's Hate Crime and Public Order bill, which comes into force today, will criminalise threatening  behaviour that stirs up hatred against people because of their characteristics.

'Arrest me!': JK Rowling challenges Scotland's new hate crime laws sarcastically urging followers to respect 'lovely Scottish lass' convicted double rapist Isla Bryson's pronouns and 'Fragile flower' sex attacker Katie Dolatowski in excoriating blast | Daily Mail Online

Edited by Saru
Removed embedded Tweets due to explicit references - can be viewed via source link
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 5
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

👍

• Like 2

Will this also impact television schedules because the contents of most films and sitcoms could easily be interpreted or misinterpreted without understanding the context and era they were set in and the generation they were made for e g.  I noticed that itv traditionally put on all of the Carry On films over Easter every year, but this year they decided to air none of them.  A sign of the changing times I guess.

"Trans activists are the worst people in the world and they deserve everything that comes their way. But instead of the rape and death threats favoured by their side, our side’s tools are derision and contempt for their parroted opinions, of which there are only about six"

https://www.spiked-online.com/2024/04/01/why-arent-i-more-afraid-of-scotlands-hate-crime-act/

• Like 2

16 hours ago, pellinore said:

JK Rowling has unleashed her fury at Scotland's new hate crime law which could see people arrested for using a transgender person's wrong pronouns.

The Harry Potter author, and prominent gender critic, posted a string of tweets on X where she sarcastically urged her followers to respect 'lovely Scottish lass' Isla Bryson - a convicted double rapist.

In another, she ridiculed the new legislation by referring to Katie Dolatowski, a transgender paedophile who assaulted children in supermarket toilets, as 'fragile flower' who was 'rightly sent to a women's prison in Scotland'.

The excoriating blast comes hours after the Scottish Government's Hate Crime and Public Order bill, which comes into force today, will criminalise threatening  behaviour that stirs up hatred against people because of their characteristics.

'Arrest me!': JK Rowling challenges Scotland's new hate crime laws sarcastically urging followers to respect 'lovely Scottish lass' convicted double rapist Isla Bryson's pronouns and 'Fragile flower' sex attacker Katie Dolatowski in excoriating blast | Daily Mail Online

T=(LG)(9*BS)3+(pronouns)

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, pellinore said:

Wow she is an angry person. 

Quite a few female murders, so by the same token I'd assume her waves of vitriol painting an entire group by the bad people in that group means she's a potential murderer. She illustrated some bad people. Sure, horrible people, they have and deserve no defence. She should probably go after the largest group of child sex offenders if that was her primary concern though. Although parents often fear that strangers will abuse their children, it has been well-documented that most child sex offenders are known to their victims. She's not vocal on that aspect. Not seeing tweets that biological males who identify ad male are the greatest threat. She identifies as Christian too but I don't remember a barrage of Cardinal Pell tweets. 

Poking the bear like this will bite her on the bum eventually.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, psyche101 said:

She's not vocal on that aspect.

she probably doesn't feel like she needs to be since the only people who disagree have been driven to the shadows of society. is this also the case with the issues she has been more vocal about?

3 hours ago, DayoOlabisi said:

she probably doesn't feel like she needs to be since the only people who disagree have been driven to the shadows of society. is this also the case with the issues she has been more vocal about?

Have they now?

How many child sex offenders has the Vatican harboured again? How many church groups decide to handle the matter themselves? 

The people she supposedly exposed are largely in the same group. Driven to the shadows of society. Failed human beings. All she pointed out was more aspects of society than we like to think have an abuse problem. It's a people thing, not specifically a trans thing. They aren't by any means the most prominent group of abusers. 

• Like 6

If a trans men wants to be she , fine with me or viceversa. Zeirs,  zem, it, zit or **** is a no for me. This is all a fantasy .

If the day this ridiculous law gets extended to Canada , I'll be known as: periferigerilaryminiginilenigranymanyfannymanowomenawr

. Whomever does not address me as such goes to jail.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, psyche101 said:

Have they now?

How many child sex offenders has the Vatican harboured again? How many church groups decide to handle the matter themselves? 

The people she supposedly exposed are largely in the same group. Driven to the shadows of society. Failed human beings. All she pointed out was more aspects of society than we like to think have an abuse problem. It's a people thing, not specifically a trans thing. They aren't by any means the most prominent group of abusers. 

not many people are saying "actually we should celebrate child sex offenders". some are beginning to with the MAP movement. but so far, rhetoric against child abusers isn't met with legal challenges. rhetoric against anti-feminism is a battleground right now. that's the environment she's operating in.

Edited by DayoOlabisi
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
On 4/2/2024 at 9:17 AM, psyche101 said:

Quite a few female murders, so by the same token I'd assume her waves of vitriol painting an entire group by the bad people in that group means she's a potential murderer. She illustrated some bad people. Sure, horrible people, they have and deserve no defence. She should probably go after the largest group of child sex offenders if that was her primary concern though. Although parents often fear that strangers will abuse their children, it has been well-documented that most child sex offenders are known to their victims. She's not vocal on that aspect. Not seeing tweets that biological males who identify ad male are the greatest threat. She identifies as Christian too but I don't remember a barrage of Cardinal Pell tweets. 

Poking the bear like this will bite her on the bum eventually.

I can see your point, but I can also see hers:

High street retailers are allowing men to use their female changing rooms – so long as they say they identify as women.

An investigation by The Mail on Sunday has found that shops, including luxury retailers, will welcome men into traditional female spaces if they do so.

A 6ft-tall male reporter with a beard, who said he identified as woman, was given permission to use fitting rooms in the female sections of stores including Selfridges, Matalan, Uniqlo and even the lingerie brand Agent Provocateur’s concession in Harrods.

Bearded 6ft reporter told he can use female changing rooms after saying he identifies as a woman | Daily Mail Online

I realise this reporter is being deliberately provocative, but if a man had a strong desire to spend time in female changing rooms (there are such men, witness *******ers, men who hang around schools) if the legal right to remove is taken away, I'm not sure what to think.

Also, I think women have had a raw deal for years, and still do (take Afghanistan, for instance) due to patriarchy. Now, it seems men are determined to rob them of what they have gained. (A female sports woman trains for years, then a transwoman enters the competition at the last moment as gets all the awards.)

Edited by pellinore
  • Like 3

Imagine if Cosmo Smallpiece was allowed in the girl's changing room!

Or allowed to read is own interpretation of Harry Potter!

I appreciate her stance and I hope a movement develops to change these ridiculous laws.  I have no desire to harm or even to intentionally insult a person in that category but I also have no plans to be forced to play into their diagnosis.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, DayoOlabisi said:

not many people are saying "actually we should celebrate child sex offenders". some are beginning to with the MAP movement. but so far, rhetoric against child abusers isn't met with legal challenges. rhetoric against anti-feminism is a battleground right now. that's the environment she's operating in.

She targetted pedophiles. It's in the link. 

But she only cares about trans pedophiles because it makes headlines. Do you honestly believe there is no personal angle there? 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, pellinore said:

I can see your point, but I can also see hers:

I don't know mate, I think she's just got a real nasty streak in her. I get the impression that she is getting off on the attention and the attacks.

High street retailers are allowing men to use their female changing rooms – so long as they say they identify as women.

An investigation by The Mail on Sunday has found that shops, including luxury retailers, will welcome men into traditional female spaces if they do so.

A 6ft-tall male reporter with a beard, who said he identified as woman, was given permission to use fitting rooms in the female sections of stores including Selfridges, Matalan, Uniqlo and even the lingerie brand Agent Provocateur’s concession in Harrods.

Bearded 6ft reporter told he can use female changing rooms after saying he identifies as a woman | Daily Mail Online

I read the link. The store assistants he put on the spot were clearly nervous. I can't rule out an element of intimidation simply through stature. The headline is exaggerated.

I don't really understand anyway. All the change rooms I've been in are unisex cubicles. Surely more expensive stores don't have communal changing rooms. If they do, it's a real wonder that it hasn't been complained about before just with women all herded into one room. 

I realise this reporter is being deliberately provocative, but if a man had a strong desire to spend time in female changing rooms (there are such men, witness *******ers, men who hang around schools) if the legal right to remove is taken away, I'm not sure what to think.

As I've pointed out, that's not the immediate threat though. She goes to church but doesn't have the same passion for churches hiding molesters, she doesn't have anything to say about family members being the largest abusers as well as the largest group of domestic violence offenders. They too are women's biggest abusers as well as the largest group of molesters. This is personal. She should just be honest about it. 

Also, I think women have had a raw deal for years, and still do (take Afghanistan, for instance) due to patriarchy. Now, it seems men are determined to rob them of what they have gained. (A female sports woman trains for years, then a transwoman enters the competition at the last moment as gets all the awards.)

Theocracy has that effect. The globe plays cricket with Afghanistan. I thought that strange but things are what they are. 

I don't subscribe to the trans sports BS. The Lia Thomas meme has been debunked by GD with the official records and I've posted the one study done regarding actual female athletes opinions who supported trans women in sports as a majority. If the majority of female athletes are good with it, that's enough for me. They are actually competing, they aren't some old bald Maga crank behind a computer with a beer. They are who tend to start the rants. And post the incorrect meme. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, psyche101 said:

Theocracy has that effect. The globe plays cricket with Afghanistan. I thought that strange but things are what they are. 

Afghanistan was a bad example of patriarchy I know. I was just giving examples of women losing out.

I don't know mate, I think she's just got a real nasty streak in her. I get the impression that she is getting off on the attention and the attacks.

I'm not sure. She's had plenty of attention since the success of HP.

I don't subscribe to the trans sports BS. The Lia Thomas meme has been debunked by GD with the official records and I've posted the one study done regarding actual female athletes opinions who supported trans women in sports as a majority. If the majority of female athletes are good with it, that's enough for me. 

I'm pretty sure the majority of professional athletes (which includes Olympic ones) aren't happy at all. Medals means sponsorship and money, with a big difference between being the best in the world and being second best.

They are actually competing, they aren't some old bald Maga crank behind a computer with a beer. They are who tend to start the rants. And post the incorrect meme. 

I get the culture wars. But there are plenty of examples of amateur football teams, etc, showing a trans member who is twice the height and weight of the others and their competitors. It is undeniable that most men are bigger and heavier than women. There is a real risk of injury to the smaller person in a collision in a contact sport.

I think trans people should accept the lottery of life. A fat, dumpy, plain girl is not going to get the lead role in 'Barbie' however much she identifies as Margot Robbie. I've been passed over for a Nobel Prize in all fields.

I think an athlete should accept that if they value their new gender, they can no longer compete in sport. A transman will not have the physical ability and a transwoman will have an unfair advantage.

• Like 3

On 4/2/2024 at 4:17 AM, psyche101 said:

Imagine throwing a hateful hissy fit because Scottish hate laws have been expanded to protect transgender individuals.

https://www.equality-network.org/our-work/policy-team/hate-crime-in-scotland/

It's no surprise that Rowling neglects to mention that transgender individuals are several times more likely than cisgender people to experience violent victimization, including sexual assault and rape. It better suits her agenda to instead demonize them as abusers, rather than more accurately portraying them as victims and survivors of abuse.

I read an article recently that suggested her experience with domestic abuse and subsequent desire to protect women might be what's driving her over the top hostility. Whatever the reason, she's totally off the rails — a transphobe on steroids. What a hill to die on.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, pellinore said:

Afghanistan was a bad example of patriarchy I know. I was just giving examples of women losing out.

No it's a great example IMHO. 

Women who really are being treated badly. Women who actually do have real problems. 

This illustrates what real problems are. JK Rowling as far as I know hasn't had to share a change room with a trans person. She is angry about the idea of it. There are actually real world problems that are far more serious than her imagined problematic situations. There are some celebrities making a difference in this respect. Actually helping people in need. She's just making noise. 

I'm not sure. She's had plenty of attention since the success of HP.

I haven't heard much about Harry Potter for ages. They already did the stage shows, and the stars of the movies don't support her views in any way. The Christian satanic panic has passed. All I've heard for the last couple years is how the author of Harry Potter has gone on another rant. 

I'm pretty sure the majority of professional athletes (which includes Olympic ones) aren't happy at all. Medals means sponsorship and money, with a big difference between being the best in the world and being second best.

I have given you this link before have I not?

Majority of female athletes support the inclusion of transgender women

Researchers at Monash University recently surveyed athletes from six sports (including Aussie rules football and cricket) at 12 randomly selected community sports clubs. The study found less than a quarter of women (24 per cent) believed “trans women have an unfair advantage when they play on a female sport team” whereas nearly half of men (46 per cent) believed this to be the case.

These findings are consistent with other research conducted in 23 different sports, including team sports (e.g. soccer, netball and Aussie rules) as well as full-contact individual sports (e.g. kickboxing and taekwondo).

As far as I know, this is the only University backed official study. And it heavily contradicts social media talk and headlines. 

I get the culture wars. But there are plenty of examples of amateur football teams, etc, showing a trans member who is twice the height and weight of the others and their competitors. It is undeniable that most men are bigger and heavier than women. There is a real risk of injury to the smaller person in a collision in a contact sport.

And yet the story with actual female athletes shows that they don't feel that way. I also saw someone post about a trans person winning a skateboard contest. The trans person was definitely much smaller than the biological female. It's not a set rule, and no actual studies on performance have been carried out. Old scales have been used to draw up new laws. 

I think trans people should accept the lottery of life. A fat, dumpy, plain girl is not going to get the lead role in 'Barbie' however much she identifies as Margot Robbie. I've been passed over for a Nobel Prize in all fields.

I think an athlete should accept that if they value their new gender, they can no longer compete in sport. A transman will not have the physical ability and a transwoman will have an unfair advantage.

I've been overlooked for the nobel too. Rather rude isn't it. I get where you're coming from. 

Those restrictions still apply. As much as conservatives would like to think Arnold Schwarzenegger could put on a bikini, call himself female and compete, that's not even close to the reality of the situation. 

It's been going on for decades. It's not caused these problems in the past. Societies like Thailand live comfortably with switched gender roles. It's only recently I'm the western world where it has suddenly become an issue and mostly led by people who clearly don't play sport, and most I would bet don't even watch sports unless it's a national event. 

We have the ability, technology and tools to actually measure differences in performance. But that's never been done. I'd like to see actual results. Particularly so considering the view of the majority of female athletes. Extreme examples by complete amateurs have set this current bar. I just don't accept innuendo by strangers to the field when the actual participants are saying something else. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

Imagine throwing a hateful hissy fit because Scottish hate laws have been expanded to protect transgender individuals.

https://www.equality-network.org/our-work/policy-team/hate-crime-in-scotland/

It's no surprise that Rowling neglects to mention that transgender individuals are several times more likely than cisgender people to experience violent victimization, including sexual assault and rape. It better suits her agenda to instead demonize them as abusers, rather than more accurately portraying them as victims and survivors of abuse.

I read an article recently that suggested her experience with domestic abuse and subsequent desire to protect women might be what's driving her over the top hostility. Whatever the reason, she's totally off the rails — a transphobe on steroids. What a hill to die on.

Now that makes sense. I had a quick look around.....

In her essay, Rowling writes of her own struggles with sexism and misogyny, and her adolescent sense of being “mentally sexless”, adding that reading accounts of gender dysphoria by trans men had made her wonder “if I’d been born 30 years later, I too might have tried to transition”.

“The allure of escaping womanhood would have been huge. I struggled with severe OCD as a teenager. If I’d found community and sympathy online that I couldn’t find in my immediate environment, I believe I could have been persuaded to turn myself into the son my father had openly said he’d have preferred,” she wrote.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/books/2020/jun/10/jk-rowling-says-survivor-of-domestic-abuse-sexual-assault

That explains everything really. 

There's a lot going on in that head. Sad really. I'm sorry to hear her life was so crappy. It's just a real pity that now she wants to punish others for her unfortunate circumstance. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

@psyche101 I'll read your link and respond later. The reason why I'm not sure present Afghanistan society is a good example of patriarchy is because although the subjugation of women is just about complete, it is justified and enforced though religion.

Most explanations of patriarchy such as developed in Europe are more complex. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, pellinore said:

@psyche101 I'll read your link and respond later. The reason why I'm not sure present Afghanistan society is a good example of patriarchy is because although the subjugation of women is just about complete, it is justified and enforced though religion.

Most explanations of patriarchy such as developed in Europe are more complex. 

:tu:

• Like 2

• Like 1

10 hours ago, psyche101 said:

She targetted pedophiles. It's in the link. 

But she only cares about trans pedophiles because it makes headlines. Do you honestly believe there is no personal angle there? 

i'm saying the trans pedophiles are more difficult to target because society has decided to place a weird premium on being trans and overreacts to reasonable concerns if they conflict with any particular trans individuals' actions. it's a battleground to find out what is reasonable to object to and what is going to be broadly labeled "anti-trans". i propose that your very framing of this is evidence of that. jk rowling has stated that she isn't anti-trans but that it needs to be balanced with women's rights and safety. now all the discussion by people on all sides is over where the line is. is she anti-trans? is she just a staunch, traditional feminist? does she have a point? should she be arrested?

these are the questions that cause it to be an issue more than other issues that are also important. to question why it's an issue to her while there are other issues she doesn't seem to be addressing as fervently is part of the very battle. i'd say it's better to address whether or not she has a point than to insist she speak about all important things in order to be taken seriously on one important thing.

i'm not even a jk rowling fan. in part, i'm enjoying that the times have her defending a more (relatively) traditional stance. because i remember the time she criticized tolkien for not being feminist enough.

• Like 1