Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

“Threatening the president is a crime”: Expert says Trump Truth Social post may violate bail

Grim Reaper 6

Former President Donald Trump’s Truth Social post depicting President Joe Biden tied up in the back of a pickup truck may violate his bail conditions, according to former Mueller prosecutor Andrew Weissmann. “A standard condition of being out on bail applies in New York and in the D.C. federal case and in the Georgia state case: that you not commit a crime while you are out on bail,” Weissmann told MSNBC on Sunday.“Threatening the president of the United States is a crime, so the question would be the legal and factual question whether what he has engaged in with respect to posting the image of Joe Biden bound and gagged with what appears to be a bullet hole in his head constitutes that kind of threat.

“Threatening the president is a crime”: Expert says Trump Truth Social post may violate bail terms (msn.com)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

It's...iffy.  Yes, under Section 871, posting a picture of a kidnapped president would qualify as a threatening message, which would be a violation.  However, inflammatory statements happen, and the increased convenience and speed of communication makes it very easy for any headbutt to accidentally commit a violation.  Because of this, the intent of the message is extremely important.  The court must find that the threat was made with the intent to follow through, whether personally or through others.

That's what makes it tricky.  Trump has been accused of influencing others to commit crimes, on a grand scale.  It isn't even the first time he is being questioned about directly influencing people to threaten the highest office in the country (i.e. hanging Mike Pence).  We aren't talking about a has-been comedian holding a Trump mask.  We aren't even talking about a Republican fundraiser where attendees kicked and punched a wrestling dummy dressed up with a President Biden mask.  This is the actual candidate, the former president, who is fully cognizant of the law (because he directly violated it before) publicly doing it again.

I mean...can you even say someone like this is capable of learning from their mistakes?

• Like 7

LOL. Half of Hollywood should be in jail then.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

It used to be that the behavior tolerated from celebrities (yeah, the dancing bear occasionally craps on the carpet, big deal) and the behavior expected from the people representing our country to the world, were held to be two vastly separate standards.

Then one of the parties started hiring celebrities as representatives.  And now we got a former president who looks like he was bitten by a radioactive chicken wing posting a picture of the target of his jealousy bound and kidnapped in the back of a truck.  And no one is surprised in the slightest.  Republicans got 40 years of lowered expectations working for them.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I guess Kathy Griffin did no wrong. :wacko:

TrumpHead.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

According to whom?  It was the final nail on her already dead career, even though it was ultimately judged to not be a violation of the law because it was deemed not to be of threatening nature.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, aquatus1 said:

According to whom?  It was the final nail on her already dead career, even though it was ultimately judged to not be a violation of the law because it was deemed not to be of threatening nature.

When she was on The View. She said herself she got a visit from the FBI about that stunt. Then her career went downhill after that. But now it's on the upswing.

• Like 1

Hanging a president in effigy is protected free speech and referred to as symbolic speech. So I fail to see any difference in the hanging effigy and the painted one. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Hawken said:

When she was on The View. She said herself she got a visit from the FBI about that stunt. Then her career went downhill after that. But now it's on the upswing.

Nah.  You didn't hear about her for year before the mask thing.  Now, she's doing comeback tours based around the mask.  Celebrities...wadda ya gonna do?  I approve separating celebrities from politicians.  One is a career for clowns; the other is suffering because the clowns have been endorsed as candidates..

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Buzz_Light_Year said:

Hanging a president in effigy is protected free speech and referred to as symbolic speech. So I fail to see any difference in the hanging effigy and the painted one. 

Well, here's a hint:  One was done by a crowd at a protest.  The other one was done by a single individual on a personal social media account.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, aquatus1 said:

It used to be that the behavior tolerated from celebrities (yeah, the dancing bear occasionally craps on the carpet, big deal) and the behavior expected from the people representing our country to the world, were held to be two vastly separate standards.

Then one of the parties started hiring celebrities as representatives.  And now we got a former president who looks like he was bitten by a radioactive chicken wing posting a picture of the target of his jealousy bound and kidnapped in the back of a truck.  And no one is surprised in the slightest.  Republicans got 40 years of lowered expectations working for them.

• Al Franken
  • Cynthia Nixon
  • Park Overall
  • Clay Aiken
  • Melisa Gilbert
  • J G Hertzler
  • Ben Jones
  • Sheila Kuehl
  • Jerry Springer

The list goes on and as far back as Daniel Boone or Will Rogers

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, aquatus1 said:

Nah.  You didn't hear about her for year before the mask thing.  Now, she's doing comeback tours based around the mask.  Celebrities...wadda ya gonna do?  I approve separating celebrities from politicians.  One is a career for clowns; the other is suffering because the clowns have been endorsed as candidates..

Really? I thought both were human. But then again it depends on the person if one likes or dislikes the individual.

Which is why in the courts there is Due Process or innocent people could go to the gas chambers.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, OverSword said:
  • Al Franken
  • Cynthia Nixon
  • Park Overall
  • Clay Aiken
  • Melisa Gilbert
  • J G Hertzler
  • Ben Jones
  • Sheila Kuehl
  • Jerry Springer

Not too mention you literally cannot watch any awards show like Oscars or Grammys without some ******* entertainer turning their acceptance speech into some anti-right political screed.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, OverSword said:
  • Al Franken
  • Cynthia Nixon
  • Park Overall
  • Clay Aiken
  • Melisa Gilbert
  • J G Hertzler
  • Ben Jones
  • Sheila Kuehl
  • Jerry Springer

Do I really need to emphasize that we are talking about politicians?  Elected officials?  Is that going to be the standard now, having to remind people every post what the topic is about?  Even when the entire point of my posts are about the differences between the two?

Hire a celebrity for your commercials.  That's fine. That's what they are for.  Don't hire them to represent (or worse, run) your country if they do not have any relevant experience in political management and leadership.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

2 minutes ago, Edumakated said:

Not too mention you literally cannot watch any awards show like Oscars or Grammys without some ******* entertainer turning their acceptance speech into some anti-right political screed.

Exactly.  You start giving celebrities the idea that they need to, by the sheer fact of being famous, use their influence for political change.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Hawken said:

Really? I thought both were human.

2e4c368af26331a389de1deea23cd8cf.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, aquatus1 said:

2e4c368af26331a389de1deea23cd8cf.jpg

Keep grasping for straws. :w00t:

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

17 minutes ago, aquatus1 said:

Do I really need to emphasize that we are talking about politicians?  Elected officials?  Is that going to be the standard now, having to remind people every post what the topic is about?  Even when the entire point of my posts are about the differences between the two?

Hire a celebrity for your commercials.  That's fine. That's what they are for.  Don't hire them to represent (or worse, run) your country if they do not have any relevant experience in political management and leadership.

Maybe try reading the part or your post I highlighted and then don't blame me that you only hold one party to certain standards which both break.

• Like 5

59 minutes ago, aquatus1 said:

Well, here's a hint:  One was done by a crowd at a protest.  The other one was done by a single individual on a personal social media account.

Irrelevant! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hawken said:

I guess Kathy Griffin did no wrong. :wacko:

TrumpHead.jpg

I don't think she was out on bail at the time....

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Robotic Jew said:

I don't think she was out on bail at the time....

Not to mention not running for President. It takes a real ****ing moron to call the two things equal.

Washed up comic makes a lame threat/joke/whatever you want to call it, who cares.

Guy trying to get elected president does the same thing? Not the same thing at all. We all know trump has no tact or decency, but some things you just don't do when you are running for President. Trump does them all. Certain people seem to love that. Certain people have zero class.

Edited by moonman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 5

7 minutes ago, moonman said:

Guy trying to get elected president does the same thing?

Not the same thing. Don't get me wrong Trump is an idiot and there is a good chance if you or I posted a picture of Biden being kidnapped we could expect the FBI to come over for a little talk at the very least.

21 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Not the same thing. Don't get me wrong Trump is an idiot and there is a good chance if you or I posted a picture of Biden being kidnapped we could expect the FBI to come over for a little talk at the very least.

Trump does this intentionally because it drives the haters crazy and to react irrationally . Genius!

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, WVK said:

Genius!

Is it though?

43 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Is it though?

Trump could be the nicest and kindest man but the left would still accuse him of being a racist, etc.  All one has to do is look back at how the left treated McCain, Romney, Bush, etc.  They made the same accusations against them.

I think Trump just figures, screw it.  Fight fire with fire.  His advantage is also that he doesn't care what the left and media thinks.  This was a huge weakness of the establishment Republicans.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1