Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Spirituality of Pagans and Non-Believers

Guyver

I don’t claim to be an actual practicing Pagan.  So, if there are some reading this thread, please accept my apologies, I know that formally, I probably fail at describing Paganism.  But, I do consider myself at least partially Pagan, partially Spiritual, and fully Hopeful Agnostic.  Anyway. I am also a non-believer so I believe I am qualified to speak from that perspective.  So, I welcome a discussion from anyone who understands or practices Paganism, those who consider themselves spiritual, or non-believers.

• Like 3

Even though I am a lifestyle-somewhat practicing pagan and non-believer, I find myself still being spiritual in a way that will be difficult for me to describe, but I will do my best.  I believe in living according to two things, management by objectives, and life by principles.  I believe and support the idea of living by principles, and I consider that a part of my own spirituality.  The reason that I believe that living according to one’s own principles is spirituality is because it is a form of truth. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I believe that there are many agnostics and non-believers who accept and practice many positive principles that believers themselves do not practice except by lip service.  These people, are actually practicing a form of spirituality, IMO, even though they are non-believers.

• Like 3

Having said that….in a very small way, like the wise Master Solomon from the Bible, I have set my heart to understand things in a modern and scientific way.  And, what I find, is that there are things, experiences, whatever you want to call them…that seem to exist to me…and they are more than what science understands, and more than what I myself understand.  There are mysteries about things that are spiritual, IMO….and I feel happy to be a part of some positive spiritual experiences that validate my faith….even though I formally have no faith.  If that makes sense to anyone.

In other words….I believe in something….but I don’t know what it is.  That is my faith.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

you seem to be flailing through the cosmos, seeking validation, latching onto anything that strokes your ego while attacking anything that does not.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Alex_Rogan said:

you seem to be flailing through the cosmos, seeking validation, latching onto anything that strokes your ego while attacking anything that does not.

I think your on to something, he certainly seems lost and very confused!:huh:

50 minutes ago, Alex_Rogan said:

Really?  Ouch.  That hurt but in a good way.  Thank you sir, may I have another?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Grim Reaper 6 said:

I think your on to something, he certainly seems lost and very confused!:huh:

Oh…I am fully lost, and totally confused.  I could tell a story about a woman who told me I was lost to my face and also wanted to be my lover, and I wished to be hers…..I knew I was lost probably at that point….but I had not yet admitted to myself that I actually was lost at that point.

• Like 2

But, I do believe in my experiences.  I have so much to say, there is so much I do not understand…yet….it’s almost as if the universe can sometimes interact with humans in a certain way….IMO.  I don’t understand it myself, otherwise, I would be a wise master, and you may be hailing me?  Or not.  Either way, I don’t know what it is, and I know many people could rationalize it away somehow….but there is something I can’t explain that seems unusual from a scientific perspective, or even impossible….yet it is real, IMO.  I know I cannot prove this scientifically and I don’t expect anyone to believe me….I’m just stating what I believe, and if asked, I will provide detailed experiences about why I believe as I do.

• Like 1

I am so lost that I actually studied the Eleven Rules of the Earth from Satanism….and guess what?  I find that I agree with those principles more than the principles from the Ten Commandments of the Bible, except that I do believe in being honest and not stealing from others, as well as disrespecting elders if one can help it.

• Thanks 1

I’m only speaking for myself….but…I have been observing…and it seems to me like everyone does believe something, and when I finally gave up believing in anything, I am starting to believe in something again.  It’s not like it’s a big deal, it’s just helping me.  I don’t understand it.  I don’t like it.  There is so much pain and suffering going on all the time in this world?!  It’s gross…how can this be ordained?  It is the most difficult of questions, I cannot answer it.  I have accepted that.  But, there are still other things to be learned about the world we actually do live in…that, I want to be open….but…I just think there is no explanation.  It’s like UFO’s.

UFO’s apparently are real…but know one admits to knowing what they are.

Except crazy people.  Crazy people believe it’s aliens….right?

Do you know why that question sounds so crazy?  It’s because most people do not have a rational answer for the phenomenon.  It is something not understood.  It may be real or not?  Seriously?  How could aliens be coming here?  Do you know how far a light year is?  It is a really, really long time.  There are no aliens that we know of that could exist only one light year from here.

What I meant was, one light year is a tremendous amount of distance to cover, and something we can’t even dream about doing right now.

PS.  I got to see a space launch tonight with my binoculars and it was amazing!  I could see the stages separate.

• Like 1

how many people wrecked their lives trying to be like Jim Morrison?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Guyver said:

PS.  I got to see a space launch tonight with my binoculars and it was amazing!  I could see the stages separate.

that is awesome

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

one time, I was lost on the side of a mountain. I had just hiked above the tree line to the peak of an ancient volcano that had blown out it's entire side.

Everything above the treeline was off-trail. I lost track of where I could find the trail on the descent.

I slid into the treeline and became utterly disoriented. The closest I ever felt to being lost. Horrible feeling.

I remembered things I learned from some Navajo friends and reached out in spirit. A song bird started fluttering in the trees nearby and out of desperation I asked it to show me the way.

It flittered from tree to tree and I followed until I found a trail that tied into the original trail that led me to the mountain top. 

Does that make me pagan? lucky? interpreting coincidence for guidance? true believer? 

I don't know, but it was an awesome hike with a rare view.

Edited by Alex_Rogan
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Alex_Rogan said:

Well, Jim Morrison for a start...

• Haha 6

23 minutes ago, Alex_Rogan said:

Really?  People ruined their lives trying to be Jim Morrison?  How dumb is that?  Who could be that guy?  Val Kilmer crushed his performance as Jim Morrison.  But, normal people can’t be like Jim Morrison, or Janis Joplin or Jim Hendrix. They are special, and they are effed up to the max.  They just drink themselves to death.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Alchopwn said:

Well, Jim Morrison for a start...

is there a thread about the 27 club? Now I wonder who was the first.

I heard when the 27th of the 27 Club dies... the world will end.

Just joking, of course.... or am I?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Alex_Rogan said:

is there a thread about the 27 club? Now I wonder who was the first.

I heard when the 27th of the 27 Club dies... the world will end.

Just joking, of course.... or am I?

Please describe it.  I have heard something of it.  You’re right 27.  Holy crap.  That is so young.  

2 minutes ago, Guyver said:

Really?  People ruined their lives trying to be Jim Morrison?  How dumb is that?  Who could be that guy?  Val Kilmer crushed his performance as Jim Morrison.  But, normal people can’t be like Jim Morrison, or Janis Joplin or Jim Hendrix. They are special, and they are effed up to the max.  They just drink themselves to death.

you wouldn't know the names of people who destroyed themselves emulating the lifestyle. They all went mad and/or died tragically. I've met and lost several, myself. They all thought they were rockstars living on the edge of reality.

Just now, Guyver said:

Please describe it.  I have heard something of it.  You’re right 27.  Holy crap.  That is so young.  

I'm sure you've heard of it. Rock stars that died tragically at 27 years old. Jim, Janice, Cobain. I'm sure there are others. They tried to include Amy Winehouse, but I don't know anyone that could name one of her songs.

We had a great poster in the 90's of Cobain walking into a room with Janice and Jimi etc. Anyone remember that poster?

• Like 1

I’m going to say this, because I have studied.  Jim Morrison was actually really shy at first. In fact, he was so shy, that in his first three performances on the sunset strip, he played with his back to the crowd.  

At one show, there was a record producer who said, you guys might be good, if your singer would turn around and face the crowd.  So, the band had a meeting, and the guys told Jim that he had to turn around and face the crowd when he was singing.  That is when the monster was born. 

• Thanks 1